The get fit, stay fit thread

I've been reading this thread a bit and started doing a few heavier weight things. Eg squats, bench press. Surprising how quickly you can up the weights. I was worried about it bulking me up more but it's definitely making me leaner. You can feel the calories burning off you. 

Decided to make a real effort at this. Have been on and off in the gym for a while but not really committed to it. I've also done very little to change my diet, which is what lets me down big time.
Have begun to do more weight training and upping the cardio and I have noticed minor but encouraging improvements. What I really need though, is advice on what to be eating instead of the usual crap. Also, what do you use of motivation on those days when you just cannot be fucked?

Getting started is the hardest part and you just have to realise that, once you've got that into your head you'll know that as soon as you're a few minutes into it you'll feel class again.

I done 207 sessions last year (I kept note, Deeboy will hate this if he's reading) and I couldn't be fucked to start with on atleast half of them I'd say.

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I have no time for weights anymore, but I did a good year of 5x5s a while back having not lifted a weight for years previously and make rapid progress to quite heavy weights, also really enjoyed it. Would recommend it.

I also did 5x5 for about a year when I first got into going to the gym. IMO it's the best program for beginnners to gain strength on practice in lifts although doing almost any weight training as a beginner will get results if done correctly.

I've done the rounds of all the different kinds of lifting weights. Started with strength training, moved into a more bodybuilding style (which I didn't really enjoy), then went to powerlifting which I did for about 3 years and in the last couple of months have decided to take up olympic weightlifting.

It's a completely different mentality from what I'm used to. A lot of practicing technique rather than trying to push max weights. As someone who had never done a clean in his life, it took a bit of getting used to. Really enjoying it though and am already noticing my quads and upper back have seen improvement.

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I have no time for weights anymore, but I did a good year of 5x5s a while back having not lifted a weight for years previously and make rapid progress to quite heavy weights, also really enjoyed it. Would recommend it.

I've got the 5x5 app on my phone but have never even opened it. Will try and have a look. 

5x5 is good but a very rigid routine imo and doesn't allow much versatility like 531 which I much prefer.  Good to make you realise that heavy compound work is all you need so squat, dead, bench, military press and row instead of all the bodybuilder crap like preacher curls and tricep kickbacks (which I've done loads of in the past).  I used the principles of of 5x5 when creating my 531 routine.

8 minutes ago, Kool Keith said:

5x5 is good but a very rigid routine imo and doesn't allow much versatility like 531 which I much prefer.  Good to make you realise that heavy compound work is all you need so squat, dead, bench, military press and row instead of all the bodybuilder crap like preacher curls and tricep kickbacks (which I've done loads of in the past).  I used the principles of of 5x5 when creating my 531 routine.

I did 5-3-1 for pretty much a year and a half and made unreal progress, particularly in the squat. The best program I've done for sure however I think 5x5 is a good starter to get used to the lifts and then to move on to 5-3-1 is a good progression.

I like being able to mix up the exercises more in 531 and if you miss a session it's no big deal whereas I think it's more of an issue with 5x5.  I like the flexibilty of 531 with the idea of only doing the main lift and no assistance work if you're in a real rush or tired/ill.

5x5 is great for beginners with it's focus on the main exercises performed correctly.  Always recommend it as a starting point with Starting Strength.

Edited by Kool Keith

Decided to make a real effort at this. Have been on and off in the gym for a while but not really committed to it. I've also done very little to change my diet, which is what lets me down big time.
Have begun to do more weight training and upping the cardio and I have noticed minor but encouraging improvements. What I really need though, is advice on what to be eating instead of the usual crap. Also, what do you use of motivation on those days when you just cannot be fucked?

Just force yourself as consistency is the key. When you see progress it acts as a motivator. Take a diary and record your workouts. Try and set goals before work outs to hit and targets for the medium term you want to be able to achieve.

Have a plan in your diary - make it part of your routine. Nobody comes out the gym having regretted going even if you only do a half hearted work out it's better than sitting on your hoop.

Just completed the Smolov Jr squat routine - holy f**k.

The Smolov routine is basically a 13 week programme of squatting 4 times a week with heavy weights. Smolov Jr. is the same idea but is only over 3 weeks. Even that was tough so f**k doing the full programme.

I've done strength training for a while but my squat had plateaued big time. Have been deloading this week to give myself a bit of a rest but will be testing my 1 rep max next week so if there's any improvement then the 3 weeks of hell will have been worth it!

2 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

Just completed the Smolov Jr squat routine - holy f**k.

