The Queen of the South thread

Probably been posted elsewhere but Dobbs has (obviously) made the division's team of the year.

http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/pfa-scotland-teams-of-the-year-83/

Looking at the line-up it would be a cracking side right enough. It's missing a good DM though so swap Andreu with Jacobs and we're laughing :lol:

Not sure how it will become any clearer tomorrow.   It will hardly be announced.   I am sure the Manager knows exactly who is staying and who is going and it would be nice for the fans to know ahead of the final game  so certain players could be shown appreciation.

I suspect he will bin Higgins - hope not - and if so I would show him the respect he deserves and make him Captain for the day.  This is the guy who captained us to a memorable double and led us twice into the play-offs.  Has always given 100% for the team and I think has been harshly treated by both Skelton and Naysmith.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Probably been posted elsewhere but Dobbs has (obviously) made the division's team of the year.

http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/pfa-scotland-teams-of-the-year-83/

Looking at the line-up it would be a cracking side right enough. It's missing a good DM though so swap Andreu with Jacobs and we're laughing :lol:

Cammy Bell in goals though. 

image.gif

Unlike our Manager I do not like criticising players when the season is still alive although technically the season is not finished yet but I guess on the eve of the last match I can give my opinions.

Robinson - Can understand peoples frustration with him but his 'antics' don't really bother me. Lots seem to have taken a dislike to him but remember his 'antics' helped us considerably to a fantastic double once upon a time.  Moreover, he has saved us on many more an occasion this season than he has cost us.   In most games I have seen he has made outstanding saves.

Hamill - Finished.

Mercer - Not good enough. Poor signing.

Brownlie - Still not convinced. Too often seems the weak link.

Dowie - Good player for us but has now reached the end of the road for us.  Cruelly shown up by Austin in last Falkirk match at Palmerston.

Higgins -  Has had a poor season by his standards.   Poorly treated by  both Skelton and Naysmith.   Well worth keeping.

Marshall - No question.

Carmichael -  Needs a proper pre-season AND to be played in his natural position where he can run at people.  I don't know if his injury prevents him from running at pace with the ball now but I would certainly love to see him encouraged to give it a try.

Jacobs - Fine in midfield.  NEVER a RB.   Poor decision making by Naysmith.

Rankin - Not convinced at all but I guess he will be here - Manager's favourite.

Tapping - I really have liked the look of this guy when he has played.   Very difficult decision.  Would probably give him another chance.

Lyle - No question. Legend, ultimate professional. Fit enough for one more season although recent injury is a concern.

Dobbie - No question.

Dykes - Rip up contract.

Rigg - Never good enough.

Hilson - Like Tapping has had limited opportunities but, for me, not shown enough.  Time to move on.

Naysmith - Not impressed at all.  Negative attitude and approach to playing football.  Don't trust him to build a squad that will provide the attacking, entertaining football we have been used to seeing in recent years.    In my eyes time to move on but I don't  think we can afford the financial hit.   If things don't change and improve though could well be gone by autumn.

We definitely need a good RB, a strong dominant CH alongside Higgins, left sided winger/midfielder - Russell has been sorely missed -  and a decent striker as back-up toDobbie and Lyle.

Edited by Nithsdale Wanderer
punctuation

Is it Dykes, Marshall, Robinson, Rankin and God who are signed for next season? Of those 5 I wouldn't be arsed if Dykes and Marshall were canned.

Lyle - Keep.

Tapping - Give him a contract to January otherwise no. I like him but he isn't worth the risk.

Jacobs - Keep.

Hilson - Exactly the same as Tapping.

Rigg - Can.

Carmichael - Would like him to stay but given he's been nowhere near as good as before I wouldn't be devastated if he didn't stay. If Stirling has joined then I'd be even less gutted.

Higgins and Dowie - One has to go I'm afraid. I really couldn't care either way. But they have both been very good servants.

Brownlie - Keep. But if he doesn't mature next season and stop giving away ridiculously obvious fouls I'd want rid the season after.

Mercer - Said at the time he was a waste of a signing and didn't offer us anything Hamill (or Brannan) couldn't. Can.

Hamill - Thought he was doing OK at RB but it's clear he'll be away.

I think next season is going to be quite a struggle. I base that purely on my lack of belief in Naysmith bringing in the right players. Obviously I want that to be wrong. But going by what he served up so far I'll be surprised if it is. If he continues to slate the players publicly then I expect he'll have lost the dressing room by Christmas at the latest.

2 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Not sure how it will become any clearer tomorrow.   It will hardly be announced.   I am sure the Manager knows exactly who is staying and who is going and it would be nice for the fans to know ahead of the final game  so certain players could be shown appreciation.

I suspect he will bin Higgins - hope not - and if so I would show him the respect he deserves and make him Captain for the day.  This is the guy who captained us to a memorable double and led us twice into the play-offs.  Has always given 100% for the team and I think has been harshly treated by both Skelton and Naysmith.

I can't see why you think Higgins was harshly treated by Skelton, as you've said in two posts. He unfortunately picked up an injury in the first game away to Dundee Utd, Dowie and Brownlie then formed a decent central defensive partnership in a team which was playing well at the time, and which didn't concede goals as cheaply as they do now. Skelton kept faith in a settled defence which was unfortunate for Higgins, but understandable given the team performances.

Here, any of you boys that backed Dobbie to be top scorer might be in luck today. Cummings has been ill all week and only trained on Thursday, late decision on whether he'll play or not to be made today. 

51 minutes ago, Zing. said:

Here, any of you boys that backed Dobbie to be top scorer might be in luck today. Cummings has been ill all week and only trained on Thursday, late decision on whether he'll play or not to be made today. 

I did, cheers m9.

I know what you Hibs boys are like. So is this a wind up? If not you've no idea how much I'll be jumping on my bed :lol:

43 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I know what you Hibs boys are like. So is this a wind up? If not you've no idea how much I'll be jumping on my bed :lol:

Very end of this article :) 

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/two-up-from-championship-predicts-hibs-jordon-forster-1-4438510

Im guessing he will still play a part though. He'll be desperate to be top scorer. 

3 minutes ago, Zing. said:

Very end of this article :) 

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/two-up-from-championship-predicts-hibs-jordon-forster-1-4438510

Im guessing he will still play a part though. He'll be desperate to be top scorer. 

If Cummings is potentially looking to move On, Hibs won't risk him. It's a totally sensible decision.

Alternatively he could just not be fit.

13 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

You can usually tell the way the players act at the end who is for the off. I mostly agree with who you would keep. I agree Higgy is worth keeping over Dowser and would also bin Brownlie. He is pish. Would keep Hilson though! A good pre season and he will be firing on all cylinders.

Dowie is a better player than Higgins imo

Last season I'd have been 100% in agreement with this but Dowie hasn't been the same player as last year. I said earlier in the season that I think this should be the last season for both of them as they'll both be done by next season at this level. But I'd be shocked if at least one of them wasn't retained.

I would rather they both went this season in case they were in fact awful next season. I'd rather remember them as good servants rather than spending all of next season saying "I can't wait for Higgins/Dowie to go".