The Queen of the South thread

I bloody missed that game.

I was away on holiday.  I was there the previous year when we met them a bit earlier in the same tournament. 

There was quite good Queens following, but as it was spread over an area probably capable of accommodating about 8,000 fans, it wasn't easy to tell.

On Saturday, May 04, 2013 at 22:42, Skyline Drifter said:

Record Watch Update

Presumably the final update to the season records post ( i might do a bit of research into things like clean sheets when I get a chance though!). Today's 1-0 win over Albion Rovers extended out many of the already broken records and of course Nicky Clark's winner ties the club single season scoring record that has stood for 81 years. An amazing achievement. The best defence record and best goal difference are now formally confirmed though it was obvious for a while they'd be coming.

Club Records Already Set:

All time record points total for a season was 67 achieved in the 2001-02 championship season. We finish this season on 92 points, smashing the previous best to smithereens.

Latest First League Defeat in a season. We didn't lose our first league game until December 11th. The previous record was November 9th.

(Tied Record) Most Games Unbeaten from the Start of the Season. We were beaten in our 14th League game which matches the 13 game unbeaten start to 1985/86.

Most wins in a season - 24 in 1961/62. Again, another record smashed. The new record is 29.

Record Unbeaten Run in a Season - 16 games in 1950/51. New record set of 18 games, ended at Stenhousemuir.

Earliest Date for Clinching a League Title - 20th April 2002 was the previous earliest (it was 28th April 1951). This one was clinched on 27th March 2013.

Most points in a season using 2 points for a win - 55 in 85/86 (which was a 39 game season). This season's record equates to 63 despite being three games shorter.

Least defeats in a season - 5 in 1932/33. Best post war is 6 in 1950/51. This season we lost just TWO league games.

(Tied Record) Record Unbeaten Run at Home (League Only) - 18 games. We will go into next season with a chance to beat this.

Least goals conceded in a league season - 31 in 1923/24 but that was a 30 game season. 33 in a 38 game season in 74/75 is probably better. However, this season finishes with just 23 goals conceded.

Best goal difference in a season - +45 in 1961/62. We finish this season with a goal difference of +69.

(Tied Record) Most Goals for an Individual in a Season (All Competitions) - J Rutherford 41 goals, Nicky Clark ties this with 41 goals in 46 games.

And, the one that got away...................

Most goals scored in a season - 99 in 1931/32. Best post war is 94 in 1959/60. We came up just short on this one, finishing the league season with 92 goals. Still an astonishing return in modern football though.

Happy to hear of any corrections in the above existing records? I might have missed something or there may be errors in the source data somewhere.

From three years ago in this thread for reference on unbeaten starts.

4 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

SD where is best place to look for keepers with most clean sheets for the club?

No idea. You would need a definitive list of teams played by result to work that out. Hard to believe it wouldnt be Allan Ball though given 731 appearances or whatever it was.

No idea. You would need a definitive list of teams played by result to work that out. Hard to believe it wouldnt be Allan Ball though given 731 appearances or whatever it was.

Unlikely anyone else would be above Allan Ball like you say was just wondering where Lee Robinson was on that list. I didn't fancy putting the effort to find such a thing out.

1 hour ago, kleinfaethetoon said:

I was there, but wouldn't like to have a stab in the dark how many were there either !

I was there. No idea the size of our support. Took some armchair supporting Celtic university mates into the Queens end, but only swelled our numbers by a couple.

edited for wierd predictive text

Edited by calcutta

I was there. No idea the size of our support. Took some armchair supporting Celtic university mates into the Queens end, but only swelled our numbers by a couple.

edited for wierd predictive text

I was there as well. A wild stab in the dark would be in the region of 2000. Possibly not quite as many but not far off.

I was too young for that one, was there much of a Queens support up that night?

