The Sopranos

yoda

The criticism I have of The Sopranos is that(so far) every series seems to follow the same main storyline. Tensions between Tony and one of his mafia members rise resulting in him being murdered in the finale. It already seems obvious half way through season four who will be clipped at the end of the series:

Ralph Cifaretto

also, whatever happened to

the hit they had out on Jonny Sack? You don't ever see or hear of it being cancelled by anyone, as far as I recall.

Overall, I probably like it more than the Wire although admittedly less is going on and it is less realistic with regards to the FBI continually investigating them.

The FBI continually investigating the mafia isn't unrealistic at all. Every single mafia family in the US is under constant pressure from the FBI, all the time.

The FBI continually investigating the mafia isn't unrealistic at all. Every single mafia family in the US is under constant pressure from the FBI, all the time.

Really? Is it cause of all the mob movies?

You'd think the FBIs priorities would change over time.

In the North East of the USA the Mafia, La Cosa Nostra, whatever you want to call them, are the major organised crime threat. The FBI regularly bust these families for labour racketeering, contract manipulation, bookmaking etc. I think the nature of the organisation means that the FBI are vigilant against them. Certainly in areas like New York, Boston, Chicago etc these organisations have proved relatively resiliant. Also, they have their colleagues in Italy who can help them - during the 1980s the Sicilian mafia exported billions of dollars worthof heroin to the US and the FBI mounted raids on both American and Sicilian mafioso a few years ago.

One massive factor in the mafia now is the illegalityof some forms of gambling. These bookies make millions of dollars on sports betting, the sort of thing that you can do on every single high street in Britain. Same with video poker - a Chicago mobster got 25 years in prison earlier this year for bombing a rival 'vending machine' company and his biker cohort got 60 years for this and other offences.

there are references as the seasons go on that the fbi is focussing less on the mafia and more on the war on terror.

but if anything is unrealistic it's how much shit they get away with, think of tony knocking the guy down outside the health centre in the very first episode or chris, paulie and the french waiter. i've not got a problem with that as it's neither a realist narrative nor a crime procedural so it doesn't matter.

• 2 weeks later...

there are references as the seasons go on that the fbi is focussing less on the mafia and more on the war on terror.

but if anything is unrealistic it's how much shit they get away with, think of tony knocking the guy down outside the health centre in the very first episode or chris, paulie and the french waiter. i've not got a problem with that as it's neither a realist narrative nor a crime procedural so it doesn't matter.

Yeah, I've heard it said that the level of violence is unrealistic. I think there are around 90 murders in the Sopranos, which covers the period from 1999-2007. The level of mafia killings in the US during the 2000s is far, far lower than that - 20-30 people killed in the entire United States during the 2000s. Link. These organised crime sites are full of pish but I can't find anything to significantly contradict the list there.

Im sure to get some red dots for this and several WTF comments. But i didnt like The Soprano's I watched most of the first season as id been told how amazing it was, maybe it gets better or its just been so overhyped, but i didnt see what all the fuss was about. Does it get better in season 2? or is it likely its just not my thing? I think the godfather is overated and i much prefer goodfellas aswell btw

Im sure to get some red dots for this and several WTF comments. But i didnt like The Soprano's I watched most of the first season as id been told how amazing it was, maybe it gets better or its just been so overhyped, but i didnt see what all the fuss was about. Does it get better in season 2? or is it likely its just not my thing? I think the godfather is overated and i much prefer goodfellas aswell btw

I can see where you are coming from. I'd recommend you give it another 13 episode's. If it doesn't catch your attention by them, then you are more than 1/2 way through, so carry on.

Are you watching back to back or weekly? I found back to back more fulfilling than weekly

• 2 months later...

I have to say I never watched a single episode of The Sopranos when it was first on but have sat through to Series 6 on Atlantic and every week I get more and more annoyed at having to wait a week to watch the next episode.

It is quality TV of the very highest order.

Will truly be sad to get to the end in a few weeks time.

• 3 months later...

Best Episode Ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCpUct0DM_Y

Paulie " He was an Interior decorator"

Christopher "His house looked like shit!"

:lol:

Yeah mine too, here's the full quote (from IMDB)

Tony Soprano: [over the phone] It's a bad connection so I'm gonna talk fast! The guy you're looking for is an ex-commando! He killed sixteen Chechen rebels single-handed!

Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: Get the f**k outta here.

Tony Soprano: Yeah. Nice, huh? He was with the Interior Ministry. Guy's like a Russian green beret. He can not come back and tell this story. You understand?

Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: I hear you.

[hangs up]

Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator.

Christopher Moltisanti: His house looked like shit.

Channel here in Oz is playing one episode every week night then repeating them all on a Sunday. I'm sad enough to actually watch them, even the repeats on Sunday. Have had to watch though as my 11mth old daughter's ears seem to p***k up when there is swearing. Which happens a lot!

• 2 weeks later...

Watched True Romance yesterday. Fantastic movie, haven't watched it in ages. You tend to forget how many good movies Gary Oldman has been in, even though he is one of my favourite actors.

One scene stuck out though, that I hadn't paid too much attention to before, the one with James Gandolfini in it. Now, if you ask me, the character of Tony Soprano might have been built around that scene.