The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

I could be wrong here but I don't think he's that injury prone

No? I thought he had a pretty bad one at Falkirk, must be mistaken.

24 minutes ago, JessieField said:

Craig Reid available, anybody fancy him? Can play fullback/central defender.

Reid looked a decent player with us, eventually. Its a bit odd that he's struggled to pick up more than short term deals since he left Motherwell. You'd have to ask if theres something behind it 

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

No? I thought he had a pretty bad one at Falkirk, must be mistaken.

Reid looked a decent player with us, eventually. Its a bit odd that he's struggled to pick up more than short term deals since he left Motherwell. You'd have to ask if theres something behind it 

Don't know if there is any truth in it but he was mentioned in the Cowdenbeath thread along the same lines as there player Craig Johnston which lets just say isn't good

The defence is very obviously a concern but I'm trying to ignore it and instead savour the turnaround in our attacking fortunes.

Some of the link up play between Dobbie, Thomas, Thomson and Carmichael was an absolute joy to watch on Saturday. It's a while since we've as much of a goalscoring threat from midfield.

If Naysmith can address the defensive situation as successfully as he has further up the pitch then we'll be fine.

Even if he doesn't if the rest of the season is as entertaining as Saturday I won't be complaining too much.

Having watched the highlights of Saturdays game it pains me to say it but Darren Brownlie could have should have prevented all 3 goals on Saturday..

No mention of Carmichael's awful attempt at marking on the second or Marshall's at the 3rd?

He was too easily beaten for the first. It's ludicrous to suggest he's at fault for all three though. The second in particular. Why is he at fault for failing to clear yet Marshall is again avoiding criticism for an equally poor attempt at a header? If anything his header made Brownlie's job even more difficult.

I'd let him off with the second one seeing as Marshall heads it to him from fairly close at an awkward height, the third is just poor all round from a defensive point of view with the cross coming in too easily and Marshall not stopping Murray along with Brownlie getting out-muscled far too easily. 

The first goal he is always up against it with the way he's positioned,  he slows down in order stand up to Murray whilst trying to twist around and Murray outsmarts him by knocking it other way and is far too quick for Brownlie to do anything about it when he's the last man with nobody able to cover. 

His main saving grace has been that Higgins has been worse, so barring signing anyone competent, we can hope for the attacking football to last as we sure as hell can't defend.

7 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

I'd let him off with the second one seeing as Marshall heads it to him from fairly close at an awkward height, the third is just poor all round from a defensive point of view with the cross coming in too easily and Marshall not stopping Murray along with Brownlie getting out-muscled far too easily. 

The first goal he is always up against it with the way he's positioned,  he slows down in order stand up to Murray whilst trying to twist around and Murray outsmarts him by knocking it other way and is far too quick for Brownlie to do anything about it when he's the last man with nobody able to cover. 

His main saving grace has been that Higgins has been worse, so barring signing anyone competent, we can hope for the attacking football to last as we sure as hell can't defend.

I've just seen the first goal again from Saturday. You're right about Brownlies positioning, but the reason hes last man is he starts 10 yards deeper than the rest of the back four. Had he been in line, Murray would have been a couple of yards offside. 

I dont think Higgins has been particularly worse, I dont think theres much in it between them at the moment. They have different issues, though. Higgins makes more obvious mistakes but Brownlie, in my opinion, has more moments like the first goal on Saturday. Personally, and I have nothing to back this up, we lose more goals from the things Brownlie doesnt do right than we do from the things Higgins does wrong.

9 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

the third is just poor all round from a defensive point of view with the cross coming in too easily and Marshall not stopping Murray along with Brownlie getting out-muscled far too easily. 

so barring signing anyone competent, we can hope for the attacking football to last as we sure as hell can't defend.

The cross comes in easily for the third mainly because Hamill jumps up, not having a clue where the ball is because he has turned his back. Must have been worried about spoiling his good looks.

Couldn't agree more with your final point. Naysmith has pretty much sorted out the midfield. It is probably expecting too much for him to be able to sort the defence out as well in this window. 

I've just seen the first goal again from Saturday. You're right about Brownlies positioning, but the reason hes last man is he starts 10 yards deeper than the rest of the back four. Had he been in line, Murray would have been a couple of yards offside. 
I dont think Higgins has been particularly worse, I dont think theres much in it between them at the moment. They have different issues, though. Higgins makes more obvious mistakes but Brownlie, in my opinion, has more moments like the first goal on Saturday. Personally, and I have nothing to back this up, we lose more goals from the things Brownlie doesnt do right than we do from the things Higgins does wrong.

On subject of Chris Higgins I don't think he is a "spent force" at this level. While I definitely think Brownlie has improved for me Higgy is still a better option. The fact that he is left sided gives a better balance but I can understand why Brownlie has been preferred and it is a matter of personal preference.

That said a pacy centre back would be a great addition if such a type can be found. Dare I say that it would let us hold a high defensive line in cases where we are trying to see games out rather than sitting deep and inviting trouble.

queen-of-the-south-mark-millar-282-topps-match-attax-2015-2016-spfl-collectable-football-trading-card-75575-p.jpg  Can't believe we let a million pound player go [emoji3]

I'm more shocked at the 71 Tackle rating. I can't recall him being a prolific tackler.

On the Higgins-Brownlie chat. If I had to pick I'd choose Brownlie. Higgins has been a great servant to the club but is coming to the end of his career. Brownlie is still relatively young and has potential to improve.