The get fit, stay fit thread

On 11/05/2018 at 13:13, ah-dee said:
On 10/05/2018 at 15:11, WullieBroonIsGod said:
If you are counting cals/macros (I obsess over it on myfitnesspal) then you can save a couple of hundred for later at night.  I try and make sure I've eaten my protein target and at least 25g fibre, and have some spare for a wee munch watching tv/playing playstation at night.
When you know it's fitting in your calories and macros it doesn't feel like a cheat.  If I dont have the cals left I'm a bit pissed off but it makes me plan the following day so i can get a treat the following night.

i downloaded myfitnesspal last week and think its brilliant. you are correct about becoming obsessed with it but such a handy tool to have. have you tried any of the meal ideas? some of them are awesome and would highly recommend the bell pepper nachos.

You don't need to plan it all out really.

Just cut out sugar as much as possible (get it as close to zero as you can) and avoid stuff like crisps or toast. Empty carby calories needs to be cut out too.

Just over 3 months since I started at the gym and still managing 2/3 times a week without feeling like I can't be fucked at any point or showing signs of losing interest. Still roughly the same routine, working the major muscle groups with relatively light weights, 3 sets of 10 and increasing the weight with each set. Body shape has changed a bit, partly due to losing 5kg since starting(1.5kg was helped by a week loaded with bad aids and couldn't eat solids...) but now starting to notice the muscle definition coming in, particularly my chest and legs when compared to before.
Also started running again recently. Much shorter than previously(3/4 years back I would think nothing of running 15-20km 2 or 3 times a week, now happy with 3/4km a couple of times at most) but rather than a constant pace I am now doing some variation of Fartlek with a slow jog interspersed with short sprints. Fair fucking knackers me but I'm feeling good for it.

You should mix it up. Work in three week rotations

Week 1 - high weights, low reps. 4 working sets of 8-10

Week 2 - medium weight medium reps. 4 sets of 12-15

Week 3 (horrific) - low weights high reps. 4 sets of 20 and above. Add in triple drop sets. Its a killer.

You will notice a big difference in your strength

4 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:
7 hours ago, Aufc said:

Week 3 (horrific) - low weights high reps. 4 sets of 20 and above. Add in triple drop sets. Its a killer.

Why 4 sets? Max I've ever done is 3 and even then its tough going

You'd need to drop the weight if you're going to do 4 sets. Your perfect weight will have you struggling, but managing, to push out the last few reps on your final set. 

I can't get to 10 if I'm doing my max weight. I go for 8 reps on first one when doing max and the next 2 sets just depends

Yeah that it is meant for. But just doing that consistently in the gym will result in reaching a plateau.

You probably plateau because you're not making progress if you're just hitting a rep count, you need rep ranges. I generally stick to 3 sets of 4-6 reps, or 3 sets of 8-10 reps depending on what I'm doing/aiming for. If you can hit the top number in all 3 sets (ie 6 or 10) then go up a small amount of weight next time and keep getting those reps up every week until you max out the rep number again. My strength has skyrocketed since I've started using those principles. Although I do plan on upping those rep ranges to concentrate on a bit more size next.

For dumbbells I started at 12.5kg and now I'm on 20kg per arm. I've still got more in me to lift heavier haha

Please don’t take this the wrong way but I would question your form here. I like to think I am quite strong and I would not be able to curl this weight with proper form. Try it standing against a wall and see how you get on. Sorry if that sounds arsey but see lots of people in the gym lifting heavy weights but not keeping their elbows in and using their back.

You probably plateau because you're not making progress if you're just hitting a rep count, you need rep ranges. I generally stick to 3 sets of 4-6 reps, or 3 sets of 8-10 reps depending on what I'm doing/aiming for. If you can hit the top number in all 3 sets (ie 6 or 10) then go up a small amount of weight next time and keep getting those reps up every week until you max out the rep number again. My strength has skyrocketed since I've started using those principles. Although I do plan on upping those rep ranges to concentrate on a bit more size next.

I have actually found that my strength has increased significantly since i started doing weighted pull ups/dips.

10 hours ago, Aufc said:

I'll be honest, I'm not massively bothered about increasing my strength too much more. If I can get another 10-15% I'll be delighted and I reckon I will manage that with what I am doing. I managed 7 chin ups the other night and 2 pull ups. If and when I can manage 10 of both I will be 100% satisfied that I am where I want to be...

38 minutes ago, Spain said:

Should have quoted this with the last reply also, but above is essentially what I am doing. Whenever I hit 3x10 with relative comfort I add 2.5kg onto each set.

