The Queen of the South thread

Bit harsh to want rid already. He at least deserves the opportunity to shape his own squad before judgement can be made. Getting Stirling in seems a good start. His January signings weren't bad either.

Possibly right mate, hey I can only go what I read on here or in the pub as I haven't seen a game since October for personal reasons !!! Must admit weighing up opinions I would say 70% are pretty negative towards the new manager. Just a shame Hartley wasn't available earlier in the season.

Leadership and commitment to the cause comes from the top. The relationship between the Chairman/Chief Executive and the manager is absolutely crucial for a club going forward and on the up. I might be wide of the mark, but I don't see that sort of rapport or relationship at Queens. It's quite enlightening that the Board couldn't even organise one of them to be at the last home game. They may in their own right be successful local businessmen, but the Board members seem rather conservative and uninspiring when it comes to real progress on the field, though to be fair, there have been improvements to infrastructure and the accounts.

We very rarely hear anything from the BoD except an occasional update from Mark Blount on the website and a weekly update that tells us very little and is usually the same information. At the AGM, when a Supporters' group asks for consideration to be given to have an elected fan representative on the Board, the BoD wheel out one of the old guard (Norman Blount) to tell the fans to basically 'mind their own business' and to 'know their place.'  The communication between the fans and the current custodians of QoS remains poor and even the fans liaison person was someone chosen and known to the Board.

I can understand the fans frustrations at yet another season of mediocre football which promised more than it delivered and the club had a calamitous spell on the pitch after the new manager walked and was eventually replaced. Hope springs eternal, but with Queen of the South, the club seems stuck in a spiral of mediocrity with little medium or long term improvement or planning.

16 hours ago, KingfaetheSooth said:

It's quite enlightening that the Board couldn't even organise one of them to be at the last home game.

Seriously?

I think our directors in total will have missed about half a dozen games between them all season. I doubt there will be many directors attend quite as many games home and away as ours do. It was coincidental but none of them were even in this country on Saturday. Are you seriously suggesting they should cancel foreign trips to ensure at least one of them is present? What difference would that make?

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Seriously?

I think our directors in total will have missed about half a dozen games between them all season. I doubt there will be many directors attend quite as many games home and away as ours do. It was coincidental but none of them were even in this country on Saturday. Are you seriously suggesting they should cancel foreign trips to ensure at least one of them is present? What difference would that make?

It's all about the impression it makes. They can do what they like but fans will question why none of them were present and if they can't be bothered showing up then why should we.

I couldn't care less how many, if any, Directors attend a match or how it looks.  Some fans are so fickle and seem to revel in opportunities to feel wronged or take offence it's pathetic.

It's much more disappointing when the players don't turn up and some might say that has happened several times this season !

Strangely enough, I thought the Directors Box looked more populated than normal on Saturday.   Were these cardboard cut-outs or dopplegangers ?

I was wondering how Naysmith would react if the players came out after the match and criticised the Management the way he criticises them. He picks an easy target he knows can't/won't answer back. His criticism is hardly constructive either, it's just a rant and threats about player's futures and he almost completely absolves himself of any blame. 

7 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

I couldn't care less how many, if any, Directors attend a match or how it looks.  Some fans are so fickle and seem to revel in opportunities to feel wronged or take offence it's pathetic.

It's much more disappointing when the players don't turn up and some might say that has happened several times this season !

Strangely enough, I thought the Directors Box looked more populated than normal on Saturday.   Were these cardboard cut-outs or dopplegangers ?

Who's feeling wronged or taking offence? I would be quite happy if they never came back again.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Seriously?

Yes. We are at the business end of the season when decisions will be taken on players futures and I would expect at least one of them to be present to witness the game. Not too difficult to arrange holidays and business trips to ensure that surely. Difficult to appraise the managers feedback unless you see the actual match, gauge the reaction of the fans and sponsors etc. 

Better still, they could go onto the main terrace and East stand and actually talk to fans who spend time and money watching the team week in week out, home and away. 

I was wondering how Naysmith would react if the players came out after the match and criticised the Management the way he criticises them. He picks an easy target he knows can't/won't answer back. His criticism is hardly constructive either, it's just a rant and threats about player's futures and he almost completely absolves himself of any blame. 

He will have known for a while who is going ,and who is staying.Its about kidding them along till gtf day.
There is no way he would come away with that stuff with 10 ~12 games left .I agree with a lot of what he has said.
What worries me, is some of the players with another season to go .

