The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

As others have said, there was a different kit for the European tie, to follow the other unique ones for the semi final and final of the Scottish Cup.  It must mean that over a four month spell the players wore five different home kits. 

Of course that European appearance is "worthy of recognition".  I'm just not sure that coincidentally arriving back at the same sponsor, particularly provides it.

Its not like Im suggesting this is the only thing to do but what harm would it be? It would be a nice nod to the ties and would also mean we'd get a logo that we know looks good. Obviously, its just an idea and Houstons can put what they like on the top but Im struggling to see what there is to object to

Guest Flash
13 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

We sign the players we do and finish where we do because of what we can afford to spend.  That's not to say we couldn't do better with our budget, but it is to say that it provides no evidence of an actual desire to never go up.

God knows, I'm happy enough to criticise the board when I think it's merited.  However,  I'm not going to have a go because we spend what we can afford.  If that doesn't inspire dafties with a ludicrous notion of 'ambition' to come along, I'll live with it.

Apologies for interrupting the shirt chat, but just want to pick up on this point.

I think you might have misunderstood what I was saying. I wasn't suggesting the club should set its budget based on spending money it does not have. I was talking about signing players immediately before the play-offs when it is not clear which division we will be in. If we won promotion, we would need better players. But we would also have far higher income due to increased attendances and prize money and would therefore be able to afford some better players.

So, if you start signing players for the following season who are clearly well below Premiership standard, it sends out a message. The point is the club appears to be signing Championship jobbers for the following season before it is known what division it will be playing in. Of course whether the "dafties", as you put it, think this way is perhaps open to question. All I am saying is that the club should try to avoid reinforcing negative views, however ridiculous they might seem to the small minority of the population who actually regularly go to games. I don't think this translates into having a go at the board.

As for the shirt draw, imo we should reduce the cost of the entries, but stop giving away season tickets. At the moment, the club is making £144 (ignoring VAT) per entry. So, they could reduce the cost to, say, £250 and make an extra £100 per entry. Of course, most maybe only apply for it because they get a season ticket. If that is the case, then the cost of entry should be increased, imo.

Eta I see Rankin is in the news http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39742718

Edited by Flash

The Home kit looks great and the '1919' on the back of the collar is a nice touch. Adding the sponsor will only ruin it. :lol:

The away kit however is quite dull and appears more like a training top to me. 

25 minutes ago, Flash said:

Apologies for interrupting the shirt chat, but just want to pick up on this point.

I think you might have misunderstood what I was saying. I wasn't suggesting the club should set its budget based on spending money it does not have. I was talking about signing players immediately before the play-offs when it is not clear which division we will be in. If we won promotion, we would need better players. But we would also have far higher income due to increased attendances and prize money and would therefore be able to afford some better players.

So, if you start signing players for the following season who are clearly well below Premiership standard, it sends out a message. The point is the club appears to be signing Championship jobbers for the following season before it is known what division it will be playing in. Of course whether the "dafties", as you put it, think this way is perhaps open to question. All I am saying is that the club should try to avoid reinforcing negative views, however ridiculous they might seem to the small minority of the population who actually regularly go to games. I don't think this translates into having a go at the board.

As for the shirt draw, imo we should reduce the cost of the entries, but stop giving away season tickets. At the moment, the club is making £144 (ignoring VAT) per entry. So, they could reduce the cost to, say, £250 and make an extra £100 per entry. Of course, most maybe only apply for it because they get a season ticket. If that is the case, then the cost of entry should be increased, imo.

Eta I see Rankin is in the news http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39742718

I agree but Ithink a lot of people effectively enter the shirt draw as a way of getting a season ticket but putting extra money into the club.

I'd have two prices, one including a season ticket and one without.

Guest Flash
1 minute ago, Mr X said:

I agree but Ithink a lot of people effectively enter the shirt draw as a way of getting a season ticket but putting extra money into the club.

I was thinking that too. But not sure how that would work for tax relief purposes. I think the full £400 would be tax deductible just now because it is sponsorship. Whereas if you have a different price for sponsorship with and without a ticket, the ticket part might not be allowable. At the moment, business people will effectively get a season ticket and an entry to the draw for £320 or even £240. If the ticket is identified separately, I think the cost would go up by about £50 and £100 respectively. I may well be talking shite. If so, the 2 different prices could be the way forward.

