Doctor Who

yoda

This series has been good. It hasn't had a classic episode yet but they've generally been solid. The brilliant thing about this series hasn't been the episodes themselves but The Doctor and Bill. Capaldi is a brilliant Doctor and his frenetic acting style and deadpan delivery are spot on - I think he might be the best Doctor since the show returned but sadly has been lumbered with some of the worst material. Bill could be the best companion since the show returned too given time - it's such a shame the we had that lump Clara during the last couple of years.

Given who the new show runner is next series, I can only see the quality decreasing next time so we'd better enjoy it while it lasts.

That was utter bollards yet again.

This series has been massively underwhelming.  Hackneyed, overused storylines, awful cgi and not very good acting.
The only mild saving graces have been Missy and I've been slightly pleasantly surprised by Bill, who has been better than I expected.
Overall though, it's been shite.

Tend to agree.....there's not been an original episode. Moffat has just recycled previous episodes and the cgi has certainly looked ropey. He should never have been given this series after he ruined sherlock. Capaldi has battled manfully but it's a sinking ship. Pearl mackie doesn't seem that bad an actress tbf but her character and dialogue are woefully written....and matt lucas needs shooting into the sun!

Guess I'm the only one who thought it was largely shite then?

The cybermen were just OK, but I'm increasingly hacked off with hackneyed reused storytines.  I actually can't believe they did the "cyberman tear" thing again.  River Song's Cyberman shed a tear.

Perhaps I'm just a grumpy c**t who expects too much,

I thought it was great but it definitely would have been better without knowing both the Cybermen and John Simm were going to be in it before. I accept things like that will always be leaked online but there's no need for them to be in the trailers.

I thought it was a great episode despite the Mondasian Cybermen having been trailed, it added to the poignancy of the episode. Sadly it took my eldest daughters prompting for me to realise it was John Simm in disguise as she kept on asking who the actor was playing the character and I couldn't quite put me finger on it until about 5 minutes before the reveal!

Good episode. Good sci fi concepts with the different passages of time in the different parts of the ship. The master and missy are played really well.
On the downside I thought the acting from capaldi and pearl mackie wasn't great. Sets it up nicely for the finale.

In fairness, surely as soon as you saw the people with tights on their head saying "pain" in a Cyberman voice it was pretty obvious that they were Cybermen.

Agree they should've kept Simm secret.

Maybe they've kept the ultimate spoiler secret and we find out who the new Doctor is next week?

I enjoyed that have watched it twice twice now,

Now for wild speculation my thinking is that the doctor. Will take cyber bill and rebuild her/it as nando 

And bill is the new doctor, I am sure moffat has said before he wanted more Diversity in the show. He would get the credit for doing it and as he is pissing off would not have to deal with any fallout from fans.

Then the next doctor will be traveling with her self  bill doctor and cyberbill modefied into nando. This means the Christmas special will be

A double bill

Edited by paulathame

20 hours ago, Fide said:

Guess I'm the only one who thought it was largely shite then?

The cybermen were just OK, but I'm increasingly hacked off with hackneyed reused storytines.  I actually can't believe they did the "cyberman tear" thing again.  River Song's Cyberman shed a tear.

Perhaps I'm just a grumpy c**t who expects too much,

Was it not Danny Pink that shed a tear as a Cyberman 

2 hours ago, ajwffc said:

Was it not Danny Pink that shed a tear as a Cyberman 

Perhaps it was, I could be wrong.  The point is, that exact schtick has been done before.

As the above posts show, I clearly am in the minority who thought it was shite.  I suppose growing up with Doctor Who as my favourite show in the 80s means that the modern Who can never reach my lofty expectations, who knows, if you'll pardon the pun.  And I suppose there will be some people who match that description who also thoroughly enjoyed Saturday's episode, so maybe I'm just wrong.

Still thought it was, in the main, shite.