The get fit, stay fit thread

There's a program on BBC 1 at half twelve (its on iPlayer as well) about an MMA fighter dropping 7kg in 19 hours for a weigh in. Its absolutely brutal and fighters have died doing it.

Yeah seen thay before,its pretty horrific for MMA as they have less weight categories I think? Really needs to be regulated more.

Its crazy that he lost that much weight and then probably put on about a stone and a half afterwards before the fight. He should have lost the weight at least a week earlier then his body might have been better conditioned to add even more weight after the weigh in

Its crazy that he lost that much weight and then probably put on about a stone and a half afterwards before the fight. He should have lost the weight at least a week earlier then his body might have been better conditioned to add even more weight after the weigh in

He aimed to put the 7kg back on to take him back to where he started. He had some checks done on enzymes and he was at risk from liver damage.

19 hours chewing gum and licking Ice cubes is the kind of madness my Mrs would do a day before we go on holiday.

If you lose it late then you can minimise any muscle and strength loss and then hopefully put it back on as quick as you lost it and hopefully give yourself a weight advantage in the fight by coming in substantially over the limit.

If you lose a stone over a week your final week of training will be substandard and you’d start losing muscle.

I’ve seen the documentary months ago and can’t remember the details but obviously if you take it too far then it has an negative impact.

On 22/10/2017 at 01:21, supermik said:

It's not as simple as that, they are losing weight with the sole intention of being as light as physically possible at the very second the scales balance in order to hit a weight limit, and then go back to their normal weight as quickly as they can. It's so you can fight in a weight class that's way below what you actually weigh at the time of the fight.

There's no time to actually gain weight (in the normal sense of the word) between the weigh-in and the fight, so the most effective way to do that? Completely dehydrate yourself until you're almost dead. Stay like that for any length of time and that's exactly what you are. To do that drastic drop and raise all in just a matter of days, it's just removing all the water from their body.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not read through the whole thread so don't know if this has been mentioned before, but does anyone have experience of 16:8 or 20:4 or even omad diets?

I'm currently bouncing between the first two and have lost about 10 lbs in the first 3 weeks. When I eat, I eat anything I want until full, normally between 4 and 8 ish, which is getting less and less as I go on.

I need to lose about 4 stone and this feels as easy as pish.

10 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

I've done 16:8 IF diet if that's what you mean?  Wasn't for me but a lot of people like it. 

Does it return more #gains than my Quavers diet.   Be honest, mate.  

I've not read through the whole thread so don't know if this has been mentioned before, but does anyone have experience of 16:8 or 20:4 or even omad diets?

I'm currently bouncing between the first two and have lost about 10 lbs in the first 3 weeks. When I eat, I eat anything I want until full, normally between 4 and 8 ish, which is getting less and less as I go on.

I've been on the decline for about 8-10 weeks now. In the later stages of my wife's pregnancy it was a case of me looking after her and us not getting to the gym very often. Eating went out the window too as our routine was a bit shambolic. Now that baby is here I think things are only going to continue in the same vain. No routine, convenience eating, no gym and no time to really do much in the way of exercise especially in these first few weeks. Any parents or new parents have any advice for trying to get back on track? Is it just a case of sacrificing the first 6-8 weeks until things start to settle into a more structured routine? Both my wife and I have fairly good diets and enjoy healthy eating but it is the exercise thing that will probably suffer the most. 

On 11/3/2017 at 21:10, Tony Ferrino said:

I was borderline keeping myself to about 16:8 on nightshift. It just made things easier eating twice a day. The trick is to use up your carb reserves over the 16 hours, sometimes a walk, light run or swim helps the process. Do not do anything too intense when in the fast; after the first meal or after your 8 hour period is recommended. By then your pancreas is relaxed and not secreeting insulin, which breaks down the glucose from carbs. Once they've been used up, this means the insulin is off* that you'll be burning nothing but fat. What you've got to worry about is the 16 hours inbetween and trying not to break the fast. Tea is fine, black coffee is fine, but any kind of sugar will break the fast and turn on the insulin tap. I'd say don't go on the 20:4 too soon as it's too extreme when you're starting out.

I wouldn't say I'm 16:8 per se, and days out on the bevy send me all over the shop, but I definitely feel better eating as much as I'd usually like inside the 8-9 hour period rather than cutting the calories down. I don't eat breakfast at all anymore, and just go with lunch and dinner. 

Thomas DeLauer videos are pretty good at explaining intermittent fasting if you can bypass the 'look at my incredible body' type shots.

*This is why Diet coke/Irn Brus are bad for you on an empty stomach, because you're tricking your body into thinking it's time to secreet insulin even though there is no sugar to break down.

EDIT: Make sure you're first meal is the healthy one when breaking the fast. You're muscles will be more sensitive with absorbing whatever meal you're having, so the less shite the better.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

39 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I've been on the decline for about 8-10 weeks now. In the later stages of my wife's pregnancy it was a case of me looking after her and us not getting to the gym very often. Eating went out the window too as our routine was a bit shambolic. Now that baby is here I think things are only going to continue in the same vain. No routine, convenience eating, no gym and no time to really do much in the way of exercise especially in these first few weeks. Any parents or new parents have any advice for trying to get back on track? Is it just a case of sacrificing the first 6-8 weeks until things start to settle into a more structured routine? Both my wife and I have fairly good diets and enjoy healthy eating but it is the exercise thing that will probably suffer the most. 

You can't fight mother nature. Men have a big drop in testosterone when a baby is about to come along. Think it's nature's way of making you more gentle and therefore better around the baby. When mine came along I started cycling instead of taking the car/train. Didn't  eat into my family responsibility time and was good for fitness. 

2 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Wouldn't worry about it if I were you, a new child's a bit more important.  Have a look at the Ross Enamait book Never Gymless, it's full of exercises/routines you can do at home and if possible try to get to a gym once a week to squat, that's one exercise that's hard to replicate at home.

3 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

You can't fight mother nature. Men have a big drop in testosterone when a baby is about to come along. Think it's nature's way of making you more gentle and therefore better around the baby. When mine came along I started cycling instead of taking the car/train. Didn't  eat into my family responsibility time and was good for fitness. 

2 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Wouldn't worry about it if I were you, a new child's a bit more important.  Have a look at the Ross Enamait book Never Gymless, it's full of exercises/routines you can do at home and if possible try to get to a gym once a week to squat, that's one exercise that's hard to replicate at home.

Cheers for the advice. Making sure baby is looked after (and mum) is definitely number one priority but long term I'd love to be in the best shape possible so that I can enjoy my son to a maximum (and teach him good habits as he gets older). We've actually got a few things in the house that my wife bought as she started to avoid the gym so we have a stability ball, resistance bands, a bench and some weights so it will just be a case of trying to look at f ew routines and see what fits best. 

I had an asthma attack last month so have been wary of doing much running so I've started weight-lifting a few times a week, sticking to squat, bench and deadlift at the moment.  I'm doing deadlifts on every gym visit and alternating squats and bench press, although seeing how it goes I'll start doing all three exercises three times a week.

Only worry is because I'm doing deadlifts every day I'm lifting a lot more weight on them than I am on squats.  I also have a bit of a sore knee and am worried I'll squat down and it'll ping off.

ETA - My wife is due in February so I'll probably have similar issues to stumigoo.  I'm thinking of joining a gym near my work so I can workout at lunchtime rather than try and fit in during evenings/after work.

Edited by ICTChris