Doctor Who

yoda

Gave this three episodes, have not manages to stick with any of them to the end, honestly im out. 

Cant stand the assistant, really dislike Matt Lucas in general and Capaldi is really not working for me as a Doctor.  All hindered to a greater or lesser degree by some hideous writing, characterisation and stories. 

For me, Saturdays episode was just a bit bland. There was nothing really to be excited about and the ending slipped from the British soldiers gaining the respect of the Ice Warriors, to a bit of a soppy love in that didn’t really seem in keeping with what had just happened.

There was also a lack of conversations, and general screen time, between Capaldi and Pearl Mackie who have carried the poorer storylines this series.

Have to say I find Mark Gatiss's writing on Doctor Who poor and this was right down there with his worst. Seems to have went Victorian soldiers on the moon but with Ice Warriors rather than Zulus sounds great, just add predictable plotting and 1 dimensional characterisation, mix together and there's an episode.

I've enjoyed this series on the whole. Didn't buy into the pre-season Bill is going to terrible part and think she has made a good assistant. The bigger surprise for me is Lucas/ Nardole who I didn't like in his previous outings. Capaldi has been great, I particularly appreciated his almost deranylook on his face in the last episode of the 3 parter when they charged the tanker into the harbour.

I was drinking in a noisy house while watching, but it seemed okay to me. The Ice Warriors were well-realised and I enjoyed the twist on the "aliens invade period Earth" idea.

It was weakest on its characterisation. For the first time this series, Bill didn't really add anything and Nardole/Missy seemed to be in it to carry on a series arc rather than to advance the plot of this story in anyway.

Overall, perfectly solid, but not one that is likely to be regarded as a classic.

I might watch it again, sober.

Probably enjoyed that more than previous episodes. I love the Missy character. Next weeks episode looks good as well. 

p.s. Must admit to getting a wee chubby when the Master popped up at the end of next weeks trailer. :lol:

14 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I thought the regeneration was going to be in the Christmas special?

They haven't even announced who's taking over. If it was going to be in the last episode of the series then it'd already have been filmed and everybody would know, unless they do a Troughton and show the start of the regeneration but not the face of the new Doctor.

That was utter bollards yet again.

This series has been massively underwhelming.  Hackneyed, overused storylines, awful cgi and not very good acting.

The only mild saving graces have been Missy and I've been slightly pleasantly surprised by Bill, who has been better than I expected.

Overall though, it's been shite.

I don't agree that it's been shite. The last episode was so-so, I reckon I might have enjoyed it more if I'd watched it sober but I didn't enjoy enough to bother.

Most episodes have been quite good, with the three-parter being generally excellent.

This has been Capaldi's best season so far by some distance. He appears to be peaking just as he's leaving, like Davidson did.