The Queen of the South thread

10 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Not been a season to Remember really. See out the rest of the campaign blood some of our younger guys maybe and rebuild for next season. Give young Jim a run of games. Roll on next season

Are you joking saying we should blood some young players.At the rate we are going we will be in the playoffs right enough but at the wrong end of the table..Why give young Jim a run of games ?  Surely he will be the 1st name on the list in the summer clear out.

Guest Flash

Including a temp, we've had 4 different managers in the last year. And 6 since we came back up. You'd think with all this recruitment experience, the BOD would be experts by now.

Are you joking saying we should blood some young players.At the rate we are going we will be in the playoffs right enough but at the wrong end of the table..Why give young Jim a run of games ?  Surely he will be the 1st name on the list in the summer clear out.

No I not joking. There is no hope of reaching the promotion playoffs. We are currently mid table pish. So why not in these last few games continue to see what the younger guys can do. Guys like Murray and bell and Atkinson etc. Mix them in with the experienced guys. I not saying f**k it stick the u20 on I just support the view that those boys mentioned above should get a run of games.

There is going to be a summer clear out I don't doubt that but why should some players be binned if they haven't been given the chance. If players are out of their depth both in training and the match then fair enough but they need to be given the chance in my view.

We will pick up points in the games to come and certainly enough to keep us out of trouble. But I think Naismith needs to start on what his squad will be and won't be now.

23 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

We will pick up points in the games to come and certainly enough to keep us out of trouble. But I think Naismith needs to start on what his squad will be and won't be now.

What on earth can you possibly be basing this certainty on?

We are in awful form currently and have already shown this season that we're capable of going on horrendously lengthy terrible runs.

We are in awful form currently and have already shown this season that we're capable of going on horrendously lengthy terrible runs.

Foolish hope. I base it on we still to play Dumbarton and ayr which I hoping we will be strong enough against and hoping that the games against the pars and Raitt we will be competitive at least.

I said on here before I glass half full kinda guy and don't want to go down the doom and gloom path just yet.

1 minute ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Foolish hope. I base it on we still to play Dumbarton and ayr which I hoping we will be strong enough against and hoping that the games against the pars and Raitt we will be competitive at least.

I said on here before I glass half full kinda guy and don't want to go down the doom and gloom path just yet.

Fair enough - up to you.

There's a reason why that path is getting crowded though.

5 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

She's 67 years old, you should skoosh it.

Guest Flash
3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

A repeat of the form earlier in the season would see us take 2 points from the remaining 7 games.

Scott Mercer needs to take a break from the 1st team.He is not good enough just now maybe after a good pre season he might be ready but right now he is our weak Iink in defence.If he plays next week Bobby Barr will be the next to tear him apart.

First question to any new manager should be " do you play with 2 upfront ". If the answer is no they should say " there's the fucking door".

Agreed - I have been saying this for ages. Opposing teams don't pass you to death at this level so quite why we need to flood the midfield is beyond me.

It means that when our midfield look up trying to pick out a forward pass there is invariably nothing on and possession is lost.

Scott Mercer needs to take a break from the 1st team.He is not good enough just now maybe after a good pre season he might be ready but right now he is our weak Iink in defence.If he plays next week Bobby Barr will be the next to tear him apart.

Bobby Barr was an unused sub yesterday so might not even appear next week. Mercer should be fine up against the likes of Johnstone etc.

Guest Flash
34 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Agreed - I have been saying this for ages. Opposing teams don't pass you to death at this level so quite why we need to flood the midfield is beyond me.

It means that when our midfield look up trying to pick out a forward pass there is invariably nothing on and possession is lost.

Only thing I disagree with there is that, under Naysmith, it is our defenders/goalkeeper who try to pick out a forward "pass".

15 hours ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Bobby Barr was an unused sub yesterday so might not even appear next week. Mercer should be fine up against the likes of Johnstone etc.

Depends if Mercer has got his legs untangled following the roasting he took on Saturday. Mercer and Rankin are imho proving to be poor signings. They are here for next season too I think. Mercer may improve, and there's plenty room for improvement, but giving Rankin a two year deal was a poor decision by the Manager/BOD.

I've mostly liked what I have seen of Mercer.  Obviously he had a rough time on Saturday, but even the best full-backs in the world will have suffered a similar roasting from an on-fire winger.

The system we are playing doesn't do the full-backs any favours as they have no support when it comes to defending, and are also expected to provide all of the attacking width.  It's a thankless task, and rather than hanging him out to dry, I actually have a lot of sympathy for Mercer after Saturday.

I don't think the formation is really utilising Rankin to the best of his abilities either.  When we signed him I expected him to be in the Derek Young/Mark Kerr mould.  Put his foot on the ball and dictate play from the middle of the park.  It's certainly how he started out, but playing him as another "spoiler" alongside Jacobs just sees him running about like a headless chicken, flying into tackles and then getting rid of the ball as quickly as possible.  He doesn't need to be doing this because Jacobs is already there fulfilling the same role.

felt first half against st mirren we played well, for the first 30 minutes was probably the best dykes has played in a while can see why he started with him with his height against there big centre halves. thomas works really hard but nothing seems to come of for him at the minute. i would like to see naysmith try a 4-3-3 with the 3 centre mids thomson rankin jacobs while thomas lyle and dobbie uptops 

Depends if Mercer has got his legs untangled following the roasting he took on Saturday. Mercer and Rankin are imho proving to be poor signings. They are here for next season too I think. Mercer may improve, and there's plenty room for improvement, but giving Rankin a two year deal was a poor decision by the Manager/BOD.

Unlike several others I couldn't understand the positivity surrounding Rankine's arrival. He works hard and is an organiser but in that opening away match away at St Mirren he continually gave the ball away and with the odd exception he has continued in the same vein.

As I keep repeating it was great to get these wins after the new signings -St Mirren away and an away win at Dumbarton but it is really important to look behind the results and judge the performances. GN did have a decent run but at no time did I think we were playing well and that horrendous defensive set up at home to Hibs left me completely under- whelmed.

Personally I doubt he will be there next season unless he can somehow drag the team out of this dreadful rut. I am not an advocate of sacking managers but equally I wouldn't give out longer term deals to unproven Managers.

A big decision coming up at end of season - stick or twist.

Unlike several others I couldn't understand the positivity surrounding Rankine's arrival. He works hard and is an organiser but in that opening away match away at St Mirren he continually gave the ball away and with the odd exception he has continued in the same vein.

Why do you keep spelling his name wrong?