The Queen of the South thread

Updated for the latest game at Ayr.

1 - Jim Patterson, 251 goals in 462 appearances, 1949 - 1963
2 - Bobby Black, 120 goals in 346 appearances, 1952 - 1961
3 - Andy Thomson, 114 goal in 196 starts (35 sub) appearances, 1989 - 1994 & 2006 - 2007
4 - Derek Lyle, 109 goals in 254 starts (75 sub) appearancs, 2002 - 2004, 2004 - 2006 & 2012 - Current
5 - Jocky Dempster, 98 goals in 342 starts (13 sub) appearances, 1970 - 1979
6 - Tommy Bryce, 95 goals in 283 starts (14 sub) appearances, 1985 - 1987, 1994 - 1998 & 1999
7 - Stevie Mallan, 94 goals in 233 starts (32 sub) appearances, 1993 - 2000
8 - Tommy McCall, 93 goals in 264 appearances, 1925 - 1934
9 - Ian Reid, 89 goals in 192 starts (5 sub) appearances, 1973 - 1978
10 - Jimmy Robertson, 89 goals in 378 starts (22 sub) appearances, 1979 - 1987 & 1989 - 1993
11 - Jackie Oakes, 81 goals in 457 appearances, 1936 - 1947 & 1951 - 1960
12 - Iain McChesney, 79 goals in 587 starts (28 sub) appearances, 1961 - 1982
13 - Stephen Dobbie, 78 goals in 125 starts (17 sub) appearances, 2007 - 2009, 2016 - Current
14 - Rowan Alexander, 78 goals in 165 starts (18 sub) appearances, 1978 - 1983 & 1995 - 1998
15 - Billy Houliston, 74 goals in 155 apearances, 1945 - 1952
16 - Jackie Law, 71 goals in 226 appearances, 1936 - 1948
17 - John O'Neill, 70 goals in 143 starts (52 sub) appearances, 2001 - 2003 & 2005 - 2008
18 - Lex Law, 68 goals in 316 starts (18 sub) appearances, 1964 - 1975
19 - Jimmy Rutherford, 66 goals in 65 appearances, 1930 - 1934
20 - Willie Dougan, 65 goals in 88 appearances, 1922 - 1925

2 hours ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

That's 5 points we've made up on Dundee Utd over the last 2 games.
We now only sit 6 points adrift with only 4 games left all though Utd have a game in hand this week against Dunfermline who are on a good run of form.
Dare we Queens fans even contemplate finishing 4th this season and finishing yet again in the playoffs? emoji170.png

This crossed my mind too, but looking at it, we've got too much to do.

To have any real chance of making up that gap in so few games, I think we'd realistically have to win all of ours and they include a trip to Easter Road.

It's frustrating though.  If our horrendous spell had been just a little bit less dreadful, or if we'd seen it out when cruising at 3-1 at Tannadice, we'd be close enough to have something to still aim at.  

I'll settle for safety though because a couple of weeks ago, even that was far from assured.

To have any real chance of making up that gap in so few games, I think we'd realistically have to win all of ours and they include a trip to Easter Road.

It's frustrating though.  If our horrendous spell had been just a little bit less dreadful, or if we'd seen it out when cruising at 3-1 at Tannadice, we'd be close enough to have something to still aim at.  

I'll settle for safety though because a couple of weeks ago, even that was far from assured.

Yeah the quarter where we couldnt buy a goal or a win has fucked us. If we could just have picked up even 2 wins we would be right up there in the play off mix. Shit happens unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Uniteds run in does look easier, on paper. However, they have two away games left and their away record is awful. If we can match their results in the other games it could be very interesting.

Of course, none of this will be possible unless Dunfermline win at Tannadice on Tuesday, a result that would put them ahead of us in 5th.

There's no reason why Dobbs can't break the 100 goals tally if he has another season like this.

I'm slightly frustrated at the missed opportunity this season tbh. He was utterly wasted out wide. Naysmith has to start him up front next season or I'll lose patience with him extremely quickly.

I'd love to see him break the 100 mark (we all would) and I think that would be more than enough justification to get him rightly placed in our Hall of Fame.

56 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Of course, none of this will be possible unless Dunfermline win at Tannadice on Tuesday, a result that would put them ahead of us in 5th.

Yes, that's true.

The only way we can really entertain any aspirations to catch Dundee United is if we're prepared to share them.

I don't honestly think it's on for either us or Dunfermline though.

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, that's true.