There was a good few thousand including myself in my days of being a teenage AFC supporting Doonhamer but also went to Queens games failing to act like a hard man in the BBC/CID days (only those of a certain age in Dumfries will know what this means)....sad I know but at least Palmy had an atmosphere then.

Our tyres got slashed, had to wait on a replacement bus coming up from Dfs, with mounted Police protecting us from bricks and bottles.

Think that was the last time I got the Casuals bus !!!

I guess the reluctance of many to attend this game highlights just how tough it is to swell numbers even on the big occasions. We have taken some great away midweek supports over the years ( most notably Hibs away- not the easiest away journey for many) but these days seem a long way off now. 

For me the prospect of beating either side of the Old Firm when their fans turn up with this divine expectation to beat teams like us with total disregard for any quality that we have at our disposal, makes the upside of victory all the more exciting and appealing. For us to struggle to sell 1000 tickets after the start we have made this season is disappointing to say the least.

Give me a cup night under the lights at a tremendous stadium over a run of the mill away trip to a fellow Championship side and it is a no contest - I just dont get this Ibrox intimidation thing at all. Our fans give as good as they get despite the obvious imbalance in numbers.

If we play to as we have been doing then we should have a very decent chance of making this close.

Have been to the last couple of away games in the league, but wouldn't dream of going to Ibrox. Wouldn't contribute a penny to an institution that was built on sectarianism and discrimination on the basis of religion, and won't be subsidising the doppelgänger version. No point in subjecting myself to their fans' characteristically tiresome bigotry masquerading as 'banter' when my TV has a mute button.

Also don't subscribe to the bizarre view that my presence or absence will contribute anything whatsoever towards our chances of winning the match. Have never been one to join in sing-a-longs, but even if I had an irresistible urge to celebrate Derek Lyle's propensity for hedonism in song, I suspect my contribution towards the eventual result would be negligible.

Edited by Frankie S

As said before, I will be attending along with 4/5 others. A few of my friends wouldn't go purely because it is Rangers and Ibrox. Queens' support has not been too impressive in last couple of years in general but it is safe to say there are some fans who simply will not go to Ibrox. 

I took a few non-football Glasgow friends and wags to the challenge cup game a few years ago. Asked the same ones if they wanted to go again and the answer was along the lines of "no way will i go back after the poisonous atmosphere at that game." (from rangers fans)

Personally I agree with the previous poster who said that a lot of grounds are like this. I think it just feels worse at Ibrox because you are penned into the corner and there are a lot more folk shouting at you from both sides.

3 hours ago, Frankie S said:

Have been to the last couple of away games in the league, but wouldn't dream of going to Ibrox. Wouldn't contribute a penny to an institution that was built on sectarianism and discrimination on the basis of religion, and won't be subsidising the doppelgänger version. No point in subjecting myself to their fans' characteristically tiresome bigotry masquerading as 'banter' when my TV has a mute button.

Also don't subscribe to the bizarre view that my presence or absence will contribute anything whatsoever towards our chances of winning the match. Have never been one to join in sing-a-longs, but even if I had an irresistible urge to celebrate Derek Lyle's propensity for hedonism in song, I suspect my contribution towards the eventual result would be negligible.

It is obviously your own choice whether to attend or not.  

However, I'd imagine players do get a lift when they see a big support has bothered to come support them rather than stay at home.

Each to their own though.

Personally I think our fans need to man up here.
I've been to many games north and south of the border over the years and witnessed some shocking scenes. Man City v Millwall at Maine Road will always stick in my mind when Millwall kicked off big time in the ground.

Football is a working class mans game and a few chants, songs, gestures etc should not be putting our fans off from attending Ibrox. We've got a great chance of progressing to a National Semi Final so get along and support the team as Cup Quarter finals don't come along that often [emoji170]

I would be going if I wasn't away at work, although I can understand why people wouldn't want to go there. The only ground I've ever been spat on and had hot drinks poured on us from above. Their fans spend the entire game shouting abuse at the away fans instead of watching the game, each to their own I suppose.