The Queen of the South thread

36 minutes ago, happysouth said:

I've probably done this wrong but...

86160675c3fa83d4a8306827e6522511.jpg

Other than the error Flash already pointed out, the only other point I'd make is you are only taking into account starting appearances and ignoring subs but not ignoring (obviously) the number of goals scored by players when coming on as a sub. That means the comparability isn't perfect.

For example off the top of my head, Dobbie famously scored a hat trick at Cappielow after coming on as a sub and he also scored as a sub this season after coming on at Easter Road. So there's at least 4 of his 76 goals not scored within those 124 starts. Take them out and his ratio drops to 0.58. Andy Thomson definitely got at least two of his goals in his second spell as a sub. I'd imagine he scored many others also. I don't have any stats on how many of the player's goals were scored after coming on as a sub though so couldn't strip them out properly. Of course you could add the sub appearances on to get a goals per appearances total but it would handicap those in the modern era with a lot of sub appearances, some of which may only be a few single figure minutes in length.

Guest Flash
16 minutes ago, happysouth said:

Ah well I didn't think It would be right. I thought your stats were including sub appearances. Might do it again later.

If you can be bothered doing it again, it might be an idea to use 0.25 of a game as an average for a sub appearance.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

If you can be bothered doing it again, it might be an idea to use 0.25 of a game as an average for a sub appearance.

Seems as reasonable an approximation as any, though it still won't take into account the number of times in the modern era that a player has been subbed off after starting, something I'd guess has happened to Derek Lyle more than anyone else on that list.

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

What happened to Jimmy Rutherford? Never heard of him before, Googled him but couldn't find a trace of him after he left you guys even on his wiki.

He came from and went back to Dalbeattie Star I think. I think he went back and forward between the two clubs a couple of times. It was back in the days when players sometimes guested for other clubs. 

I don't even support qos and I'm loving the attention you guys have put to the goalscoring stats here. Can a falkirk fan do the same please?

I think the reason we are interested is that we have 2 players who are still active being in contention in our top scorers of all time.

Either in Lyle's case of overall goals or dobbie for most prolific. For a team which is coming up on 100 years old that's pretty special and is a testament to both players.

I think the reason we are interested is that we have 2 players who are still active being in contention in our top scorers of all time.

Either in Lyle's case of overall goals or dobbie for most prolific. For a team which is coming up on 100 years old that's pretty special and is a testament to both players.

I've probably worded that wrong but I hope you get my point.

1 minute ago, happysouth said:

I've probably worded that wrong but I hope you get my point.

Yes, I suppose it is unusual in these days of short term contracts, that we currently have two of our big scorers still actively adding to their tallies.

Five spells between them have obviously helped with that, but still remarkable.

According to his after-match comments in today's D&G Standard our Manager said they decided to be more attack minded than defensive on Saturday as it gave them a better chance of getting a result. Whoda thunk it? He's finally realised that increasing your chances of scoring goals by playing your top two scorers together and two attacking wide men actually gives you a better chance of winning games. Pity he didn't have this "brainwave" about four games ago.

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

According to his after-match comments in today's D&G Standard our Manager said they decided to be more attack minded than defensive on Saturday as it gave them a better chance of getting a result. Whoda thunk it? He's finally realised that increasing your chances of scoring goals by playing your top two scorers together and two attacking wide men actually gives you a better chance of winning games. Pity he didn't have this "brainwave" about four games ago.

We played two up front against Falkirk and it was as one-sided a game as you'll see.

The Dundee United result owed as much to how inept their defence was than anything else.

8 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

We played two up front against Falkirk and it was as one-sided a game as you'll see.

The Dundee United result owed as much to how inept their defence was than anything else.

Exactly, our second goal came from us defending very patiently against a prolonged period of possession. (The people around me were screaming  to get stuck in), United tried to spread the play and we were able to pounce when they made a mistake and countered effectively. That goal could have happened if we were shitfesting.

Beating United isn't a suprising result in the context of their season, since Naysmith has came in we have matched up very to them if we can build on that result and be able to break down better defensive teams then that's more of a reflection of an attacking team.

Edited by Sloop John B

23 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

It was the Manager's remarks that he decided to go more attack minded V Dundee United which suggests that prior to that he had favoured a more defensive mindset. Playing two up front doesn't always guarantee an attacking game if they don't get decent service or you're sitting deeper and relying on counter attacks which doesn't always materialise.

Yes, United's defence was poor and we took advantage, the problem is that other defences may be just as fragile but we haven't been testing them enough. 

Just spoken to Ops Manager Tracy at Somerset, always very informative.

Initially, the end terracing WILL NOT be open so it is the stand and enclosure.

However, if numbers increase then they will open it and we can transfer there.

FOR IT TO OPEN I WOULD SUGGEST GET IN THE GROUND AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE AND MAKE IT LOOK BUSY !

Updated for last weekend's game. Both Dobbie and Lyle added another one to their tallies.
1 - Jim Patterson, 251 goals in 462 appearances, 1949 - 1963
2 - Bobby Black, 120 goals in 346 appearances, 1952 - 1961
3 - Andy Thomson, 114 goal in 196 starts (35 sub) appearances, 1989 - 1994 & 2006 - 2007
4 - Derek Lyle, 109 goals in 254 starts (75 sub) appearancs, 2002 - 2004, 2004 - 2006 & 2012 - Current
5 - Jocky Dempster, 98 goals in 342 starts (13 sub) appearances, 1970 - 1979
6 - Tommy Bryce, 95 goals in 283 starts (14 sub) appearances, 1985 - 1987, 1994 - 1998 & 1999
7 - Stevie Mallan, 94 goals in 233 starts (32 sub) appearances, 1993 - 2000
8 - Tommy McCall, 93 goals in 264 appearances, 1925 - 1934
9 - Ian Reid, 89 goals in 192 starts (5 sub) appearances, 1973 - 1978
10 - Jimmy Robertson, 89 goals in 378 starts (22 sub) appearances, 1979 - 1987 & 1989 - 1993
11 - Jackie Oakes, 81 goals in 457 appearances, 1936 - 1947 & 1951 - 1960
12 - Iain McChesney, 79 goals in 587 starts (28 sub) appearances, 1961 - 1982
13 - Rowan Alexander, 78 goals in 165 starts (18 sub) appearances, 1978 - 1983 & 1995 - 1998
14 - Stephen Dobbie, 76 goals in 124 starts (17 sub) appearances, 2007 - 2009, 2016 - Current
15 - Billy Houliston, 74 goals in 155 apearances, 1945 - 1952
16 - Jackie Law, 71 goals in 226 appearances, 1936 - 1948
17 - John O'Neill, 70 goals in 143 starts (52 sub) appearances, 2001 - 2003 & 2005 - 2008
18 - Lex Law, 68 goals in 316 starts (18 sub) appearances, 1964 - 1975
19 - Jimmy Rutherford, 66 goals in 65 appearances, 1930 - 1934
20 - Willie Dougan, 65 goals in 88 appearances, 1922 - 1925

Stephen Dobbie now equal with Rowan Alexander on 78 goals for Queens after his double against Ayr this afternoon ......

That's 5 points we've made up on Dundee Utd over the last 2 games.
We now only sit 6 points adrift with only 4 games left all though Utd have a game in hand this week against Dunfermline who are on a good run of form.
Dare we Queens fans even contemplate finishing 4th this season and finishing yet again in the playoffs? [emoji170]