The Smolov routine is basically a 13 week programme of squatting 4 times a week with heavy weights. Smolov Jr. is the same idea but is only over 3 weeks. Even that was tough so f**k doing the full programme.

I've done strength training for a while but my squat had plateaued big time. Have been deloading this week to give myself a bit of a rest but will be testing my 1 rep max next week so if there's any improvement then the 3 weeks of hell will have been worth it!

I remember doing that a few years back, it is insane. I remember about 5 sets in to the 10x3 day just thinking, why would anyone willingly do this. I think a big criticism of programs like this is that you may add 10kg+ to your 1RM, but the gains don't retain very well when you return to a normal workout pattern. Interested to see what you got out of it though

Well, my month of clean eating and exercise worked a treat. In total I lost 17lbs. Which shows me just how lazy I had become because I don't feel like I changed a lot. Giving up alcohol was the big change but the only time I missed it was after the winter break, I was listening to OAM and thought a few cans would go down a treat. But I resisted. All the other changes weren't a great hardship and I started to really enjoy exercising. A lot of the workouts Ive been doing involve weights but I tried to shake it up so I wasn't doing the same things all the time. There's a steep country road near my house so I use that to do sprints too. It was tough to begin with but it's getting easier which is a great feeling when you know you're improving. One thing I noticed yesterday was I'm getting some serious calf definition. That was really unintentional. My main goal was to lose fat and build more muscle in my arms. Seeing results is definitely the best motivation though. I'm going to keep going with it although I don't think I'm going to focus on the scales too much now.

Thanks to everyone on here who has given me advice! It's been a great help for me.

Weight loss will slow down after big losses at the start. The hard bit is keeping motivated when the gains/lossses aren't noticeable on a weekly basis but only noticeable on a monthly or even yearly basis.

There will be weeks you stay the same or even put weight on- even when you've done nothing wrong but as along as the overall trend is one of progress then you're getting there.

Consistency is the key- making it a habit and continually setting short, medium and longer term goals to aspire to that keep you on track.

Don't need to give up drink and junk food either as long as you can consume when planned. A diet only works if you can stick to it long term and everybody needs a treat.

I start a 12 week fitness challenge competition tomorrow. You get a weekly diet and fitness plan complete with shopping list and what to eat over the course of the week. The exercise and diet plans change after every 4 week phase.

There are 4 levels:

Lean - Beginner

Lean - Intermediate 

Mass - Beginner

Mass - Intermediate

I'm doing the lean intermediate but I can get access to all the plans.

I paid money for it but if anyone's struggling to get motivated or sticking to a regime then I'm happy to pm them the plans for whatever challenge they want. 

Eta: Update - Day 1 completed. I am not going to be able to walk tomorrow.

Edited by Dee Man

23 hours ago, K.T said:

Well, my month of clean eating and exercise worked a treat. In total I lost 17lbs. Which shows me just how lazy I had become because I don't feel like I changed a lot. Giving up alcohol was the big change but the only time I missed it was after the winter break, I was listening to OAM and thought a few cans would go down a treat. But I resisted. All the other changes weren't a great hardship and I started to really enjoy exercising. A lot of the workouts Ive been doing involve weights but I tried to shake it up so I wasn't doing the same things all the time. There's a steep country road near my house so I use that to do sprints too. It was tough to begin with but it's getting easier which is a great feeling when you know you're improving. One thing I noticed yesterday was I'm getting some serious calf definition. That was really unintentional. My main goal was to lose fat and build more muscle in my arms. Seeing results is definitely the best motivation though. I'm going to keep going with it although I don't think I'm going to focus on the scales too much now.

Thanks to everyone on here who has given me advice! It's been a great help for me.

Used to do hill sprints a lot. Try keeping close to the hiit idea of 20 secs at 100% followed by 1 min 40 jog back to the original point, ten times. Great for fitness. 

Before Christmas, my wife and I started doing one of these HIITs things online.  Fitness Blender it's called.  30 minute workouts that are on YouTube.  You can pay a minimal amount and they set up a plan for you, but I believe that you can get them all for free.

We were doing it once the kids were in bed and before dinner and I lost about 7 or 8lbs.  Christmas got in the way and we stopped and we've been getting some work done in the house and the sitting room has been a bit of a mess, but we're hoping to get back on it tonight.

The lassie in the videos in an absolute wid as well, so that helps.

I do a Joe Wicks Hiit work out 4 times a week with 40 second exercises and 20 second rest its a good work out although the second round of burpies are fucking murder. 

My Mrs is doing his 90 day challenge but i really don't believe you need to pay anyone anything for you to get into shape.