The Queen of the South thread

12 hours ago, Flash said:

It can be as mindless as you like, but if it is widely held, it will affect attendances.

And it doesn't help when it is reinforced by things like a senior player saying in an interview immediately before the first leg of a play-off match that the aim for the following season would be to reach the play-offs again.  And, again, immediately before the play-offs, the club signing players who are clearly not Premiership standard. And giving 2 year contracts before the season starts, or part way through, to players who are barely Championship standard.

Even before Rangers and Hibs were in the play-offs, fewer than 2,000 fans showed up for the first leg of the quarter final v Falkirk. Indeed the home part of the crowd was about the same as it had been for the last league game v Livingston. This demonstrates to me that there was no belief amongst the public that we were making a genuine attempt to go up. And that would be reinforced by the way the second leg panned out.

There may well be a long term plan to gain promotion, but nobody seriously believes that it will happen in the short term. In the meantime, the non-diehards are not going to show up for run of the mill league games against Dumbarton or whoever. They will appear when promotion looks like a realistic possibility. This might seem "mindless" to us but, to them, there is little evidence to counter the argument.  Signing Dobbie might have been an attempt to redress the balance a little bit. And it may have worked for a short time. But as soon as it became obvious that the defence and goalkeeper were no better than League 1 standard, coupled with watching Millar and Pickard plodding about in midfield followed by the Skelton debacle, the air of perpetual diddyness descended once again.

Yes I remember those comments that even the interviewer highlighted.  It certainly revealed a lack of belief and ambition on the part of the player himself, but I don't really think that's what the people behind the "don't want promotion" theory are picking up on.

They're responding to the fact that we've seldom threatened promotion and as a result, concocting a silly conspiracy narrative.

We sign the players we do and finish where we do because of what we can afford to spend.  That's not to say we couldn't do better with our budget, but it is to say that it provides no evidence of an actual desire to never go up.

God knows, I'm happy enough to criticise the board when I think it's merited.  However,  I'm not going to have a go because we spend what we can afford.  If that doesn't inspire dafties with a ludicrous notion of 'ambition' to come along, I'll live with it.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

498a2420fc0fa4206b17648099044220.jpg

Quite like the home one again. Not as good as last years though and I'd have preferred white shorts.

Not sure what to make of the away shirt. Looks very Golf like to me. Once the sponsor is on I'll probably be more decisive on my love or hate of it.

If the home strip had white shorts it would be absolutely perfect.

The away kit is rotten but as I say every year, it serves it's purpose as being a "changed strip". I've nothing to back this up but I'd bet the away kits that are a bit different sell better than a bland plain white/red/yellow effort. It does look better suited to the golf course or tennis court.

2 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I like them both. I'm clearly in a minority on the away one though.

I quite like the away one too, although Im not sure about the yellow, looks a bit bright although that might be the sun

2 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

If the home strip had white shorts it would be absolutely perfect.

The away kit is rotten but as I say every year, it serves it's purpose as being a "changed strip". I've nothing to back this up but I'd bet the away kits that are a bit different sell better than a bland plain white/red/yellow effort. It does look better suited to the golf course or tennis court.

I dont think the home strip would look right with the white at the bottom of the top and white shorts

The home kit is an absolute belter. Cracking collar, nice shade of blue, classy trim.

The away one is a disaster though. Committing two of the 'cardinal sins' of football shirt culture - in my opinion. Luminous is almost always bad, very 2007 third rate European team third kit. This is no exception. Secondly it's grey. The ultimate sin. It looks like something my Dad would wear if he was on holiday, and that's not at all good.

Then there's the socks. Good grief no.

10/10 for whoever picked the home kit, P45/10 for whoever picked the away kit.

Would that away top be fine against the likes of Falkirk and Raith, it does seem like it's not necessarily that different from their home shirts.

I don't have a problem with a loud away kit, IMO the more garish the better for maintaining cult value, (See Scotland away tops) but the grey with Neon is  so Yer Da at the gym. You have to properly commit to making something that looks truly out there.

Home kit is lovely and the shirt will be getting purchased. The away strip strikes of the designer was an hour from knocking off for the weekend and just jumbled something together. The shirt I do like the spaced lines but the luminous is a bit vomit in the mouth. Will give it a miss

9 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

Would that away top be fine against the likes of Falkirk and Raith, it does seem like it's not necessarily that different from their home shirts.

Yes, I see what you mean.  

When we had a nice all black kit a couple of seasons back, we needed a third all white one for that reason, I think.

The dark grey kit will probably clash with dark blue as much as the home kit.

There's a good chance both those sides wont be in our league next season. So hopefully it's not an issue :D

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

There's a good chance both those sides wont be in our league next season. So hopefully it's not an issue :D

Falkirk could be replaced by Dundee or at a push Ross County though.

Back to square one.

(Beaten to it.)

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Don't the strip designs need to be run past the SPFL or is that just the sponsor's logo? I'm sure SD has covered this previously.

I doubt we're releasing a third strip as the year we did it was unveiled at the same time as the other two.

19 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, I see what you mean.  

When we had a nice all black kit a couple of seasons back, we needed a third all white one for that reason, I think.

The dark grey kit will probably clash with dark blue as much as the home kit.

There will be a similar contingency this year. We are conscious there could be a potential issue with both kits being too dark for some oppositions although it isnt really all that dark. Depends on referees opinions obviously.

As for the away kit, each to their own obviously, but for me its our best away kit yet. I think its great.

The home kit is good. I like an all blue effort now and again. Mind you, a poor clip art type sponsors logo can ruin even the best looking kit. 

I don't mind us moving away from the usual away colours now and again,  but I am not a fan of this one on first viewing. You never know, it may look better once it is all badged and sponsored up.

The home kit looks fine, just the right amount of white.  The away kit looks like something you would purchase from Matalan. (That's a criticism of the shirt, not Matalan. Other clothes outlets are available).  I'm not a great fan of grey football tops anyway. The grey shorts also look like something an old geezer would wear on the beach on holiday. I'm sure I've got a similar pair in my wardrobe.  I'm not in the habit of buying replica strips and the away one isn't tempting me to change. Hopefully I am in the minority and the Club makes plenty from purchases.