The get fit, stay fit thread

Has anyone used Crossfit classes or carried out the Crosfit programme? If so would you recommend it? 

I did crossfit classes for a little bit. I stopped as to be honest I didn't like the whole lifestyle thing.

I think a lot of it depends where you go to do it but the place I went to seemed to be about assimilating your whole life into it and was bragging about how you'd want to give up all other hobbies and just do cross-fit. They were also big into clean eating (the full spiralised courgette works) which also seemed a step too far.

To be fair though, that kind of stuff suits some people and they thrive on the competitive aspect of it so it's maybe one of those things that you have to try and see how it goes.

Crossfit is a pile of utter cock. The guys running the gyms/classes have poor qualifications and aren't going to teach you good form. It also attracts the biggest bunch of douches to it. The type that instragrams their paleo diet and has a top knot.

Can view plenty of stuff on Infinite Elgintensity's YouTube channel ripping Crossfit too shreds.

49 minutes ago, mrcat1990 said:

douches

You occasionally see people trying to sneak Americanisms into the modern day vernacular, but this example is simply unacceptable. Utterly sickening.

• 3 weeks later...

2 stone 6lbs in 9 weeks is pretty good going, keep it up.

Not sad at all, IMO. I found having small objectives all the way down to be a great way of keeping the incentive while also having a sense of achievement each time I met one of them. When it all comes down to it, it's about whatever works for you motivation-wise though.

Been taking steps last few months to start getting healthier again. Used family issues and holidays as an excuse to stop over winter ("start again Monday") and got close to 14st again. Started using myfitness pal again and have decided to keep using it regardless as means I'm not kidding myself as to what I'm eating. Lost 8lbs again since new year and hoping to get back below 13st. Weather will hopefully encourage a bit more exercise now too. I played 45 minutes at right mid a couple of weeks ago and thought I was going to die.

Would echo Spain's sentiments above about giving yourself that feeling of achievement when starting out. I'd also suggest being honest about what you can change and stick to long term.

Bang on one year until I get married and I'm weighing 14 stone 8.  Target is to basically shift the excess fat and get rid of my moobs before the big day.

Been going to the gym this week for the first time and fairly enjoying it so far.  Mainly treadmill and rowing machine so far with a bit of cross trainer as well.  My biggest failing is crisps.  I'm sitting at work just now craving a bag of crisps! Thankfully I made the decision to leave my wallet at home and bring an orange with me instead...

I've literally no idea if I'm doing a good job at the gym.  Tend to only be there for about an hour a night so mix what I'm doing every 15/20 minutes.  This a good idea?

5 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

Bang on one year until I get married and I'm weighing 14 stone 8.  Target is to basically shift the excess fat and get rid of my moobs before the big day.

Been going to the gym this week for the first time and fairly enjoying it so far.  Mainly treadmill and rowing machine so far with a bit of cross trainer as well.  My biggest failing is crisps.  I'm sitting at work just now craving a bag of crisps! Thankfully I made the decision to leave my wallet at home and bring an orange with me instead...

I've literally no idea if I'm doing a good job at the gym.  Tend to only be there for about an hour a night so mix what I'm doing every 15/20 minutes.  This a good idea?

80% diet, 20% gym 

You can hammer the gym all you want but if you're not eating relevant to your gym program you won't see the differences you want or as quickly as you want.

There are loads of programs online or get a PT down the gym to sort you out.

FWIW, I left it to the last minute before getting into shape before my wedding. I basically starved myself and trained hard for the month before it. Good results but not recommended. 

3 hours ago, nelsjfc said:

For the first time in my life, I went out for a run today. Lasted 20 minutes, did 3km and think I might now be on death's door.

Best cancel everything on Saturday.

Had been off the gym since July 2015 when I started a new job. Before that I was in decent shape and had been working out for about 18 months on and off.

In January I decided enough was enough at 14 stone 4 and I got myself back into the gym. Done 4 weeks of 4 days full body workouts in January to get myself back into the swing of things. in February I started a 4 days split: back/bis, chest/tris, legs, shoulders - with rest days wed, sat, sun (golf on Saturday counts as rest).

Planning on doing this programme until the end of April, as I'm seeing some decent results. Lifts getting heavier and maintaining form. A friend asked me to film my deadlifts and even I was surprised at the form - just need to sink my hips a little lower.

Then I'm going to start jim stoppani shortcut to shred from the second week in May to July (going on holiday on the 1st). Will struggle to stick strictly to the diet in that programme but will give it my best shot - struggle at work on low carb days. Going to split it over 7 weeks as I think I'll struggle to make the gym 6 days a week so will take the total 36 workouts and split them over 7 weeks.

Currently trying to get around 230g of protein a day to help build muscle, 2 tins of tuna at lunch helps a long way. But needing to split my meals out into having 2 lunches rather than all at once - again not always possible with meetings etc.

Feel like I'm getting there but enjoy my weekends too much, which does halt progress a little.

Been overdoing it lately tbh.

Been going to gym almost every day for the last 3 weeks doing cardio ( mainly Wattbike) and low weights with high reps, plus all my cycling.

Despite being given advice to do so  , not been taking enough rest days to let my body recover, so feel totally fucked now .

Lesson learnt !

11 hours ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Had been off the gym since July 2015 when I started a new job. Before that I was in decent shape and had been working out for about 18 months on and off.

In January I decided enough was enough at 14 stone 4 and I got myself back into the gym. Done 4 weeks of 4 days full body workouts in January to get myself back into the swing of things. in February I started a 4 days split: back/bis, chest/tris, legs, shoulders - with rest days wed, sat, sun (golf on Saturday counts as rest).

Planning on doing this programme until the end of April, as I'm seeing some decent results. Lifts getting heavier and maintaining form. A friend asked me to film my deadlifts and even I was surprised at the form - just need to sink my hips a little lower.

Then I'm going to start jim stoppani shortcut to shred from the second week in May to July (going on holiday on the 1st). Will struggle to stick strictly to the diet in that programme but will give it my best shot - struggle at work on low carb days. Going to split it over 7 weeks as I think I'll struggle to make the gym 6 days a week so will take the total 36 workouts and split them over 7 weeks.

Currently trying to get around 230g of protein a day to help build muscle, 2 tins of tuna at lunch helps a long way. But needing to split my meals out into having 2 lunches rather than all at once - again not always possible with meetings etc.

Feel like I'm getting there but enjoy my weekends too much, which does halt progress a little.

Don't worry about number of meals a day it's the overall daily macro intake that's important.