The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, steakpiegravy said:

Read it and like most things in the National promotes the latest "bandwagon" in Scotland, whether it's effective or not.

23 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There are about 1,000 different shareholders in Queen of the South and shares were available for circa 15 years. I know they are not currently readily available but there are plenty of fans included in the ownership structure at Queens.

Indeed. More generally, football clubs in Scotland and elsewhere are becoming more community based and it's my opinion that the fans and wider local community in Dumfries and Galloway might well get more involved and support a football club that can demonstrate that it's Supporters Trust or say charitable foundation is at the centre of everything it does. There is still a lot of negativity about Queens locally and maybe just maybe a change in emphasis away from the current Chairman/Board led football club would help and be a way of engaging more people in a positive way and be good for the club longer term. 

Don't get me wrong, results on the pitch are the still the driving force with regards attendances and revenue but it's easier to "sell" the benefit of a true community football club to the wider community where it is a true community club with regards to ownership and how it is run. 

The key for the Trust and supporter groups is to engage with the major shareholders as well as local businesses, politicians and the like and try to make this happen for the long term benefit of the club and the community. Perhaps in the future the main shareholders will agree this is the way forward and transfer their shareholding to a Community trust or similar. Well, I can dream even if I'm not holding my breath. 

23 hours ago, Mr X said:

Checks and balances of what? What would they be checking that the shareholders dont?

I see the discussion has moved on. I pretty much agree with what Flash has put forward. 

Spoiler

Dear oh dear, let's get out of the Boardroom and back onto the pitch where it really matters !

If results go our way, by the time we play Morton (A) on March 11 we could end up above them at full-time !

Time for positivity !

Edited by Nithsdale Wanderer

Spoiler  
Dear oh dear, let's get out of the Boardroom and back onto the pitch where it really matters !
 If results go our way, by the time we play Morton (A) on March 11 we could end up above them at full-time !
Time for positivity !

If it goes tits up in the boardroom then there won't be a team on the pitch.

The boardroom matters just as much.

14 hours ago, KingfaetheSooth said:

Indeed. More generally, football clubs in Scotland and elsewhere are becoming more community based and it's my opinion that the fans and wider local community in Dumfries and Galloway might well get more involved and support a football club that can demonstrate that it's Supporters Trust or say charitable foundation is at the centre of everything it does. There is still a lot of negativity about Queens locally and maybe just maybe a change in emphasis away from the current Chairman/Board led football club would help and be a way of engaging more people in a positive way and be good for the club longer term. 

Don't get me wrong, results on the pitch are the still the driving force with regards attendances and revenue but it's easier to "sell" the benefit of a true community football club to the wider community where it is a true community club with regards to ownership and how it is run. 

The key for the Trust and supporter groups is to engage with the major shareholders as well as local businesses, politicians and the like and try to make this happen for the long term benefit of the club and the community. Perhaps in the future the main shareholders will agree this is the way forward and transfer their shareholding to a Community trust or similar. Well, I can dream even if I'm not holding my breath.

Why is that the case?

Sadly there is negativity concerning many clubs in Scotland, not just Queens. Queen of the South FC is well run club. Many teams in Scotland are, I am sure, envious of what we have achieved. The current, and recent, Board of Directors has achieved a lot. We are running a full time team with a home attendance circa 1500. In itself this is not sustainable. Our Board clearly have a vision to ensure that off field activities support the team on the field. I voted against supporter representation on the Board and am clearly of the view 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. So let us give a bit of credit where it is due and be thankful we have a Board of Directors who are taking the club in the right direction. As Nithsdale Wanderer said lets get out of the Boardroom and back on to the pitch.

3 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

Sadly there is negativity concerning many clubs in Scotland, not just Queens. Queen of the South FC is well run club. Many teams in Scotland are, I am sure, envious of what we have achieved. The current, and recent, Board of Directors has achieved a lot. We are running a full time team with a home attendance circa 1500. In itself this is not sustainable. Our Board clearly have a vision to ensure that off field activities support the team on the field. I voted against supporter representation on the Board and am clearly of the view 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. So let us give a bit of credit where it is due and be thankful we have a Board of Directors who are taking the club in the right direction. As Nithsdale Wanderer said lets get out of the Boardroom and back on to the pitch.

Serfdom alive and well.

And voluntary.

Calm doon Billy, we still love you!

" There's a match thread for that m8."
Being fairly new to this, I didn't realise this was a 'football free' zone. I hope I may be forgiven for thinking that something with Queen of the South in the title would have been.
Thanks for putting me right !

It's a place for discussing everything with the club.

You are the one that rubbished the discussion, no one wise.

On the whole fan representation thing, I really have no strong feelings one way or the other. On balance I'm probably a little more in favour than against.

Spoiler  
Time for positivity !

Yes, let's all get back to the football. In a truly topsy-turvy season we should all get back to onfield activities. Has there ever been a season that has been so up and down for the club?

More good news tonight, Jacobs signs a 2 year extension and Marshall 1. Jacobs has been one of our best players this season so I'm really happy he'll be here to partner Rankin. Marshall isn't my favourite player but there will be worse LB out there.

Writing it as I can't get the link for the official website to load, annoyingly (my phone's fault not the website).

More good news tonight, Jacobs signs a 2 year extension and Marshall 1. Jacobs has been one of our best players this season so I'm really happy he'll be here to partner Rankin. Marshall isn't my favourite player but there will be worse LB out there.

Writing it as I can't get the link for the official website to load, annoyingly (my phone's fault not the website).

Good business that, particularly Jacobs.

I'd like to see Lyle, Carmichael, Dykes, Brownlie and Atkinson to sign on again, then build the rest around that. I've probably missed someone obvious as well.

15 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Good business that, particularly Jacobs.

I'd like to see Lyle, Carmichael, Dykes, Brownlie and Atkinson to sign on again, then build the rest around that. I've probably missed someone obvious as well.

Dykes is already contracted for next season.