The Queen of the South thread

Was Aidan Smith able to be recalled in January ?  If so, then I don't get why he wasn't.  Does the current manager know anything about him or is he not interested ?

Of course, I'm not saying he is a world-beater but he certainly merits a place on the bench - and pitch -  ahead of Dykes and from what I have seen so far of the boy Murray.

Has experience of Championship and big game atmospheres.

Defenders hate nothing more than the lightning pace he has, especially in the latter stages of games, as he demonstrated against Rangers at least twice to great effect.

I hope he is given a fair chance to contribute next season as back-up to Dobbie and Lyle.

3 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Was Aidan Smith able to be recalled in January ?  If so, then I don't get why he wasn't.  Does the current manager know anything about him or is he not interested ?

Of course, I'm not saying he is a world-beater but he certainly merits a place on the bench - and pitch -  ahead of Dykes and from what I have seen so far of the boy Murray.

Has experience of Championship and big game atmospheres.

Defenders hate nothing more than the lightning pace he has, especially in the latter stages of games, as he demonstrated against Rangers at least twice to great effect.

I hope he is given a fair chance to contribute next season as back-up to Dobbie and Lyle.

He still trains with Queens during the week am sure Naysmith knows all he needs to know about him.

1 hour ago, queenslad said:

Smith has scored a few goals lately but in January wasn't even making the Annan first 11 do not really worth a recall at that time

They were two separate loans with a six day break between them anyway. There was no question of a recall because the first loan ended on New Years Day.

Aidan Smith Rejoins Annan

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 hour ago, queenslad said:

Smith has scored a few goals lately but in January wasn't even making the Annan first 11 do not really worth a recall at that time

Absolutely, and I was one person writing him off in January and with 3 goals in his last 4 games (or 7 in his last 5 if you are feeling generous and include the Mids semi-final) I am pleased he is now proving me wrong.

At least we are safe from the drop but this season has been a bit crap really after our great start. I can't say I'm looking forward to next season either given the managers tactics and squad selection but will give him chance.

Big rebuilding job required as has been said in the match threads because with what we got at the moment we might be scrapping at the bottom next season.

Small part of me feels we're not good enough for this league at the moment and a drop down may have benefited us, allowing us to regroup. The only thing that has stopped us going down was Dobbie. Crowds have collapsed and can't see things getting better next year in this div, not sure how viable fulltime are on crowds of approx 1000.

3 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Just what you'd expect for a meaningless end of season game to be honest lots of other things on as well even the club Directors stayed away!!

They didn't "stay away". They coincidentally all had other pre-arranged events on the same weekend.

But yes, the crowd was disappointing but not exceptionally surprising for a meaningless game with a fairly low travelling support on a nice weather day when people probably found other things to do. I imagine it will be a little better for the final game against Dunfermline and that, meaningless or not, they will probably bring a bigger away support.

Said 1200 on my way to the game. It was a nice day yesterday so I imagine a lot of folk chose to take advantage of the weather rather than spend £16 to watch another gutless performance. We've been shocking at times when we've had something to play for never mind when it's a meaningless game. I expect the same if not less against Dunfermline in the last game.

54 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

But yes, the crowd was disappointing but not exceptionally surprising for a meaningless game with a fairly low travelling support on a nice weather day when people probably found other things to do.

That's my argument against summer football. I and many others have other things to do during the summer when the weather tends to better - bowling clubs opening, golf, weddings, gala days, music festivals, summer holidays etc

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

They didn't "stay away". They coincidentally all had other pre-arranged events on the same weekend.

I wish they could have pre-arranged events every weekend and we could bring in fresh faces.