Comic Book Movies (and TV Shows)

forehead7

It is definitely Groot on Drax's shoulder.

I'm getting less and less excited for Batman v Superman as time goes on. The movie's either going to be a complete mess or they've shown us everything in the trailers so I can't see much going for it. There's a lot of pressure on Snyder's shoulders but I think this actually suits him more than, for example, a standalone Batman movie. Everyone expects a CGI fest with very little character development or interesting plot from a movie like this.

Definitely agree - they titled it Superman vs Batman, then the trailer showed them teaming up! WTF was the point in that?

Also

[controversial statement]

Superman films are pretty shite on the whole. Even Batman won't save this.

[/controversial statement]

The original Superman films are utter shite. Never got why they're so revered. They're cheesy as f**k and make Superman out to be an utter moron, as well as a huge hypocrite.

The 05 one was alright (better than the originals) but suffered from a pretty poor plot. The last one was alright but dragged on for far too long and the finale was total garbage.

Superman is a wee fanny in general as a character. Batman however is the boy.

He's also a condescending, holier-than-thou, preachy shitebag.

He really is a relic from the 1930's. Every other comic book hero seems to have improved, or changed as time carried on, he's stuck in the past.

The original Superman films are utter shite. Never got why they're so revered. They're cheesy as f**k and make Superman out to be an utter moron, as well as a huge hypocrite.

The 05 one was alright (better than the originals) but suffered from a pretty poor plot. The last one was alright but dragged on for far too long and the finale was total garbage.

Superman is a wee fanny in general as a character. Batman however is the boy.

I remember loving them as a kid, but it just goes to show how low our expectations for superhero films were at the time. It's not really anyone's fault per se; more a reflection of the limitations of technology etc. I remember being on a ferry to Belgium in the early 80s and my dad told me Superman was showing in the cinema. I'd seen it already but was excited nonetheless. When we got to the cinema it turned out Superman wasn't on and Raiders of the Lost Ark was showing instead. I'd neither seen or heard of it so was a little disappointed. Even at that age, however (maybe 5 years old), I soon realised that Raiders was 100x better and more exciting. In fact, I might well have enjoyed that more than any other film since.

I guess the first really decently done comicbook movie would be Batman, and he's not a character that necessitates that many special effects, so all Tim Burton had to do was make things look suitably gothic and get together some half-decent leads. Watching the old Superman films nowadays is painful.

I don't think it's possible to make a good Superman film. He really is a product of his time and environment - the need to make him an all American hero, loyal to truth justice and the 'American way' means that he is constrained by his limitations.

In this modern age where characters such as Kick Ass and Deadpool are gaining prominence, Supes just seems like a parody of himself.

Edited by killienick

I don't think it's possible to make a good Superman film. He really is a product of his time and environment - the need to make him an all American hero, loyal to truth justice and the 'American way' means that he is constrained by his limitations.

In this modern age where characters such as Kick Ass and Deadpool are gaining prominence, Supes just seems like a parody of himself.

Even in the comic books, he is at his best against Darkseid, Doomsday, etc. The average Lex Luthor plot doesn't really offer any threat to him.

Batman is cool as f*ck though, as is his Rogue's Gallery, each one a different and viable threat.

You could potentially argue the same points about Captain America though

• 2 weeks later...

I can't fucking wait. I feel like a tit using spoilers for a trailer but f**k it:

I was really hoping they didn't reveal Spider-Man before the movie but that was a brilliant way to do it, in my opinion. His costume looks like it was lifted from the cartoons from years ago and it looks like they've used the same eye effect as was used with Deadpool.

I can't fucking wait. I feel like a tit using spoilers for a trailer but f**k it:

I was really hoping they didn't reveal Spider-Man before the movie but that was a brilliant way to do it, in my opinion. His costume looks like it was lifted from the cartoons from years ago and it looks like they've used the same eye effect as was used with Deadpool.

nevermind spiderman (i got the feeling he was shown at a really later point in the film, so wont be seen for long) how good did black panther look, and the possible fight between vision and scarlet witch and antman, what a fucking cast this is

also i thought crossbones was going to be in this, he was pictured on set at the start of filming in his outfit but not a sight of him in either trailer

nevermind spiderman (i got the feeling he was shown at a really later point in the film, so wont be seen for long) how good did black panther look, and the possible fight between vision and scarlet witch and antman, what a fucking cast this is

also i thought crossbones was going to be in this, he was pictured on set at the start of filming in his outfit but not a sight of him in either trailer

They've 100% shown him in the trailers (he was even in this one).

I don't think it's possible to make a good Superman film. He really is a product of his time and environment - the need to make him an all American hero, loyal to truth justice and the 'American way' means that he is constrained by his limitations.

They need to make him more like the guy in 'vs. The Elite' where he's more of git to the people that f**k with him. Like that guy he lobotomised with his heat vision.

Watched Batman: The Dark Knight Returns two-parter and it's fucking magic. Focuses on Batman ten years after he retired. Well worth a watch.

• 4 weeks later...