3 hours ago, KingfaetheSooth said:

Yes. We are at the business end of the season when decisions will be taken on players futures and I would expect at least one of them to be present to witness the game. Not too difficult to arrange holidays and business trips to ensure that surely. Difficult to appraise the managers feedback unless you see the actual match, gauge the reaction of the fans and sponsors etc. 

Better still, they could go onto the main terrace and East stand and actually talk to fans who spend time and money watching the team week in week out, home and away. 

We still have two games to go. Whether any directors will be there I've no idea. I don't think their presence, or lack of it, will influence the outcome of the games. Unfortunate that they are all away at the same time but hardly a major concern in my opinion and when is actually the best time for them to be away. As long as they are around during the close season when there is actually some serious business to do and decisions to be made. I'm pretty sure the Chairman at least will be keeping in touch with events at the Club. I would imagine that several decisions about player's futures will already have been made at not left until now. 

Guest Flash
19 minutes ago, weeredbook said:

He will have known for a while who is going ,and who is staying.Its about kidding them along till gtf day.
There is no way he would come away with that stuff with 10 ~12 games left .I agree with a lot of what he has said.
What worries me, is some of the players with another season to go .

You can't really kid them along when certain players have aleady been offered contracts for next season. A player will pretty much know that if they haven't been offered anything, while others have, they are gone. I suppose he could say he will speak to them in the summer once he has assessed what he needs. But I think the ones leaving will either know about it by now or will have guessed. 

Agree with your point about next season. It is possible that he has told one, or more, of them that they might be better trying to find other clubs because they will be bench warmers next season. At least, that is what I'm hoping.

I don't really think performances have been affected all that much by whether or not players are leaving or whatever. We have been pretty shit all season, with decent performances being the exception rather than the rule, especially in defence.

Edited by Flash

22 hours ago, The Caul Back said:

There is still a large amount of Doonhamers that think that Queens are happy in this league and don't seek promotion, I don't know how many times I have heard this, and that all they want is to stay in the championship and have good cup runs.

Yes, but it's a mindless view that deserves to be dismissed.

Guest Flash
11 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It can be as mindless as you like, but if it is widely held, it will affect attendances.

And it doesn't help when it is reinforced by things like a senior player saying in an interview immediately before the first leg of a play-off match that the aim for the following season would be to reach the play-offs again.  And, again, immediately before the play-offs, the club signing players who are clearly not Premiership standard. And giving 2 year contracts before the season starts, or part way through, to players who are barely Championship standard.

Even before Rangers and Hibs were in the play-offs, fewer than 2,000 fans showed up for the first leg of the quarter final v Falkirk. Indeed the home part of the crowd was about the same as it had been for the last league game v Livingston. This demonstrates to me that there was no belief amongst the public that we were making a genuine attempt to go up. And that would be reinforced by the way the second leg panned out.

There may well be a long term plan to gain promotion, but nobody seriously believes that it will happen in the short term. In the meantime, the non-diehards are not going to show up for run of the mill league games against Dumbarton or whoever. They will appear when promotion looks like a realistic possibility. This might seem "mindless" to us but, to them, there is little evidence to counter the argument.  Signing Dobbie might have been an attempt to redress the balance a little bit. And it may have worked for a short time. But as soon as it became obvious that the defence and goalkeeper were no better than League 1 standard, coupled with watching Millar and Pickard plodding about in midfield followed by the Skelton debacle, the air of perpetual diddyness descended once again.

10 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Not a view I would say I entirely agree with but I can see why some have their doubts. Dobbie aside we seem to target journeymen players for signing and rely on better quality loanees to boost the quality. Also our recent managerial appointments probably didn't give the impression of a Club with great ambition. The introduction of the play -offs obviously increase your chances of promotion but the main stumbling block to seriously pushing for promotion comes down to finance and how.much people are prepared to invest in the Club. At the moment we are probably sitting in a league position equal to our playing budget compared to other teams, it would need greater financial backing from Directors and other outside backers to improve on this. Going up from the Championship has been difficult over the past 3 or 4 seasons given the budgets we have been competing against, maybe in the next few seasons it will be more of a level playing field and we can at least try and better our recent target of 4th place.

I never thought I would see Queens play in a Scottish Cup Final at Hampden or play in European competition, It would be great to see them play in the top division even for a season.

No Cummings in Hibs shadow squad tonight, bodes well for Dobbie as he is top goalscorer level with two games to go 33/1 @ start of the season!

Wish I'd have been able to get some of that. Easy money!