The Queen of the South thread

9 minutes ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Would rather Hilson and Smith than Dykes

Couldn't agree more Dykes is one of worst I've seen up front for Queens in along time. Surely Aiden Smith would of been a better choice to keep as back up for Dobbie ,Del and whomever comes in as a striker.

Carmichael can't cross with his left or right foot so I never understand why folk get so hung up on him playing on the left. If a wide man is capable of taking on players then surely it doesn't matter what side they're on?

Thomas was a real threat last week at Falkirk when he came on playing wide left - I was astonished that he didn't continue on his natural side today.

I cant remember the last time Danny got to the bye line on the left - a lot of the time Marshall is further forward than he is.

On the positive Andy Stirling is a good signing but a sad day when stalwarts like Dowser and Higgy are both allowed to move on.Best of luck to both of these guys.

16 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Carmichael can't cross with his left or right foot so I never understand why folk get so hung up on him playing on the left. If a wide man is capable of taking on players then surely it doesn't matter what side they're on?

I think it is a psychological thing for the player. If he wants to take the man on and go around the outside, being on the 'wrong' side means controlling the ball with his weaker foot up against the touchline. This adds pressure to the natural tendency anyway to use his stronger foot, and if he comes inside on his stronger foot there is a wide open field in front of him, increasing the likelihood he is going to keep running inside - eventually hitting traffic.

In theory it shouldn't matter which side the wide man is on as you say, however (at least for the technically limited players in our division) it does make a difference.

49 minutes ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Unfortunately dykes was given a years extension by someone just before Naysmith was appointed, by the club.

I can understand folk wanting right footers to be on the right and lefties to be on the left. I just think some people focus too much on it. Thomas did well on the right and scored a couple of goals by cutting in. And we're not losing out on Beckhamesque crosses from Dan by him playing on the left rather than right.

I don't think I've ever went from really liking a player to borderline loathing a player in a single season but that's exactly what's happened with Dykes. At the start I thought he was sharp out on the left, wasn't afraid to run at people, would go up to win his headers and looked like a pacy wide player. Now I think he looks disinterested, has the Scott Robertson curse of being tall but unable to jump and looks to have no pace whatsoever. I genuinely don't know what's happened to him. I said weeks ago he looked disinterested and got pelters. If folk are watching him thinking otherwise then they're clearly seeing something different to me. His refusal to go up for headers today was really starting to grind on me. And there was 2 or 3 round me who were clearly feeling the same. A sarcastic cheer by some members of the crowd when he was subbed said it all really.

Thought Dykes done well as target man today. He won a lot of ball and link up with Dobbie was good. When he went off we lacked the height to win the ball when balls were played long as the game became desperate

1 minute ago, queenslad said:

Thought Dykes done well as target man today. He won a lot of ball and link up with Dobbie was good. When he went off we lacked the height to win the ball when balls were played long as the game became desperate

Were you watching the same game? Was that a good clearance at the end by Robinson aswell?

Watching Rankin play makes me yearn for the days of Millar and Pickard. He runs about like a decapitated Foghorn Leghorn, ah say Foghorn Leghorn. Two year deals for him and Mercer is money down the gurgler imo. The Manager's summer recruitments will have to be a better class than these two he already brought in. The signing of Stirling will hopefully turn out to be worthwhile but I think the club needs to target at least a couple of better quality players to show that they have serious aspirations of challenging at the top end of the table.

The wingers debate goes on. I played boys football from 81 til 84 when the system was 3-2-5 and I was the left winger as I was left footed. There was no question of me playing on the right wing and the same went for our right winger as he was never on the left wing. We would never cut inside onto our weaker foot, as our aim was to get past the full back and cross the ball into the penalty area.

Carmichael isn't a winger. In his pomp he played a free role so this relentless whinging about him being on wrong wing is misplaced.

This is an interesting take on Danny. I would hazard a guess that in his time with us before going to Hibs he must have had played 90% of his games for us wide right in midfield - he has played occasionally in the so called "no 10 role" and he played left midfield at times.

If he is not a winger then the term is probably now extinct from the footballing vocabulary.

My point in the Danny issue is this - since GN arrived we have a deplorable home record- I haven't checked the stats but I would be surprised if we weren't the worst performing home side in that period. He has tried many attacking permutations - but still the defeats come thick and fast. One of the most obvious and logical tactics would have been to at least try Danny and Thomas for a couple of games on their natural sides. For a player of his quality I am guessing that Danny has not come back cheaply and can anybody honestly say that he has done himself justice stuck out wide left playing deeper and deeper and spending his time covering Marshall when he strides forward?

1 hour ago, DOONHAMERS1919 said:

The wingers debate goes on. I played boys football from 81 til 84 when the system was 3-2-5 and I was the left winger as I was left footed. There was no question of me playing on the right wing and the same went for our right winger as he was never on the left wing. We would never cut inside onto our weaker foot, as our aim was to get past the full back and cross the ball into the penalty area.

Of course boys football from over 30 years ago is so comparable to senior professional football today. 

Of course boys football from over 30 years ago is so comparable to senior professional football today. 

I'm not saying it is comparable to the modern game but nowadays the two wide players in midfield are effectively wingers so why change their natural sides.

Guest Flash
2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

My point in the Danny issue is this - since GN arrived we have a deplorable home record- I haven't checked the stats but I would be surprised if we weren't the worst performing home side in that period.

Had a quick look. Naysmith has been in charge for 11 home league games - Won 3 Drawn 2 Lost 6 gaining 11 points. Only Ayr have a worse home record over their last 11 games, gaining 8 points. When the Diddy Cup game v Dundee U is included, we have won 3 home games out of 12 and lost 7 of them.

Points totals over the last 11 home games are

DU   22; Hibs 21; St. Mirren 19; Falkirk 17; Morton 17; Dunfermline 16; Dumbarton 15; Raith 15; QoS 11; Ayr 8.

13 hours ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

So would I but it goes against the Manager's preference for a tall target man up front for the keeper to hoof the ball up to. Nothing wrong with that tactic occasionally but we seem to do it continually and usually with a poor end result.

I can't get too emotional about Higgins and Dowie leaving. I've never been a great fan of Higgins playing wise and Dowie hasn't been at his best since the opening quarter of the season. Granted they have served the Club well since they have been here, especially Higgins carrying out his captain's duties, but they, and Brownlie, continually do my head in when they back-off opponents running at them allowing them to get into dangerous positions. It  often ends with them giving away stupid fouls around the penalty area and our record of (not) defending those is clear to see. We need commanding central defenders, whether Naysmith has the ability, or money, to recruit better than we have let go remains to be seen. His recruitment up to now has been suspect to say the least.

There are certain questionable things about this summers comings and goings. Questionable decision 1 is releasing Dowie and Higgins. Not many available better quality centre backs available compared to Higgy. Questionable decision 2 is keeping Tapping but not Hilson. Questionable decision 3 is keeping Ross Fergusson over Aidan Smith who are both 1997 players. I don't know anyone who thinks Fergusson is better than Smith so its a baffling decision. Smith has done very well at Annan of late too. Final questionable decision is keeping Akubuine but releasing Moxon. Moxon has featuring in matchday squads several times yet Akubuine has never. Both are born in 98 and both are centre mids. The thing I can't get my head around is why if Moxon is deemed good enough for the squads he was released first? I felt him and Brotherston both showed promise