Came back from a short break at the end of March weighing 14st 3.8lb.

Been doing a lot of walking, a fair bit of running and cut out a lot of nonsense from my diet. This morning at my weigh-in I was 12st 13.0lb. Nearly 19 pounds lost in 7 weeks. Delighted with that.

Started running round a local park in the morning while the dog larks about. The perimeter is about 1k. Did 3 laps one morning, 4 the next, 5 the next and just 5 again this morning as was out last night and a bit ruff todayu. Told the missus, thinking she'd be pleased and she just said "people will think you're a paedo".

24 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Started running round a local park in the morning while the dog larks about. The perimeter is about 1k. Did 3 laps one morning, 4 the next, 5 the next and just 5 again this morning as was out last night and a bit ruff todayu. Told the missus, thinking she'd be pleased and she just said "people will think you're a paedo".

She's got you pegged.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm giving this fitness malarkey a bash...

I'm 5ft 10", 29 years old, since I started at my work six years ago, met the wife and got married, the weight has pilled on us both. I was 16/16.5 stone back then, so I was still overweight but got away with it.

I've tried various things in the past, gyms, personal training, Herbalife... but always struggled to stick to it. Became a manager about a year and a half ago and got into a vicious circle of constantly working, heavily drinking at the weekend, on and on. I felt constantly switched on about work and didn't make any time for anything other than a good swally and the football.

I've started at the David Lloyd a few weeks ago. I was 20 stone 12lbs, and today I'm down to 20 stone 2lbs. I'm really enjoying the DL club, expensive, but there's plenty of space so I don't feel uncomfortable next to anyone like I have done in the budget gyms in the past. They also have an outdoor and indoor swimming pool. I prefer the outdoor, as the indoor feels quite enclosed.

I've been using the MyFitnessPal app to monitor what I eat. It is brilliant, not just for monitoring calories, but it's really enlightening for things like saturated fat etc, it's made me a lot more conscious of what I'm eating.

I've walked home twice, which is six miles and I burn just over 1000 calories doing that. The first time was brutal, but second time was much easier. I'm going to try and do this twice a week whilst the weather is nice.

I've been doing Gym/Swimming, generally 3/4 times a week, but it varies what days I do it on. This week I'm trying to plan it in more as opposed to just going.

Gym wise I'm doing 40 minutes of cardio between bike and cross trainer. I hate running with a passion. I want to get using the rowing machine but it's a bit difficult with my weight at the moment, and is really sore on my back, I'm sure I'll build back up to that. I loved the rowing machine when I was a regular at the gym in my teenage years. There's a boxing bag as well I fancy hitting.

I've done some weights a few times but only when I've had a free day to do gym and swimming, generally at the weekends. Trying to just focus on cardio at the minute - unless I should be making sure I factor in some weights? Just really doing it to mix it up a bit so I don't get bored.

Swimming I'm up at 30 lengths, I'm just trying to increase this each time. Generally takes me about half an hour to do that, so if I get up to about 60, and an hour I'll be happy.

Sorry for the long winded post, but seems like an ideal place to keep note of my progress, and hopefully keep me motivated. Feel free to give me a kick up the arse when required, and any tips are welcome.

It's the football season starting again that I'm dreading it going tits up!

40 minutes ago, Tam M said:

Gym wise I'm doing 40 minutes of cardio between bike and cross trainer. I hate running with a passion. I want to get using the rowing machine but it's a bit difficult with my weight at the moment, and is really sore on my back, I'm sure I'll build back up to that. I loved the rowing machine when I was a regular at the gym in my teenage years. There's a boxing bag as well I fancy hitting.

I've done some weights a few times but only when I've had a free day to do gym and swimming, generally at the weekends. Trying to just focus on cardio at the minute - unless I should be making sure I factor in some weights? Just really doing it to mix it up a bit so I don't get bored.

Swimming I'm up at 30 lengths, I'm just trying to increase this each time. Generally takes me about half an hour to do that, so if I get up to about 60, and an hour I'll be happy.

First up what ever works for you personally is the best thing you can do, no point doing something that makes you unhappy, you will quit it soonish.