8 minutes ago, Flash said:

I was thinking that too. But not sure how that would work for tax relief purposes. I think the full £400 would be tax deductible just now because it is sponsorship. Whereas if you have a different price for sponsorship with and without a ticket, the ticket part might not be allowable. At the moment, business people will effectively get a season ticket and an entry to the draw for £320 or even £240. If the ticket is identified separately, I think the cost would go up by about £50 and £100 respectively. I may well be talking shite. If so, the 2 different prices could be the way forward.

You may well be right, its not something I'd thought of.

6 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Do you mean..but also putting extra money into the club.

I doubt if having two price structures would be viable. I doubt if many businesses/individuals who enter the draw would necessarily choose to buy season tickets anyway so most would probably opt for the cheapest draw entry price. And can you imagine the conspiracy theories if the ones paying the higher price coincidentally won it most years. The free season ticket is just an extra incentive to enter the draw.

I also  doubt if stopping the free season tickets would really make the club much in extra ticket sales tbh. Much the same as the point I make above, there's no guarantee that the entrants would be buying a season ticket of their own accord, therefore no guarantee of extra ticket sales,  a few may do, I fear the vast majority would not. At least the free ones potentially add a few numbers to the crowd.

5 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Do you mean..but also putting extra money into the club.

Yes, is that not what I said? :unsure2:

5 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I doubt if having two price structures would be viable. I doubt if many businesses/individuals who enter the draw would necessarily choose to buy season tickets anyway so most would probably opt for the cheapest draw entry price. And can you imagine the conspiracy theories if the ones paying the higher price coincidentally won it most years. The free season ticket is just an extra incentive to enter the draw.

I also  doubt if stopping the free season tickets would really make the club much in extra ticket sales tbh. Much the same as the point I make above, there's no guarantee that the entrants would be buying a season ticket of their own accord, therefore no guarantee of extra ticket sales,  a few may do, I fear the vast majority would not. At least the free ones potentially add a few numbers to the crowd.

You're probably right about the conspiracy theorists but that isnt a good reason not to do something.

You're also probably right about people not taking up a season ticket but, as Flash suggested, the pricing of the shirt draw could be reduced but the club could still make more money from each entry. If that were the case, any season ticket sales would be additional money.

I guess the key questions is would that entice more business to enter that would make up for those who would choose not to enter if there was no season ticket?

The conspiracy theory was more a tongue in cheek remark but not necessarily unfounded.

Taking off at a slight tangent but is there a possibility that more businesses would be attracted if the draw was for a two season period. Obviously a realistic entry fee would need to be set, not necessarily twice the amount it is now. I've thought since the inception of the shirt draw that one every season is a bit much.

23 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

The conspiracy theory was more a tongue in cheek remark but not necessarily unfounded.

Taking off at a slight tangent but is there a possibility that more businesses would be attracted if the draw was for a two season period. Obviously a realistic entry fee would need to be set, not necessarily twice the amount it is now. I've thought since the inception of the shirt draw that one every season is a bit much.

Going by some quick, back of a fag type, calculations, an increase of £100 would mean the club would need an extra 100 entrants to generate the same income over the 2 years. That goes down to 50 for a £200 increase and 24 for £300.

More importantly, though, would they get a season ticket? :lol:

I don't know the ins and outs of the amount taken in in draw entries compared to what the club  actually pays the kit supplier.  or how many sets of strips, training tops, tracksuits  padded jackets, etc are included in the deal but it seems to me that there are a lot of backroom staff, administrative staff, youth players, etc going about wearing the club gear. I assume they don't have to buy it. Would reducing the number of items supplied not save a bit of money? The amount  saved may not be worth bothering about but it's just a thought.

11 hours ago, Flash said:

Out of interest, which signings are you referring to? 

I take what you're saying regarding the comments from a senior player about the next year's ambitions, the day before we faced Rangers in the play-offs.  I honestly don't remember who we brought in at that stage though.

An argument could be constructed to suggest that on the balance of probabilities, with Rangers, Hibs and Motherwell in the way over two legged ties, we'd be staying put, but I accept the general point you're making.

I still think a leap is required though, to use that to lend credence to this notion that we've no wish to be promoted.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

The guy could walk into any bottom half club in the top flight and probably a couple higher than that. 26 goals (sure that's his tally) for a side who have been average at best this season is an incredible return. Imagine if he was in a side like Hibs in this league?