Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

The amount of predictable convenient things that happened soured it a touch for me. Its like the idea of the White Walkers now having a Dragon. It'll inevitably cause havoc then get murked at the last second when all hope is lost.

Decent albeit predictable episode. The ice dragon fairly changes the game. The wall will be coming down next week. 

Is Dany expecting the Dothraki to fight in the north/beyond the wall? That'll be interesting.. 

So a smaller target in the sky is easier to spear than a larger target on the ground?

Was a clearer shot I thought, might have to watch it again.

3 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I literally just thought of someting else. Why did they all go north of the wall, including Dany, and not even mention the dragon glass? Do you think someone forgot to lift it when they left Dragonstone? It happens you know.

They had dragon glass weapons. Tormund had an axe, Jorah had a sword & dagger, and even the redshirts had spears. I didn't notice it at first. Tbh I'd have quite like to see them tooling up for it. Why bring Gendry on board as a smith and not take a couple of minutes to show him forging weapons to defeat them with?

I think you need to sort of tune out of anything like reality at this point. The timescales are hilarious now. Gendry must be on the same gear as Mo Farah, seemed to run back to the wall in about 15 minutes.

Thought that was another fantastic episode.  I'm now at the point where the obvious plot holes don't bother me anymore.  It's just fantastic TV hurtling towards a conclusion.

The Hound and Big Tormund Giantsbane are the latest duo that absolutely deserve their own show.

edit: When it looked like BTG was getting his jotters, I was perched on the edge of my seat.

Edited by KnightswoodBear

12 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I think suspending disbelief is fair enough up to a point, but the show has to keep to some sort of internal logic. Especially as in the early seasons, characters would point out that Westeros was massive and it took them a while to get places.

There must be a happy medium between the glacial pace of the later books, and people teleporting around the place in this series. I think it detracts from the drama a bit. 

2 hours ago, Fide said:

I thoroughly enjoyed that.   i think some people are going a bit far with trying to work out how long a raven would take to get to Dragonstone and how much clothing is too much to escape from a loch.  There are dragons, magic walls, an army of eunuchs and blue eyed zombies.  You're supposed to completely suspend disbelief and just go with it. 

I'm with Carl Cort's Hamstring here. No one wants or needs an entire series of people travelling from A to B in order to be geographically accurate, but having people whizzing back and forth so much is damaging the suspension of disbelief. Not due to the travel speeds themselves, but because it goes in tandem with the plot also moving at a rapid pace and having events which would previously have been stretched out over three or four episodes crammed into one leads to bad writing, unclear motivations and characters making uncharacteristic decisions.

Fide, your point about it being fantasy meaning we should just go with it is exactly why this matters: anything with fantasy/supernatural elements is only going to hold up if the non-fantasy elements remain believable, meaning the dragons, resurrections and shit can slot into a believable storyline rather than contributing to an escalating spiral of ridiculousness. When you start ramping up the miracle escapes from death of main characters and people being uncharacteristically idiotic just to serve the plot, it removes that suspension of disbelief.

I'm fine with a faster pace if the writers can sustain a high standard with it, but it's pretty undeniable that the standard of writing has fallen this season. The trade-off is having more huge bits of action ending episodes and some of those have been outstanding television, but there's no reason we couldn't have had the same amount of action in a 10 episode series rather than 7, allowing them time to properly establish the plot around the big set pieces. It would be a better programme for it.

Tbf it looked like it took Gendry a while to get to the Wall. It was light when he left and dusk when he arrived at the Wall. And by all accounts the Night King was actually getting pretty close to Eastwatch anyway. Plus, walking as a group, with the red shirts pulling sleds, they won't really have got that far.
As for the dragon rescue, we're never actually too sure of how long has passed, it was at least a night but could've been more, it's not like you would've wanted to be watching them just standing about freezing.

He quite clearly took out one that was still attacking. FFS guys.

Ha, I'm not fussed. Hitting the one in the air made for better scenes plus the obvious plus of keeping key characters alive.

