The Queen of the South thread

Falkirk – DU (H), Morton (a), Dumbarton (h), QOS (A), Ayr (a), Morton (h)

Morton – Falkirk (h), DU (a), Dunfermline (h), Hibs (A), QOS (H), Falkirk (a)

QOS – Raith (h), Falkirk (h), Morton (A), St Mirren (h)

League fixtures up to and including March 18th from the BBC website.

Qos would have to improve dramatically in the last 12 games to catch falkirk and morton. Picking up points at the same rate as the first 24 games (31) is 1.29 per game. Assuming same rate in final games would mean finishing on 46 points. Falkirk would need to only pick up 9 points from our final 39 available. Our average has been 1.6 which would put us on a total of 57. Appreciate Queens look like they are getting back to good form and there are some head to head six pointers available so you never know. It is looking likely though that the top 4 could be as is with hibs winning and the order of the other places up for grabs.

4 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Qos would have to improve dramatically in the last 12 games to catch falkirk and morton. Picking up points at the same rate as the first 24 games (31) is 1.29 per game. Assuming same rate in final games would mean finishing on 46 points. Falkirk would need to only pick up 9 points from our final 39 available. Our average has been 1.6 which would put us on a total of 57. Appreciate Queens look like they are getting back to good form and there are some head to head six pointers available so you never know. It is looking likely though that the top 4 could be as is with hibs winning and the order of the other places up for grabs.

I think if you're looking at average points over the season then we already have dramatically improved, certainly on the second quarter.

After picking up just 2 points in the second quarter, we already have 10 points from the first 5 games this quarter. Its still a tough ask and I think we'll fall short of the play-offs but if we can win the two games against Falkirk it could be close

I think if you're looking at average points over the season then we already have dramatically improved, certainly on the second quarter.
After picking up just 2 points in the second quarter, we already have 10 points from the first 5 games this quarter. Its still a tough ask and I think we'll fall short of the play-offs but if we can win the two games against Falkirk it could be close

Agreed the head to heads will be crucial. Queens would need to win them though which is entirely possible. It's not easy though even if you are in form to increase ratios every game as all teams at the top are decent and have something to play for and the teams at the bottom are scrapping for their lives. It could come down to when you play teams in the fixture list. You guys have hibs on the fourth last game I think and they may well have the league wrapped up by then anyway.

Morton's away win at Raith almost certainly takes them out of our reach unless of course, we go on a brilliant run and they falter badly. Think Falkirk are the only realistic option but they also have a game in hand and a better goal difference.

That said we have 3 of next 4 games at home. Realistically we need to do something exceptional which in this league is very tough to deliver. Probably need 9 points out of 12 from these games with a win against Falkirk a must.

Not an impossible assignment but getting multiple wins is very difficult in this company. It would be good for us and the wider league if we were to make it interesting.

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 12:30, Skyline Drifter said:

As Mr X has already said game is tomorrow night. Our home 20's matches are mostly (but not always) Tuesdays.

And no, all the players out on loan are eligible to play and will be involved I expect since that's the whole point of them being on Development Loan so that they can play for both (it's also why generally we will play Tuesdays rather than Mondays to assist in spacing out the games).

On the official site there are 15 lads named in the 20's squad, last night in the 20's team there was 7 players named in the first team squad playing, surely you're not trying to tell us that all 22 lads were involved last night?

2 hours ago, outsider said:

On the official site there are 15 lads named in the 20's squad, last night in the 20's team there was 7 players named in the first team squad playing, surely you're not trying to tell us that all 22 lads were involved last night?

I am not really sure what point you are trying to make here? Clearly we cannot name 22 players in an 18 man squad.

The majority of those involved last night are on Development Loan somewhere. The post you quote was a response to a suggestion there wouldnt be loan players involved.

queens should be doing exactly what a lot of the under 20s teams are doing, playing 16/17 year olds in the games see how they can cope. players like hooper, brotherston, smith, moxon and jim atkinson shouldnt be playing. imo at there age if there not good enough for the first team release them and let them go and play elsewhere 

queens should be doing exactly what a lot of the under 20s teams are doing, playing 16/17 year olds in the games see how they can cope. players like hooper, brotherston, smith, moxon and jim atkinson shouldnt be playing. imo at there age if there not good enough for the first team release them and let them go and play elsewhere 

The only one I disagree with is Atkinson. Goalkeepers are a bit different, they generally come to the first team a bit later. I also think that he has looked good enough in the games that he has played. I would like to see Naysmith use him in the cups next season.

