The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

We were never going to break into the top 4 this season.Stay 5th  then have a good go next season.How long is Naysmith under contract for ?

I don't agree that "we were never..."

I didn't feel confident in the summer, but the signing of Dobbie made me more hopeful.

Six or seven weeks in, a top 4 finish hardly looked like a fanciful ambition and anyone suggesting it was, is lying.  

The way it's unfolded, 5th would be fine.  Looking to make 4th has hardly been outrageous at points though.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I didn't feel confident in the summer, but the signing of Dobbie made me more hopeful.

Six or seven weeks in, a top 4 finish hardly looked like a fanciful ambition and anyone suggesting it was, is lying.  

The way it's unfolded, 5th would be fine.  Looking to make 4th has hardly been outrageous at points though.

This

24 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Whilst you are literally correct, to be fair to Northfield I think he was referring to the recent discussion, not harping back to August.

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Whilst you are literally correct, to be fair to Northfield I think he was referring to the recent discussion, not harping back to August.

Yes, looking at it again, you're probably right.

Saying "never ... this season" was a bit misleading though.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Was Kevin Holt any good at free kicks for you guys? I've been wanting him to take one for us for a while as he seems to have a good strike on him and I remember his goal against Rangers for you well. Was that a one off or was he pretty adept at hitting the target?

Was Kevin Holt any good at free kicks for you guys? I've been wanting him to take one for us for a while as he seems to have a good strike on him and I remember his goal against Rangers for you well. Was that a one off or was he pretty adept at hitting the target?

It's the only one I recall him scoring. I can't think of any other times he hit one but he likely did. Certainly couldn't be classed as adept though.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

51 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's the only one I recall him scoring. I can't think of any other times he hit one but he likely did. Certainly couldn't be classed as adept though.

He wasn't generally on free kicks. That one against Rangers was the first one he'd ever taken at first team level as far as I am aware. After scoring that one he had 2 or 3 other attempts that season from memory. Forced a good save of someone with one of them I seem to recall but never scored again and still was behind the likes of Millar and Lyle on them. Mitchell was first choice on the rare occasions he was actually on the pitch at that point too.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He wasn't generally on free kicks. That one against Rangers was the first one he'd ever taken at first team level as far as I am aware. After scoring that one he had 2 or 3 other attempts that season from memory. Forced a good save of someone with one of them I seem to recall but never scored again and still was behind the likes of Millar and Lyle on them. Mitchell was first choice on the rare occasions he was actually on the pitch at that point too.

After the one against Rangers, I remember Fowler saying he had no idea he could do that - he'd never seen him even attempt it in training.