But if you are looking to maximise your gains then some hints I can offer. In terms of cardio there are two main types:

LISS Low Intensity Steady State and HIIT, Hit Intensity Interval Training. The former is jumping on some cardio machine, bike or so on and knocking out a steady rate of work for 30 minutes plus. The later is a series of very short intense periods of effort with rest between them. You will generally use more calories in the former but if done properly your will build stamina much quicker with the later. A mix of both will work best in the long term for weight loss and general conditioning.  To get a proper HIIT session (and not the silly souped up school games type things they sell at gyms as "HIIT sessions") you should be looking at something like Fartlek (you are probably not in a state to try out Tabata yet). So the aim here is after about 10 minutes of warm up you have short pushes up to 4 minutes of near maximum effort then a rest of about 3 minutes where you are at about 50% effort. You do not jump onto a machine and do this tomorrow, pick something you are comfortable with and give yourself a 10 minute warm up then about 20 minutes of so much intensity you are fucked at the end of it and have little more to give. Then with that base established you go every couple of days and start by giving it bursts of one minute 90% effort then something like 4 minutes at the base effort level you established and repeat for your 20 minutes of effort. Build that out so you nailing it maximum slowly grows to being cycles of 4 minutes near max and 3 minutes of base effort for your 20 minutes. 

That will massively improve your cardio so your LISS for swimming, cross trainers etc will be able to be held at much higher intensities thus  burn more calories. 

And the endorphin kick is sweet. 

Walking rather than running is 100% from me. Far far less pressure on the joints and body as you always have your weight on one foot when walking while running you are off the ground and slamming your body weight through your joints. You can get a pretty big calorie burn from a serious bit of walking. 

I do strongly recommend some weight training if you can, its good for your all round health to have the muscle and tendons on your frame, in the medium term the more of your body mass is muscle, then the less will be subcutaneous fat. A bit of muscle feels good on the body and helps encourage you back to the gym. 

But the no 1 thing to do is keep swimming. If you are looking to lose weight and gain fitness its the best thing in the world.

In terms of food look to go high fibre, high protein as much as you can.  Those kind of foods will leave you feeling fullest for longest. They will also improve your insulin resistance and reduce your blood cholesterol. 

Bit long but if you need more advice just shout and hopefully some others will pick up some useful tips.

Not sure if it’s the right thread for it but I have been doing a lot of walking recently to try and keep fit. I’ve been getting the odd blister so have been putting plasters on but one of the blisters was particularly bad so I stuck one of the comped plasters on but when I took it off it’s lifted a layer of the skin off leaving my foot in a right state. 

Not sure if I’m wearing the most suitable footwear. I’m wearing a pair of Nike light wear shoes which while they are really comfy they don’t offer much support and when I was born I had a turned it foot which has since been fixed but I feel my foot still turns in slightly in these trainers.

So my questions, what should I be putting on my foot when going out to prevent further damage? I was thinking a bandage but not sure. Also what would be the most appropriate footwear. When is the house I am trying to sit with my socks off to allow my foot to heal as quick as possible. 

• 4 weeks later...

Been at the gym most mornings before work and swimming most nights after work for about 8 weeks now, I wouldn't say I've been hitting it hard until this week when I started to look into supplements and different styles of workouts. At  the moment I'm aiming to cut my body fat, so I've started to do weight training (various exercises 8-10 reps) followed by HIIT for around 20-30 minutes, really looking forward to seeing the results.  Are there any decent exercises I can add into my HIIT sessions to vary things up a little, at the moment I'm on the treadmill with a sprint for 1 minute and 30 seconds at  lower pace, repeated 4-5 times. I then go to the rowing machine and max out for 20 seconds and rest for 10 seconds, I enjoy doing weighted steps for the same intervals as the rowing machine. I attempt to do press ups for 20 seconds and resting for 10 seconds but thats not going as well as the others. To finish off I then move onto some core exercises with the same intervals as above.  

Been at the gym most mornings before work and swimming most nights after work for about 8 weeks now, I wouldn't say I've been hitting it hard until this week when I started to look into supplements and different styles of workouts. At  the moment I'm aiming to cut my body fat, so I've started to do weight training (various exercises 8-10 reps) followed by HIIT for around 20-30 minutes, really looking forward to seeing the results.  Are there any decent exercises I can add into my HIIT sessions to vary things up a little, at the moment I'm on the treadmill with a sprint for 1 minute and 30 seconds at  lower pace, repeated 4-5 times. I then go to the rowing machine and max out for 20 seconds and rest for 10 seconds, I enjoy doing weighted steps for the same intervals as the rowing machine. I attempt to do press ups for 20 seconds and resting for 10 seconds but thats not going as well as the others. To finish off I then move onto some core exercises with the same intervals as above.  

Why not do your HIIT outside. The weather is ridiculous. Might make it slightly more interesting