The only way we can really entertain any aspirations to catch Dundee United is if we're prepared to share them.

I don't honestly think it's on for either us or Dunfermline though.

Agree with all of this. If we'd chucked away four of five points less somewhere we'd be right in the mix (Ayr United away first time and St Mirren at home both times stand out as nine points chucked away, also Raith away first time as well as frustration at the Dundee United 3-3 draw though less bothered about that one as they did deserve it).

At the moment I'm more directly focusedon remaining ahead of Dunfermline than on catching United, but with a head to head to come at Palmerston on the final day, that remains in our own hands even if they do beat United (though not if we don't win at Easter Road which seems unlikely). Tuesday is one of those games with no bad result for us really, or no good result depending on your point of view. If United win we can utterly forget 4th but it's good for our chances of at least 5th. If Dunfermline win it means that 4th place can't be completely ruled out yet. I think I probably prefer a draw!

However, with United having games against Ayr, St Mirren and Dumbarton to follow Dunfermline, three of those four at home where they have only lost once all season I think, it's hard to see them not getting out of our reach come what may.

41 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

There's no reason why Dobbs can't break the 100 goals tally if he has another season like this.

I'm slightly frustrated at the missed opportunity this season tbh. He was utterly wasted out wide. Naysmith has to start him up front next season or I'll lose patience with him extremely quickly.

I'd love to see him break the 100 mark (we all would) and I think that would be more than enough justification to get him rightly placed in our Hall of Fame.

Agree. I hope Derek Lyle is part of our, plans next season too. The Del / Dobbs combo is our best option imo. Dobbie is worth the admission money on his own. We are so fortunate that he is happy to play for us. Well done chairman and BoD. He would walk into any team in this division. 

I think it's safe to assume he's already earned his place. I won't see another Stephen Dobbie at queens in my lifetime, the man's on a different planet to anyone else I've ever seen at the club.

On 08/04/2017 at 15:51, SUPERSOUTH said:

They obviously had to open it for the massive Ayr fans in attendance! What a joke of a club relegation is where they belong.

We have opened up the Railway End to home fans before, to primarily try and generate a bit of atmosphere and give the team a lift. It worked against Dumbarton, but as you saw yesterday just about everyone at the club has chucked it and everyone was just waiting for Dobbie to score.

Had Queens brought significant numbers up the road then they would have opened it for you as they did with Falkirk.  

Plenty of clubs only give away fans a section of a stand, I would prefer to stand on the Terregles Street terrace at Palmerston for example but we don't bring enough of a support for that.

Anyhow, won't imagine it will be a problem next season unless we draw you in the cups!:thumsup2

17 minutes ago, paulbrucerick said:

We have opened up the Railway End to home fans before, to primarily try and generate a bit of atmosphere and give the team a lift. It worked against Dumbarton, but as you saw yesterday just about everyone at the club has chucked it and everyone was just waiting for Dobbie to score.

Had Queens brought significant numbers up the road then they would have opened it for you as they did with Falkirk.  

Plenty of clubs only give away fans a section of a stand, I would prefer to stand on the Terregles Street terrace at Palmerston for example but we don't bring enough of a support for that.

Anyhow, won't imagine it will be a problem next season unless we draw you in the cups!:thumsup2

Generally clubs dont open sections of ground because it isnt worth the extra cost to steward it.

To shove all the Queens fans in the stand and enclosure and then open the Railway end just so the Ayr fans could stand there for 45 minutes was ridiculous

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Generally clubs dont open sections of ground because it isnt worth the extra cost to steward it.

To shove all the Queens fans in the stand and enclosure and then open the Railway end just so the Ayr fans could stand there for 45 minutes was ridiculous

As I said it was done to hopefully give us an advantage, we clearly need any help we can get. 

Bring more supporters and you will get the Railway End. At the end of the day the away section is where the host club tell you where to go.

1 minute ago, paulbrucerick said:

As I said it was done to hopefully give us an advantage, we clearly need any help we can get. 

Bring more supporters and you will get the Railway End. At the end of the day the away section is where the host club tell you where to go.

:lol:

With Naismith already been here for 4 months.Whats everyone's thoughts on him so far?

Definitely not a fan yet. Tipping towards the dislike but will give him a preseason before I've fully decided.

With Naismith already been here for 4 months.Whats everyone's thoughts on him so far?

He's struggled to replicate his Everton form at Norwich but I'd certainly have him in the squad.

He's good in the air for someone who's not especially tall.