The Queen of the South thread

48 minutes ago, QOS1919 said:

Yes they beat Morton 4-0

Morton FC twitter had updates tonight. https://twitter.com/Morton_FC?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Goals by Ross Fergusson, Aidan Smith and two in a minute from Connor Murray.

Well done to all concerned. Edit to add link to QOS site. QOS U20s

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

24 minutes ago, Hawk said:

Well done to the youngsters and all involved. :)

Thirteen straight wins since losing two of the first six. Great job to all involved. We were hammered in the second game at Ayr after going down to ten men early and were edged out 3-2 by Morton at Palmerston in October when they played 4 or 5 first teamers but otherwise the boys have been excellent. We've not really used first teamers either. Jim Atkinson has played 4 or 5 games in goal. Scott Hooper, Dean Brotherston, Aidan Smith and now Connor Murray who recently made a first team breakthrough have been involved in the second part of the season but Brotherston, Smith and Murray are all age qualified anyway. Hooper is the only overage outfield player to have played more than once I think.

48 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Thirteen straight wins since losing two of the first six. Great job to all involved. We were hammered in the second game at Ayr after going down to ten men early and were edged out 3-2 by Morton at Palmerston in October when they played 4 or 5 first teamers but otherwise the boys have been excellent. We've not really used first teamers either. Jim Atkinson has played 4 or 5 games in goal. Scott Hooper, Dean Brotherston, Aidan Smith and now Connor Murray who recently made a first team breakthrough have been involved in the second part of the season but Brotherston, Smith and Murray are all age qualified anyway. Hooper is the only overage outfield player to have played more than once I think.

Are there any you feel could potentially breakthrough? I know a few have made fleeting appearances so far but in no way could I tell from them whether they have what it takes. Its some run they have been on so if we get to the stage where we have nothing to play for it would be beneficial to try some out. Would be great to see another batch breakthrough at the same time like a few years ago.

1 minute ago, football maniac said:

Are there any you feel could potentially breakthrough? I know a few have made fleeting appearances so far but in no way could I tell from them whether they have what it takes. Its some run they have been on so if we get to the stage where we have nothing to play for it would be beneficial to try some out. Would be great to see another batch breakthrough at the same time like a few years ago.

Not really appropriate for me to give an opinion on which ones are able to make a breakthrough and of course some are much younger than others. There are a few 17 year olds in the group and a few who won't be eligible for next year. There are some good young players in there though.

To be honest I don't manage to see that much of them myself really. I never see them away from home and only the odd home game, usually not even the whole game. I got to last night's game at half time when we were already 1-0 up for instance. I think I've seen them play 5 or 6 times this season maybe.

Watching the latest interview with the assistant manager, got me wondering if Queens employ a part-time Sports Psychologist to help the manager and his coaching staff with things like man-management, motivation and targeted back up?  Might be useful for targeted sessions with the players as a group or one to ones as well. Someone who is trusted and respected might help identify weaknesses in the team or management approach and help tweak things with the manager's countenance. Obviously, at Scottish Championship  level there is not the finances for a full-time psychologist but occasional input with the manager may be well worth while and give a marginal edge in a tight league and ultra competitive environment in my humble opinion. Anything that can make the group stronger must be worth considering and spending some money on. 

Thoughts? 

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, KingfaetheSooth said:

Watching the latest interview with the assistant manager, got me wondering if Queens employ a part-time Sports Psychologist to help the manager and his coaching staff with things like man-management, motivation and targeted back up?  Might be useful for targeted sessions with the players as a group or one to ones as well. Someone who is trusted and respected might help identify weaknesses in the team or management approach and help tweak things with the manager's countenance. Obviously, at Scottish Championship  level there is not the finances for a full-time psychologist but occasional input with the manager may be well worth while and give a marginal edge in a tight league and ultra competitive environment in my humble opinion. Anything that can make the group stronger must be worth considering and spending some money on. 

Thoughts? 

I think psychologically it isn't great for players to hear that they are 100% responsible for everything that goes wrong. This time the assistant manager was sent out to blame them, with Naysign of the manager.

On completing the deal, Queens boss Gary Naysmith said "Connor likes to get the ball down and pass. As he's a different kind of player to Joe Thomson, John Rankin and Ky Jacobs, he will give us other options in midfield.  We are grateful to Celtic for letting Connor join us for the run in and I'm looking forward to working with the talented youngster".

I'm interested in the above quote.  I get the point regarding Thomson and Jacobs, but if that doesn't describe Rankin then what is the point in having him?

Surprised to hear we've brought in another midfielder when it's obvious that the centre of defence was more of a priority imo. Maybe there's a bit of preparation for next season behind the decision. Still, I shouldn't really be surprised at any of the Manager's decisions.