The Queen of the South thread

9 minutes ago, outsider said:

Let it go, if this is all you've got to moan about I'd say you're doing no' bad.......

1 minute ago, outsider said:

I'll no' be coming on here telling you what to do, I'll let you work out the rest...

Enjoy the rest of your night.

Er, you just did :rolleyes:

So so far it's(?):-

GK - Robinson

RB - Mercer
CB - Brownlie
CB - ?
LB - Marshall

RM - Stirling/Murray
CM - Tapping/Jacobs
CM - Rankin
LM - Carmichael?

ST - Lyle/Dykes
ST - Dobbie

12 first team players signed?

It's a pretty shocking statement to make when you have Dobbie in there but that makes for grim reading at this point. Naysmith has a big job on his hands this summer and at least if it goes tits up he'll have to take the flack himself.

For me we need an experienced CB to go alongside Brownlie. A new RB. Loan Mercer out if need be but he's not good enough for this level just now and if he is intending on playing Jacobs there permanently then I'll e concerned. A LM is definitely needed as is one or two CM's. If Tapping is fit for the season then I'm over the moon about him signing but it's a big risk so it's a subdued feeling.

Disappointed a release hasn't been negotiated for Dykes.

I'm sure we've ended a season with less than 12 before. When everyone seemed to be on 1 year contracts.

5 minutes ago, Chupacabra said:

I tweeted them afterwards asking what's going on, no reply and then they tweeted something 10 minutes later so they must be ignoring it. 

Coral have told me that mine hasn't settled yet due to it being placed 10 months ago and to keep checking.

1 minute ago, spacekid84 said:

Coral have told me that mine hasn't settled yet due to it being placed 10 months ago and to keep checking.

Does it say 'settled' on yours though? If it said 'open' or 'pending' on mine I wouldn't be concerned.

Edited by Chupacabra

3 minutes ago, The Caul Back said:

Who in their like mind would give Dykes a 2 year contract, he can't score, he lacks pace, and spends most of the games running about like a headless chicken, and on his backside

I don't actually mind him as a player. Its his cringy social media patter with his new girlfriend that puts me right off him.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Jim Atkinson, Scott Hooper, Jamie Hamill, Andy Dowie, Chris Higgins, Scott Hooper, Steven Rigg, Dale Hilson, Aidan Smith, Dean Brotherston and Owen Moxon all released. 

Danny Carmichael considering an offer.

Darren Brownlie, Derek Lyle, Callum Tapping and Connor Murray all sign extensions. Youngsters Ross Fergusson, Jesse Akubuine & Jack Leighfield also. Andy Stirling confirmed as joining from Dumbarton.

Any word on where Hilson is going? I know he's had pretty severe injury issues, but he's a wee player I've always liked the look of. If we could get him fit he might be a decent replacement for Stirling.

Any word on where Hilson is going? I know he's had pretty severe injury issues, but he's a wee player I've always liked the look of. If we could get him fit he might be a decent replacement for Stirling.

I think he'd do well for you. I'm disappointed to see him leave, to be honest.

I am disappointed to hear that both Higgy and Andy Dowie have been freed. Firstly, I would endorse some earlier comments that both have been terrific players for us. Higgy was great for us in our "double" winning team and then he and Dowser were the cornerstone of our defence along with Mark Durnan when we qualified for two consecutive Play Offs.Both guys deserve tremendous credit for always displaying a tremendous attitude and for their professionalism over many years.

I admit that neither have been at their best this season but you could say that about the majority of the squad.In the last two games for example Higgy has been rock solid and having watched him today there is no way that he is "finished" at this level. He looked the best central defender on show today and our loss will be some other team's gain. Dowser has tailed off a bit by his own high standards but to let both go you have to be sure that better replacements can be found.There is very little that GN has done to date that inspires any great confidence so I will be very interested to see who ultimately comes in to replace them.

If we have offered Tapping a full years extension with no "injury protection" in our favour then that decision beggars belief. If we have offered a deal slanted in our favour - fair enough. On the basis that Tapping is worth another chance surely Hilson falls into same category?

I would like to see Danny get back to his best with us but his continual deployment wide left is mystifying to say the least. Yet again today he and Thomas kept repeatedly cutting inside on to their good foot and running into traffic.

My conclusion is that we are letting some quality players disappear - sincerely hope that Manager has good players lined up because I wouldn't fancy our chances of starting to find replacements with a blank piece of paper.

Be careful what we wish for.

Totally agree with Rjc's comments.   Especially regarding Higgins and Carmichael.   In what has been a challenging season for everyone I think Higgins has been harshly treated.  An excellent and exemplary Captain for us. Good to see him produce solid displays in his last few games.   I wish him well wherever he goes, whatever he does.

I have mentioned the Carmichael/Thomas deployment many times and cannot believe it is still happening.   Every time either get in a good attacking position they have to cut back inside and - as Rjc says - " run into traffic" and inevitably the play is slowed down considerably and the threat gone.   I noticed today that the only decent chance we created 1st half was when, shock horror, they switched and Carmichael got round the outside on the right leading to a Dobbie effort going very close.   Needless to say this switch did not last long !

I heard some people say today that Carmichael has not done much since his return.  Now his injury may well have contributed to that but I would say he has not been given the chance to play to his strengths i.e. on the right running at defenders and allowing us to break at pace.  Remember those days ?

We are also so much more of a threat when Lyle is alongside Dobbie.   With Del returning from injury that could only be for a short period today but what a difference.

However, the Manager chose not to play that combination when it was available to him on several occasions this season which concerns me greatly along with many other aspects of his approach.

We have the potential to be really attacking and create lots of chances with the players we have but they have to be deployed in the right way. I certainly want - and hope - to see a more attacking, exciting brand of football like we became used to post 2012.