13 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I am not really sure what point you are trying to make here? Clearly we cannot name 22 players in an 18 man squad.

The majority of those involved last night are on Development Loan somewhere. The post you quote was a response to a suggestion there wouldnt be loan players involved.

Your reply to the post that suggested there wouldn't be loan players involved was that you expected all the players that were out on loan would be involved. Now let's be honest, that was never going to happen was it?  As you say there are too many players, hence the reason for the loan deals, I'm also pretty sure some of the lads on loan will seldom if ever get a shout for the 20's on match days.

1 hour ago, the tactician said:

I totally disagree. Imo for the good of Scottish football it would be good for these 16/17 year olds to have to challenge themselves against men in a reserve league. It will make them have to raise their game to get in. What use is it seeing how 16/17 year olds cope against fellow 16/17 year olds? What do we learn then?

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

The only one I disagree with is Atkinson. Goalkeepers are a bit different, they generally come to the first team a bit later. I also think that he has looked good enough in the games that he has played. I would like to see Naysmith use him in the cups next season.

He should move on.

2 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Queens seem fairly comfortable mid table without pushing close to either play off. Decent season considering?

Considering our start, probably not. Considering the mid-season slump, decent and a massive relief that we didnt get dragged into the relegation battle.

No one thought we would seriously challenge for the title but if we'd picked up 7 or 8 points from the second quarter, instead of 2, we'd be competing seriously with Falkirk and Morton rather than as outsiders

1 hour ago, football maniac said:

I totally disagree. Imo for the good of Scottish football it would be good for these 16/17 year olds to have to challenge themselves against men in a reserve league. It will make them have to raise their game to get in. What use is it seeing how 16/17 year olds cope against fellow 16/17 year olds? What do we learn then?

i dont think you understood my post? i am saying that we should be using the 16/17 year old boys in the under 20s games instead of using the likes of hooper, moxon etc who arent good enough for the first team so shouldnt be at the club 

23 minutes ago, the tactician said:

i dont think you understood my post? i am saying that we should be using the 16/17 year old boys in the under 20s games instead of using the likes of hooper, moxon etc who arent good enough for the first team so shouldnt be at the club 

23 minutes ago, the tactician said:

Your allowed to play overage players in the u20s and I think its beneficial having experienced players lacking game time, coming back from injury or whatever helping the young guys out. I still think the return of a reserve league would be better though for Scottish football. I disagree re Moxon. He is still better than those younger than him so it is up to them to get to his level

Edited by football maniac

2 hours ago, outsider said:

Your reply to the post that suggested there wouldn't be loan players involved was that you expected all the players that were out on loan would be involved. Now let's be honest, that was never going to happen was it?  As you say there are too many players, hence the reason for the loan deals, I'm also pretty sure some of the lads on loan will seldom if ever get a shout for the 20's on match days.

Seriously? You're trying to point score over the omission of the word "some" from the first post. Quite clearly we weren't going to use ALL the loan players. Three of them are schoolboys attached to the club on an amateur basis who have rarely turned out for the 20's this season for a start.

I didn't say there were too many players, I said there are more than 18.

3 hours ago, the tactician said:

Moxon has only just turned 19 and is still eligible for 20's for a further season. You are dismissing him much too early in my opinion. Hooper clearly already is going to be away at the end of the season. Goalkeepers are different. Brotherston and Smith have already been around the first team but presumably Gary Naysmith will be assessing them over the next few months in the 20's to see how they get on. He won't know them particularly having not been here before.

I think Jim Atkinson is probably not that far behind Robinson and to be ignored for some of Irn Bru / League Cup ties was pretty harsh. If my memory serves me correctly James Fowler did the same thing last season although he did drop Thomson later in season and Atkinson deservedly got a few games.

I think Jim needs to move on next season for his own good but in all honesty I think he is a pretty decent keeper who will improve. Jim's experience with Queens serves to highlight the plight of the keeper - only one position to go for with an experienced keeper ahead of you in queue.