The Queen of the South thread

Just now, Wullie McNaught said:

But we're not saying we're safe...

Fair comment I`m not saying we are but it would probably take some odd results to put us down. Big result for us today not  so much for the point we got but the 2 points you didn`t get. FWIW I think Raith will be fine too.

Fair comment I`m not saying we are but it would probably take some odd results to put us down. Big result for us today not  so much for the point we got but the 2 points you didn`t get. FWIW I think Raith will be fine too.

I agree. On recent results, I'd probably predict Dumbarton bottom and St Mirren in 9th. Ayr seem to have finally discovered how to play football..

I cannot believe the rationale behind giving GN a contract until the end of 2018/19 season. On what basis did we think that we had unearthed a gem of a manager - surely not just on the back of a very favourable interview?

The squad despite needing some new faces has plenty of decent players in it and to serve up this type of ugly football week after week is totally unacceptable.

7 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Despite the number of sides still beneath us, I don't think anything that freaky would be needed for us to wind up ninth.

It just needs those sides to win a couple of their remaining games, while we fail to.  Raith passed up an opportunity to get one yesterday, but other sides might be less accommodating when they face us.

As SD says, there is nothing fanciful about a scenario a game or two from now, whereby we're up to our necks.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We arent safe yet though its unlikely everyone will come past us. One more win would probably do. However if we were to lose our next two against United and Ayr we would be in big trouble with Hibs away to follow.

Unfortunately the way the team is playing just now I canny see them winning another game this season, with Dundee Utd, Ayr + Hibs up next we could be right in the mire. The team is void of creativity or ideas, The manager can't find his best formation its going be a tough 6 weeks till the end of the season.

What has happened to the footballing team the supporters really enjoyed watching at the start of the season? Please get the ball on the deck and get back to playing football.

So totally agree we are involved in the relegation battle and have been playing worse week on week. However the utter garbage being spouted at robinson yesterday in the first half after 1 poor kick was ridiculous. 100% of our team are consistently kicking poorly. If 1 poor kick leads to "we were here before you and will be here long after" and "we pay your wages" i would be right there with him giving you the finger and telling to shut the front door (his accent; i assume he said that)

Looking at the table one more win would take us on to 39 points and it would be hard to imagine 39 points resulting in anything other than safety from 9th place.

That said when you look at the fixtures - the two games that stand out as being crucial are Ayr away and Dumbarton at home.

Were we to lose both of those to our relegation rivals then I think we would be in a world of trouble.

In some ways it is ludicrous to think that we are still clinging to 5th place given the run of results that we have had since the Morton 0-5 defeat at home at the end of Q1.

I have lost any hope that Manager will get us playing decent football - best we can hope for is grinding out some results that will keep us safe. Must admit I feel sorry for Dobbie seeing the match ball taking a pounding from the first whistle and him relying on the odd scrap falling to him in the final third. I can't honestly think that he is enjoying his football with us under GN.

5 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We arent safe yet though its unlikely everyone will come past us. One more win would probably do. However if we were to lose our next two against United and Ayr we would be in big trouble with Hibs away to follow.

We are nowhere near safe.How is it unlikely everyone will come past us ?..We have 2 points from our last 15 to me that is relegation form.All teams below us are winning games.We are not playing well to many players off form.Take game V Raith that game was there to win but we had nothing to give just got away with a point.

16 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

We are nowhere near safe.How is it unlikely everyone will come past us ?..We have 2 points from our last 15 to me that is relegation form.All teams below us are winning games.We are not playing well to many players off form.Take game V Raith that game was there to win but we had nothing to give just got away with a point.

Uh huh, I pointedly said we aren't safe yet so not sure why you are quoting me and trying to make it look like you are disagreeing with me. I said we need at least one more win. For a start if we get one more win St Mirren would need to win 4 of their last 7 to get past us, a fixture list which includes playing all of the top four away from home as well as home games with Raith, Dumbarton and Ayr. To do that they'd most likely have to win at least 2 of those three home games and if they do that it's diminishing the chances of those three coming past us too. There are so many teams below us and so many head to heads there will be points taken off one another and it's unlikely they will all come past us.