Just found it odd that they kept drogon so clearly in his sights

55 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I'm with Carl Cort's Hamstring here. No one wants or needs an entire series of people travelling from A to B in order to be geographically accurate, but having people whizzing back and forth so much is damaging the suspension of disbelief. Not due to the travel speeds themselves, but because it goes in tandem with the plot also moving at a rapid pace and having events which would previously have been stretched out over three or four episodes crammed into one leads to bad writing, unclear motivations and characters making uncharacteristic decisions.

Fide, your point about it being fantasy meaning we should just go with it is exactly why this matters: anything with fantasy/supernatural elements is only going to hold up if the non-fantasy elements remain believable, meaning the dragons, resurrections and shit can slot into a believable storyline rather than contributing to an escalating spiral of ridiculousness. When you start ramping up the miracle escapes from death of main characters and people being uncharacteristically idiotic just to serve the plot, it removes that suspension of disbelief.

I'm fine with a faster pace if the writers can sustain a high standard with it, but it's pretty undeniable that the standard of writing has fallen this season. The trade-off is having more huge bits of action ending episodes and some of those have been outstanding television, but there's no reason we couldn't have had the same amount of action in a 10 episode series rather than 7, allowing them time to properly establish the plot around the big set pieces. It would be a better programme for it.

Good post.

Re. the episodes thing I think it's a budget issue. They actors are paid per episode and I think they needed much more CGI than usual.

2 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

...As for the dragon rescue, we're never actually too sure of how long has passed, it was at least a night but could've been more, it's not like you would've wanted to be watching them just standing about freezing.

They could have found a way to use Bran's warging and time travel abilities to get the message there quicker given ravens squawk out words sometimes, and Drogon could have been the initial target with Viserion hit by accident. A lot of what we are seeing at the moment is lazy writing focused more on the spectacle created than the overall plot and they don't care if a small percentage of book readers ask awkward questions. They only have seven more episodes now, so I think the wall finally has to come down in the next one as the series ending cliffhanger and the first few episodes of the next series will revolve around an increasingly desperate defence of Winterfell and Cersei's shenanigans to use the conflict in the north to her advantage.

My predictions are that Arya will take out Littlefinger and eventually off Cersei while pretending to be Jaime, Theon will rescue his sister and do something significant at sea to save Westeros in some way and will wind up ruling the Iron Islands, Sam will save Winterfell by taking Viserion out of the action with the horn he found at the Fist of the First Men (?) after reading something in a book, Bran will wind up with some Childern of the Forest again and will restore balance to the force or whatever after Jon and Danny sacrifice themselves in some noble sort of way to take out the Night King, Gendry Baratheon will be the first elected monarch of what is left of Westeros with Arya as his queen and Tyrion pulling the strings in something resembling a parliament as the wheel will have finally been broken, and Sam will turn out to be the narrator of the story for a LOTR type twist at the end. 

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Just seen someone on Facebook post about Dany's vision in the house of the undying back in season 2.

She walks towards the iron throne and just as it's within her grasp, she hears a dragon cry and turns away from it before eventually heading through the gate, beyond the wall. Basically exactly what happened in that episode

Passing up her chance to take the throne, giving cersei an armistice and chance to regroup while she focuses on the real issue north of the wall

1 minute ago, paul-r-cfc said:

She walks towards the iron throne and just as it's within her grasp, she hears a dragon cry and turns away from it before eventually heading through the gate, beyond the wall. Basically exactly what happened in that episode

Passing up her chance to take the throne, giving cersei an armistice and chance to regroup while she focuses on the real issue north of the wall

The House of the Undying, Maggie the Frog and Quaithe are all worth reviewing\rereading. So much so it can border on spoilers. 

The House of the Undying, Maggie the Frog and Quaithe are all worth reviewing\rereading. So much so it can border on spoilers. 

The only Maggie the frog thing that was mentioned on the show has come to pass with all 3 of Cersei's children being pan breed. The other major prediction she made wasn't mentioned in the show presumably because it would have been awkward to slot the valyrian in and too obvious were it to be said in English.

Still think it'll come to pass though and it would be shocking had you not read the books

31 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

The only Maggie the frog thing that was mentioned on the show has come to pass with all 3 of Cersei's children being pan breed. 

Not 4. 

Just 3 either Maggies wrong or....

Edited by dorlomin