The Queen of the South thread

On 01/02/2017 at 08:25, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah not much changes. They still train with the 20s and do their college stuff through the day. And they still do whatever community work they did before. They will train a couple of evenings with their loan team (Dalbeattie train at Palmerston anyway) but the main difference is on Saturdays when they will be playing for the loan team instead of matchday duties at Palmerston. Leaves us a bit short staffed but we will cope.

Am going to pop along to watch the under 20s tonight v Airdrie. I assume none of the loaned out boys will be featuring given their Saturday matches now ? 

If so, I'm guessing the team will now consist of a new, possibly younger batch of players?

13 minutes ago, lesterplunkett said:

Am going to pop along to watch the under 20s tonight v Airdrie. I assume none of the loaned out boys will be featuring given their Saturday matches now ? 

If so, I'm guessing the team will now consist of a new, possibly younger batch of players?

The U20s game is tomorrow

3 hours ago, lesterplunkett said:

As Mr X has already said game is tomorrow night. Our home 20's matches are mostly (but not always) Tuesdays.

And no, all the players out on loan are eligible to play and will be involved I expect since that's the whole point of them being on Development Loan so that they can play for both (it's also why generally we will play Tuesdays rather than Mondays to assist in spacing out the games).

Just two years ago, they missed out on the play-offs, as we took the fourth spot.
On balance, I'd see Falkirk as the more catchable.
I don't think that will happen, but the notion is no longer fanciful.

At last falkirk are starting to find some form. Unbeaten in the league this year with 3 wins and a draw and playing better in the 4 games. The additions of mckee and Aird in much needed areas should hopefully strengthen us too. Morton are a good side with a good manager and have a game in hand to can't buy a win raith. It'll be a big ask for Queens to catch either club now especially when it's tough to pick up points versus the likes of hibs and United and games are running out. Even games against the likes of St mirren dumbarton and Ayr are tough. We've dropped 7 points to these three alone. One thing I would say is that Queens impressed at the Falkirk stadium last visit, have just comfortably beaten in form morton and have proven goalscorers in dobbie and lyle. Should be an exciting finish....

1 hour ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

At last falkirk are starting to find some form. Unbeaten in the league this year with 3 wins and a draw and playing better in the 4 games. The additions of mckee and Aird in much needed areas should hopefully strengthen us too. Morton are a good side with a good manager and have a game in hand to can't buy a win raith. It'll be a big ask for Queens to catch either club now especially when it's tough to pick up points versus the likes of hibs and United and games are running out. Even games against the likes of St mirren dumbarton and Ayr are tough. We've dropped 7 points to these three alone. One thing I would say is that Queens impressed at the Falkirk stadium last visit, have just comfortably beaten in form morton and have proven goalscorers in dobbie and lyle. Should be an exciting finish....

Yeah, on balance I disagree with MT. I think Morton are more likely to be caught than Falkirk, more because their squad is smaller and injuries and suspensions are likely to cause them more problems if they arise than you. The same is true of ourselves of course. We have a couple of fine forwards but very little behind them if either picks up significant injury. I do expect Morton to go back into 3rd tomorrow night though.

It will be a big ask for us to catch either club now. In our favour we only have one game each to play against Hibs and United. You have an extra one against United, two against Morton (we have one) and also two head to heads with us. We may well need to win both though. Morton still have four games against United and Hibs to play too as well as two against yourselves.

Yeah, on balance I disagree with MT. I think Morton are more likely to be caught than Falkirk, more because their squad is smaller and injuries and suspensions are likely to cause them more problems if they arise than you. The same is true of ourselves of course. We have a couple of fine forwards but very little behind them if either picks up significant injury. I do expect Morton to go back into 3rd tomorrow night though.
It will be a big ask for us to catch either club now. In our favour we only have one game each to play against Hibs and United. You have an extra one against United, two against Morton (we have one) and also two head to heads with us. We may well need to win both though. Morton still have four games against United and Hibs to play too as well as two against yourselves.

I said earlier that I think Morton are the more catchable but if they win at Raith tomorrow night I would say that we can realistically forget about catching them. That would be a 9 point deficit, a game in hand for Ton and a superior goal difference. Surely too much to do in too short a time.

While Raith are on a terrible run I don't expect Morton to win away there. They are short of forwards and I suspect that the players will have an eye on the cup trip to Ibrox. If I am wrong in my prediction I think we can forget Morton and hope to catch Falkirk.

I suspect that to give ourselves a good chance two wins against Falkirk will be a necessity and hope that we can outperform them in the other games.As always easier said than done but we look a lot stronger. Think we are a 4/1 shot for top 4.

I really don't see the point of trial periods these days. Most of the players we've signed after a trial have been utter mince Taylor Morgan and Rory boulding for example. You never really know what a players going to be like till they start playing first team games.

the under 20s were shocking last night against a young airdrie team. played a full strength team and not one of them looks good enough. hooper would struggle to get a game for a lowland league team absolute terrible he was, he was moved into centre midfield in the second half and he cant pass the ball. likes of smith, brotherston and bell showed flashes of good stuff but still not convinced in them

big changes needed to youth system if that is the players we are producing 

19 minutes ago, the tactician said:

the under 20s were shocking last night against a young airdrie team. played a full strength team and not one of them looks good enough. hooper would struggle to get a game for a lowland league team absolute terrible he was, he was moved into centre midfield in the second half and he cant pass the ball. likes of smith, brotherston and bell showed flashes of good stuff but still not convinced in them

big changes needed to youth system if that is the players we are producing 

Thought they were decent without being spectacular second half. Only saw the last 10 minutes of the first half but told it was poor stuff. Brotherston looked dangerous and Moxon was the best player on the park. He was at the root of the 2nd goal with a superb early ball out to Dean's feet and great footwork himself on the edge of the box to set up the 3rd for Smith as well as the wonderful run where he beat half the Airdrie team but hit the bar with an off balance shot.