Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

PPV in the house is a shite idea. If I am paying for it I want an enhanced experience. I wasnt advocating HBO fleecing fans to see the end. That would be rather crass. What I was suggesting was that putting it in the cinema which obviously comes with a cost to the fan, might afford them a budget to do it real justice. 

Budget is not an issue. A bunch of the actors are on £2m an episode.

Good ep! Much more enjoyed it than the last one. Casterley Rock and Highgarden taken in about 3 minutes each! Business is starting to pick up! Absolutely belting through everything, but fair enough, kind of unavoidable innit really

Dragonstone stuff was decent, mainly for Ser Davos. Jon seems to be rubbish at selling the threat of the Night King's army, it was the same when he came back to the Wall after Hardhome. Like maybe mention how quick they wiped out an entire town (or village or camp or whatever it was)? Tell them how scary they are not just "they're coming". Why does Varys want Melisandre to leave and never come back? Is it because of this?

and has her presence made him turn spy for the Lannisters? His anti-magic/Lord of Light stance is relevant, remember how he acted towards Kinvara.

King's Landing bits were very good, glad they went back to the debt stuff, had forgotten about that, also liked that they alluded to the fickleness of the general public, I did wonder about that. The scene in the dungeon was great I thought - obviously Cersei is a monster but she does have a point! Great work from both her and Ellaria (who didn't even have any proper lines!). Cersei is by far my favourite antagonist. Ramsey was poorly developed, he was just evil and all knowing, all powerful within Winterfell. I have a feeling Eurotrash will be similar. 

Wonder if Sam'll find something useful in those mouldy old scrolls? Greyscale looks quite easy to cure after all that. LOL at "I read the books and followed the instructions" that's your epitaph sorted then.

Really liked Jaime and Olenna's scene at the end but it did leave me with two questions: What was Dany and Tyrion's plan for house Tyrell and their army in episode 1? I don't remember it being 'stay at home and hope no armies turn up' but maybe it was. And who did Jaime think was responsible for Joffrey's murder before now? So much for Randyll Tarly's honourably support for house Tyrell. Also never thought I'd see Diana Rigg drop the c-bomb!

Proper, proper creepy when Bran started going on about how beautiful Sansa was the night she got raped by Ramsey. I liked it though, properly highlighted how batshit mental he would come across. I think the awkward thing was him trying to cleverly show how he's all-knowing but mucking it up by now being completely out of touch with humanity.  I hope he just starts warging into dragons soon. I wonder if the last Three Eyed Raven was as weird and callous? Not sure it's necessary to the position. I liked Sansa getting stuff done at Winterfell but ugh at Littlefinger following her everywhere. He was obviously making that advice up on the spot "Fight everyone all the time and look behind you and also in front of you and don't cross the streams and always be closing" Something is going to happen with them at Winterfell before anyone else arrives back i feel. Don't see the Winterfell story ending well this series.

I am wondering what (if) will happen with Dorne now? Presumably the army aren't still stood waiting for their lift but what do they do without a leader? Maybe the Greyjoy navy will be heading their next to take it.

Is Theon endgame? Why isn't he dead yet? The fact that he's still alive and picked up by allies surely means they Greyjoy civil war and Yara still have a role to play.

Feel like they found their edge again this episode. They got the nastiness and the humour mix right again.

The Tyrell army is on a convoluted march towards a key stronghold (possibly King's Landing itself) and Highgarden was left as bait to draw out the Lannister forces IMO. This is based on the fact that Cersei is notorious for being a useless strategic thinker, so staffing their stronghold with a skeleton crew of defenders and Olenna as a prize who wasn't going to survive the winter anyway would easily lead Cersei to make a costly misstep. 

It is also based on the fact that there'd otherwise be a fairly inexplicable plot hole, even if the southern armies (apart from Dorne) are gubbins at fighting. 

9 hours ago, virginton said:

The Tyrell army is on a convoluted march towards a key stronghold (possibly King's Landing itself) and Highgarden was left as bait to draw out the Lannister forces IMO. This is based on the fact that Cersei is notorious for being a useless strategic thinker, so staffing their stronghold with a skeleton crew of defenders and Olenna as a prize who wasn't going to survive the winter anyway would easily lead Cersei to make a costly misstep. 

It is also based on the fact that there'd otherwise be a fairly inexplicable plot hole, even if the southern armies (apart from Dorne) are gubbins at fighting. 

It might well be that the main Tyrell force was elsewhere, but I'd be surprised if Olenna was prepared to sacrifice Highgarden and its population.  I think Cersei has (well, her generals have) outwitted the opposition here.  It doesn't mean Cersei isn't in for a bloody nose in the next episode though.  The Lannisters won the battles in episode 3, but not the war.

10 hours ago, virginton said:

That makes sense in-world but I think having the Tyrell's repeat what the Lannisters did with Casterley Rock would be a weak plot twist from a storytelling point of view. Not saying you're wrong though, something has got to happen with that. I'm thinking maybe Theon and the surviving Greyjoys might launch some sort of surprise attack on KL, although I'm mostly basing this on a very brief clip in the ep4 trailer. 

What's the plot hole you refer to? I'm struggling to think what with all the moving around that's gone on. Also I'm a bit vague on how thinly spread out the Lannister army is right now - obviously they've got people knocking about in the south as per Sheeran's lot but e.g are some still at Riverrun or did they leave the Frey Bentoses in charge? What's happened to Edmure Tully? 

Also I think bait or not the Lannisters need control of Highgarden because around there is where all the food is.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Olenna was maybe so bent on revenge that the people of Highgarden and her own life were inconsequential.

I could see other, more emotional characters, going down that route but I don't think it fits with the characterisation of Olenna.  I think she's always been a "revenge is a dish best served cold" type of person.

10 minutes ago, Forfinn said:

I could see other, more emotional characters, going down that route but I don't think it fits with the characterisation of Olenna.  I think she's always been a "revenge is a dish best served cold" type of person.

That's precisely what she is doing: drawing the Lannister forces to her and Highgarden while fucking them elsewhere. Olenna doesn't even pretend to give a toss about the common people: there's plenty of dialogue demonstrating that. 

42 minutes ago, virginton said:

That's precisely what she is doing: drawing the Lannister forces to her and Highgarden while fucking them elsewhere.

Ok, let's say that's the case.  If so, wouldn't it make more sense to have Highgarden properly manned to hold out under siege?  By doing that they would tie the Lannister army in one place for longer, giving the rest of the Targaryen/Tyrell forces longer to hit elsewhere.  As it is, they appear to have been overwhelmed straight away, which will free the Lannister army up to head elsewhere now.

It was fairly glossed over in the show, but the defection of the Tarlys will have hit them hard too.  It's possible Highgarden was prepared for a siege, but the Tarlys switching sides maybe deprived them of forces.  I still think all this was a Lannister/Tarly masterstroke though, but that they'll see some reversals in episode 4.

14 hours ago, virginton said:

Spot on, plus im pretty sure that in the wake of the battle of Blackwater, Tyrell forces were used to replenish losses in the kingsguard. Who is to say that Olenna didn't have loyal troops waiting quietly in the kingsguard prepared to open gates or otherwise Sabotage KL in the event of such a battle? She clearly thought several steps ahead of everyone else and striked me as the "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer" kinda person. I can't see Olenna giving up her life so easily without a plan or two in motion to f**k them over.