The Queen of the South thread

Guest Flash
1 minute ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I see John Rankin has taken up post as youth coach with Hearts - he says that he will still be able to play for us!!!

Perhaps an opportunity for us to cut our losses on that contract?

Maybe a sign that we are going part-time. If we ever were genuinely full-time.

Guest Flash
4 minutes ago, Hawk said:

Really.

Really what?

I said "maybe". And I don't know whether some players already have other jobs. If you know for a fact that they don't, or that Rankin will be the only one who does, then fair enough.

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

Really what?

I said "maybe". And I don't know whether some players already have other jobs. If you know for a fact that they don't, or that Rankin will be the only one who does, then fair enough.

No I don't know if any players have jobs, the article says he would like to get into coaching and at his age I would have thought it was natural progression. As for going part-time I'd be very surprised.

Without knowing any actual figures I would doubt if the "full time" wages paid to most players with clubs such as Queens, Raith Rovers, Livingston, Airdrie and the like are sufficient as the only income that the players have so it is possible that, given the amount of time they have free, some do have other outside income sources. Chris Higgins as one example runs a gym I believe. A few will obviously be undertaking work in preparation for their playing days ending. 

1 hour ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Living and rather I think have bigger budgets and crowd figures than ourselves not sure on airdrie

"Living and rather" and indeed Airdrie don't have bigger crowd figures. Well Raith probably do at the moment but that owes a lot to the presence in the same division of Dunfermline plus significantly bigger visiting crowds from Dundee United and Hibs than we get geographically. When those three are not in the same division we're pretty equivalent. Our crowd figures are significantly better than Airdrie and Livingston.

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Without knowing any actual figures I would doubt if the "full time" wages paid to most players with clubs such as Queens, Raith Rovers, Livingston, Airdrie and the like are sufficient as the only income that the players have so it is possible that, given the amount of time they have free, some do have other outside income sources. Chris Higgins as one example runs a gym I believe. A few will obviously be undertaking work in preparation for their playing days ending. 

Chris Higgins is a qualified fitness instructor who has his own gym some people use. I'm not sure how much of a "business" it is. However he does run a company providing nutrional meals to sports people and people trying to improve their diets in his spare time. Derek Lyle's family have a pub and a taxi business. Scott Mercer was working as a fitness instructor before he joined us and I think still does an occasional shift when it doesn't interfere with his football. Kyle Jacobs is helping to run a football coaching academy in Livingston for kids (think that might be voluntary rather than money making). I don't think most of them have another job though.

Didn't know about Rankin but it appears to be a month's commitment at the moment given it's through the end of the season and as it's working with u17's who will still be at school mostly, I presume it's a couple of late afternoons / evenings a week, and maybe the odd Sunday. I don't see any problem with that. I would presume he'll have cleared it with Gary Naysmith before accepting the role.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

14 hours ago, weeredbook said:

Rankin and Dobbie should be the new co managers when Naysmith is bulleted .

Co-managers? Nooooooo! Have you forgotten the Rowe/Eadie partnership? One manager with an able assistant is the best format IMO. Dobbie's family still based in Fleetwood (?) would be another drawback also. Anyway, we've still got a Manager in position and I'm not sure he will be going anywhere soon.