The get fit, stay fit thread

12 minutes ago, Aufc said:

You are getting too caught up with weight. If you had not lost weight last night then you would have been demoralised. Focus on body fat and how you look and generally feel

Was going to say something similar earlier but didn't bother. You and Mallo sound like you're puting a lot of pressure on yourselves depending on what the scales say at the next weigh in. Seems like you're building yourself up to fail a bit. It's ok for a quick push before a wedding or holiday etc but not sustainable long term imo. 

I'm no expert but would be happy to help out if it's something you're interested in doing long term. Getting fitter/stronger/leaner etc doesn't have to be the arduous experience a lot of people expect. It's about working out what's best for your circumstances. 

16 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Was going to say something similar earlier but didn't bother. You and Mallo sound like you're puting a lot of pressure on yourselves depending on what the scales say at the next weigh in. Seems like you're building yourself up to fail a bit. It's ok for a quick push before a wedding or holiday etc but not sustainable long term imo. 

I'm no expert but would be happy to help out if it's something you're interested in doing long term. Getting fitter/stronger/leaner etc doesn't have to be the arduous experience a lot of people expect. It's about working out what's best for your circumstances. 

I can promise you I am certainly not putting any pressure on myself. I'm happy with where I am completey, i've bounded about the same weight for years. I just feel I should make a small effort cause the missus is.

Determined to cut out the crisps/chocolate/sweeties tho. That will be long term cause its unhealthy.

32 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I've recently joined the Pure Gym on Hope St with the idea of going at lunchtime. 

My only issue is that I fucking hate going to the Gym.  I'm determined to stick it out as I'm on the cusp of turning into a fat b*****d. 

They might do a class that could tie in with your lunchtime? Some sort of spinning or high intensity training workout. Most will be included with your membership. Fitness classes can be good for drumming a level of speed and intensity into you which you can then take into your gym routine, rather than plodding along. 

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I've recently joined the Pure Gym on Hope St with the idea of going at lunchtime. 

My only issue is that I fucking hate going to the Gym.  I'm determined to stick it out as I'm on the cusp of turning into a fat b*****d. 

I'm not sure your lady hands could take lifting weights so often

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Pure Gym always guarantees you a good view mate.  I'd recommend going even if you don't want to exercise.  Thank me later.

2 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

Since the wee one has been born I feel like I'm turning into a fat b*****d.  Have committed to doing a big charity cycle in the summer so hopefully training for that will take the extra half a stone or whatever I've put on back off.

I've actually got a health check today at 12pm so will report back as to how close to death I actually am.

Yeh I'm a fat ride apparently:

15 stone and 6ft2.  38 inch waist.

BMI 26.18

Cholesterol ratio 6.7 (enough that I was recommended to visit a doctor).

Good news is my blood pressure and resting heart rate are good which should help when I can't get off the couch.

25 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Yeh I'm a fat ride apparently:

15 stone and 6ft2.  38 inch waist.

BMI 26.18

Cholesterol ratio 6.7 (enough that I was recommended to visit a doctor).

Good news is my blood pressure and resting heart rate are good which should help when I can't get off the couch.

My BMI this time last year was 36, got it down to 26, which is just over what’s considered  healthy, I’m happy wi that 

39 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

My BMI this time last year was 36, got it down to 26, which is just over what’s considered  healthy, I’m happy wi that 

The boy who did the assessment said I could be considered obese under BMI.

What a p***k :)

4 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

Pure Gym always guarantees you a good view mate.  I'd recommend going even if you don't want to exercise.  Thank me later.

I did position myself on the running machine directly behind that stair machine thing that they have.  That was enjoyable.

I think that's a fair assessment, i can feel myself constantly thinking about what the scales will say next, and as you say, I'm setting myself up to fail.
I've just got it in my head that I NEED to get to that 14 stone mark, which for being 6'4 isn't bad. I've not really been exercising a lot, just a bit of walking while I'm working.

I'm a member of a budget gym near my work and it's good to be able to go and lift weights or do HIIT at lunchtime.  I think it's important to integrate exercise time into your day and doing it at lunchtime or in your work day is a good way to get it in without impacting on time with your family or at home.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I'm a member of a budget gym near my work and it's good to be able to go and lift weights or do HIIT at lunchtime.  I think it's important to integrate exercise time into your day and doing it at lunchtime or in your work day is a good way to get it in without impacting on time with your family or at home.

I used to cycle to work from Fife into Edinburgh for this very reason. It was no slower than driving or getting public transport (though a bit more wet and miserable).

No. Calories In vs Calories Out is not "generally" correct. It is correct. To say otherwise is to violate a million laws of physics. If people are claiming they're ingesting less calories than they're expending and not losing weight, then they're mistaken in terms of calculating their Calories Out vs Calories In.

EDIT: wrote the wrong word initially by accident.

I was talking body composition rather than weight.

6 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:
On 16/02/2018 at 10:24, ICTChris said:

So at lunch time , you go to gym, work out for say 30-45 minutes , get a shower ( I presume you would since going back to work ) have something to eat straight after it n then back to work ? Not quite time consuming and feeling rushed ?

It depends on your job I suppose - my work are pretty relaxed about lunch times etc.  I normally leave around 12noon, get to the gym about five or ten minutes later, either do a 20 minute HIIT workout or lift weights for 30-45 minutes then get a shower and head back.  I'll grab some food and eat it back at my desk while working.

6 hours ago, ICTChris said:

It depends on your job I suppose - my work are pretty relaxed about lunch times etc.  I normally leave around 12noon, get to the gym about five or ten minutes later, either do a 20 minute HIIT workout or lift weights for 30-45 minutes then get a shower and head back.  I'll grab some food and eat it back at my desk while working.

I’ve always wondered this as well. When I go to the gym (probably me being slow) I take at least 45-60 mins for a workout. 5/10 min walk to the gym and get changed etc, 5 min warmup, 15 mins for shower and walking back afterwards only leaves a maximum of 30 mins, don’t think I could get enough done there. 

12 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

As I said it’s likely my lack of energy/slow pace, but I’d probably only get a few sets of a few different exercises done in half an hour.

You'd build it up over time though. Look at hitting the big compound lifts for strength and high intensity cardio training. I'm no expert but happy to help if you want a few pointers. If you even just have 20 mins of actual training time you can still get a lot done. 

13 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

You'd build it up over time though. Look at hitting the big compound lifts for strength and high intensity cardio training. I'm no expert but happy to help if you want a few pointers. If you even just have 20 mins of actual training time you can still get a lot done. 

Happily take a PM with pointers. I’ve been slacking for a while, but will look to get back into the gym soon, basically I’d like to minimise the time spent there but main aim is to bulk up a bit.