The get fit, stay fit thread

Lost around 40lbs in the last 9 or 10 months.......was eating way to much junk food.... blood pressure was dangerously high.
Now my diet consists of mainly chicken, rice and mushrooms and home made burgers.
Totally cut out the deep fried food and crisps ( except when I get back to Scotland now and again and can't resist the occasional fish supper from the chippie...not chipper.)
Blood pressure down to an acceptable level now and feeling better for it.
Will be back to cycling more in the next week or so to keep the muscles active.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm down to 14st 3lbs from just under 16st at the beginning of the year, mainly due to cycling about 9 miles three or four times a week.

Tody though, I completed my first ever 5k run in about 27 minutes. Is this decent or pretty rubbish bearing in mind that I haven't even entertained running any distance for about 10 years!

42 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Decent for a first attempt.  About 9min/mile.

Braw. Something to aim for next time.

38 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Joined Xercise 4 less at Wester Hailes recently as it has 4 decent punchbags and a boxing ring. About £11 or £12 pm and loads of space for skipping too. Handy to be able to just go and rattle off a training session any time. 

Good price.

I'm £22 for gym and swim at Kirkcaldy leisure centre.

Joined Xercise 4 less at Wester Hailes recently as it has 4 decent punchbags and a boxing ring. About £11 or £12 pm and loads of space for skipping too. Handy to be able to just go and rattle off a training session any time. 

Use the one in Glasgow city centre. Bags have fair softened up from age and could do with replacing at mine but still like having the option to hit a bag instead of dull runs on the treadmill or cross trainer.

15 minutes ago, mrcat1990 said:

Use the one in Glasgow city centre. Bags have fair softened up from age and could do with replacing at mine but still like having the option to hit a bag instead of dull runs on the treadmill or cross trainer.

I've got a membership at a more plush place with pool, sauna etc but like you say, smashing a bag is more interesting than treadmills etc. They're talking about putting in more boxing stuff in this one like floor to ceiling balls etc 

Started running again a couple of times a week a wee while back. Had been going out with the missus up the hills and doing some relatively short, extremely steep, very slow runs. Went out myself a few times in the last few weeks and upped the pace a little on a fairly slat route instead. Consistently running at around 5:30 per km, which is about 40 seconds per km off what was previously my cruising speed when I was running regularly. Last few runs have gone from 4.5 to 5.2 up to 5.8k as I try and work out what I can manage these days. I think I could comfortably manage another 1-2k extra but don't want to push myself too much, lest I wind up knackering myself again. Will restrict myself to running twice a week(As opposed to the 3/4 times a week I previously averaged) and want to try and make that 1 up the hills and 1 flat. There is scope to cover a decent distance with each option. Normally try and use the exercise bike or get out on the mountain bike once a week also. Depending on how the running gets on I might ditch that for a while and use that to do a bit of weights again instead, though once a week is perhaps pointless.

Under 13st again which is nice.

On 15/09/2017 at 12:20, Shandon Par said:

mind save some energy for the junkies that'll swarm on you upon exit

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Anyone pay for the premium on MyFitnessPal? Only started using it recently but would like some more analysis on my food. Worth the cash?

I did for a few months. It was ok, good for tracking stuff if you are eating shop bought food as you can scan the bar code and the info comes through and it was good to get an idea of the calories that are in the food you eat, there can be some surprises.

I was trying to eat more homemade stuff though and found that a faff, you can add that but you have to spend time working out ingredients etc. You can import on-line recipes but again, need to spend a bit of time editing it.

You can get a 1 month trial of the premium MyFitnessPal and then decide if it suits you. I think its quite a personal thing and it won't suit everyone. It does take a bit of effort to start with as logging what you eat all the time does get annoying but it can become a habit which you just do, like anything can.

Anyone pay for the premium on MyFitnessPal? Only started using it recently but would like some more analysis on my food. Worth the cash?

What more analysis are you after?

The only time I’ve really had any interest in it is to be able to set macros at the specific volume in grams rather than as a percentage of your overall calorie content.