Doctor Who

yoda

Missy was brilliant, I'm kind of gutted that Gomez has finished now. I'm fairly "meh" about the doctor being a female, not got much of an opinion either way tbh. Will wait until I've seen her action before deciding whether or not I like her, same as I would if it was another bloke. 

Its been signposted for long enough that it would be a woman tbh not really sure why thats a problem. I do think though that jodie whittaker is a bit underwhelming when there were names like tilda Swinton being bandied about. Might be unfair on whittaker and perhaps its more a reflection on the roles shes done (and that bloody accent in broadchurch) that its hard to see here in the role. I reckon someone like vicky mcclure or olivia coleman would have been far more exciting. Biggest issue will still, be the writing. Wondering if 13 episodes per series plus xmas special is asking too much. 6 or 7 with xmas might keep it fresher. Not totally convinced the right person has been picked based on broadchurch either.....ie started superbly poor 2nd series 3rd series promise then anti climactic finish and overblown over sentimental ending. Some of the writing was really clunky n it was carried in places by tennant n Coleman.

Olivia Coleman was in Matt Smith's first episode but the show has a habit of casting former guest stars as the Doctor - Colin Baker was in one of Peter Davison's stories and Peter Capaldi played a citizen of Pompeii in a David Tennant episode (Karen Gillan had a non-speaking role in that one too) - so that wouldn't have stopped them choosing her. The fanwank* explanation was that when the Doctor regenerates he sometimes takes on the appearance of somebody he has met if that person has made a big impression,.

*Fanwank is when the obsessive fans of a show try to explain away a mistake or other oddity. It's been happening since the Sherlock Holmes stories first appeared, and probably longer.

11 hours ago, GordonD said:

Olivia Coleman was in Matt Smith's first episode but the show has a habit of casting former guest stars as the Doctor - Colin Baker was in one of Peter Davison's stories and Peter Capaldi played a citizen of Pompeii in a David Tennant episode (Karen Gillan had a non-speaking role in that one too) - so that wouldn't have stopped them choosing her. The fanwank* explanation was that when the Doctor regenerates he sometimes takes on the appearance of somebody he has met if that person has made a big impression,.

*Fanwank is when the obsessive fans of a show try to explain away a mistake or other oddity. It's been happening since the Sherlock Holmes stories first appeared, and probably longer.

The Lassie who played Martha was in the two parter when Rose left too.

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, diamond_for_life said:

Bradley Walsh the new companion then ? 

Got a whole Bonnie Langford vibe going on, here. That worked out well.

Edited by renton

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...