I don't think 36 points will be enough to avoid 9th (it might be enough to avoid 10th) but I'd be fairly sure 40 would do. 39 might do. Oour chances would be helped if St Mirren remain competitive and chasing down the teams above them. Much also depends on how competitive the top four actually make the last few weeks. Hibs in particular could win the league before they even play us on April 15th if they can take 9 points out of 9 before then, including two wins over Morton. That would take them out of reach of Morton & Falkirk and most likely United, though if United win 4 games on the spin before then they would only be 11 points behind with 4 games to go. Once Hibs have won it Lord knows how much they'll bother with the remaining games. They'll probably take ours seriously as it's the last one before their Scottish Cup semi final but if they lose that then the last three against Raith, Ayr & St Mirren could see the players on the beach already!

Uh huh, I pointedly said we aren't safe yet so not sure why you are quoting me and trying to make it look like you are disagreeing with me. I said we need at least one more win. For a start if we get one more win St Mirren would need to win 4 of their last 7 to get past us, a fixture list which includes playing all of the top four away from home as well as home games with Raith, Dumbarton and Ayr. To do that they'd most likely have to win at least 2 of those three home games and if they do that it's diminishing the chances of those three coming past us too. There are so many teams below us and so many head to heads there will be points taken off one another and it's unlikely they will all come past us.
I don't think 36 points will be enough to avoid 9th (it might be enough to avoid 10th) but I'd be fairly sure 40 would do. 39 might do. Oour chances would be helped if St Mirren remain competitive and chasing down the teams above them. Much also depends on how competitive the top four actually make the last few weeks. Hibs in particular could win the league before they even play us on April 15th if they can take 9 points out of 9 before then, including two wins over Morton. That would take them out of reach of Morton & Falkirk and most likely United, though if United win 4 games on the spin before then they would only be 11 points behind with 4 games to go. Once Hibs have won it Lord knows how much they'll bother with the remaining games. They'll probably take ours seriously as it's the last one before their Scottish Cup semi final but if they lose that then the last three against Raith, Ayr & St Mirren could see the players on the beach already!

To keep it simple ....we are pish .

Thought it was worth updating the top 20 scorers as that hasn't been done for a while:

20 - Willie Dougan (65)
19 - Jimmy Rutherford (66)
18 - Lex Law (68)
17 - John O'Neill (70)
16 - Jackie Law (71)
15 - Billy Houliston (74)
14 - Stephen Dobbie (75)
13 - Rowan Alexander (78)
12 - Iain McChesney (79)
11 - Jackie Oakes (81)
10 - Jimmy Robertson (89)
9 - Ian Reid (89)
8 - Tommy McCall (93)
7 - Stevie Mallan (94)
6 - Tommy Bryce (95)
5 - Jocky Dempster (98)
4 - Derek Lyle (108)
3 - Andy Thomson (114)
2 - Bobby Black (120)
1 - Jim Patterson (251)

Notwithstanding the debate as to whether it actually crossed the line or not, Saturday's goal was Dobbie's 75th for Queens and moves him clear of Billy Houliston as our all time 14th top scorer. He's now 3 behind Rowan Alexander and 4 behind Iain McChesney. A place in the top 12 before end of the season is still possible. As it stands he'll need 25 more in 6 games + 1 season to become our 5th scorer of 100 goals.

Meanwhile Derek Lyle continues to creep towards Andy Thomson's total. Now 6 behind in 4th spot.

54 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Not yet? Expecting him back then soon?

I wouldn't be remotely surprised if Gavin Reilly comes back before the end of his career. He is local and his family have an affinity with the club. I've no reason to believe he'll be back soon (does he not have another year at Hearts?). A lot of the players on that list had more than one spell at the club (Thomson, Bryce, Lyle, Robertson, Dobbie, Alexander, O'Neill).

But no, I was just messing with Stellaboz.

44 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I wouldn't be remotely surprised if Gavin Reilly comes back before the end of his career. He is local and his family have an affinity with the club. I've no reason to believe he'll be back soon (does he not have another year at Hearts?). A lot of the players on that list had more than one spell at the club (Thomson, Bryce, Lyle, Robertson, Dobbie, Alexander, O'Neill).

But no, I was just messing with Stellaboz.

I'd be interested to see the list with breakdown by spell and number of games if that isn't too much trouble. :)