The get fit, stay fit thread

11 hours ago, Milnzo said:

Does anyone bother with rowing machines? I've been at them the last week and got my time for 2k down to 8:43, tonight. Should probably be aiming for a longer workout but that basically leaves me emptied.  

A couple of months back when I was bogged down with uni work and didn't really have time to do seperate runs outside my weight programming I did some rowing right after my weights just to keep up my cardio a bit. Apart from feeling nauseous the first few times, I quite liked it. My 2k times were similar to yours, around 8 minutes but I was absolutely gassed after it. Weights plus that really finished me off.

I had gastroenteritis for about 10 days around the festive period. As I'd already done my MCL (grade 2) about a month beforehand, I had already been looking at ways to compensate with my diet against the 4/5 times I was exercising already. I ended up limiting myself to just the 1.5/2 meals a day, but the most significant change came from dramatically cutting the amount of sugar in my diet after it, which because I wasn't eating much in the first place came a lot more easily than I expected to. Mostly the changes would be adding coconut oil into my coffee, going omelette daft and just eating lots of meat, veg and fattier foods. Babybels are fucking king btw.

It's only in the last fortnight however, that I've really noticed the dramatic change in my tastebuds. I can't stomach fizzy drinks at all (Not even that odd can of Irn Bru that I used to crave when I was hungover), chocolate bars taste hollow, and don't get me started on the cakes that my colleagues at work bring in. It's great that junk food doesn't seem as appealing as it used to, but I almost miss that satisfaction of just gorging on a really bad cheat meal (which tended to be a chicken donner kebab pizza with bbq and garlic sauce). What really worries however is I can't almost feel the spike of sugar in my system when I do gorge now, like I'm really thirsty afterwards and pissing a bit more. Apparently when I approached a friend who studying to be a dietician, who said that because my body isn't producing as much insulin than it used to when I was consuming more sugar, I'm not dealing with the higher levels of glucose in my system as effectively. It might be easier to deal with if I was exercising, but because of my knee I'm not really wanting to risk it*.

Mostly, as glad as I am that I'm not craving junk food anywhere near as much as I used to as well as being more on top of my hunger pangs, I'm still trying to deal with the odd sugar spike for now, but also I'm re-adapting my taste buds more than anything to find more meals that satisfy them. Texture feels like the biggest difference. The best way I can describe it is as if my mouth has another layer to it, and my saliva feels thicker. Foods I've really noticed an improvement with are roasted vegetables, Broccoli and fruit seem to taste x100 better than before.

My knee is slowly coming to now with physio sessions. I had that cupping done that Phelps had in his recovery, where a plastic cup is placed on the problem area and the air sucked out to vacuum the tension out. You definitely notice the difference, especially the bruises! My biggest issue just now is that my sleeping seems to be fucking with my knee. Being static doesn't help, even when I try to combat it with wearing my knee brace or using a pillow for posture.

*I did try a spin class nearly a fortnight ago. It wasn't bad on the knee at the time (my lungs were on fire mind), which means heat helps, but the rest of my leg tightened up big time, no matter many stretches and exercises I did. I use a thera-band for exercise and foam-roller to try and massage the tension out of my leg, but if anyone has any other personal tips that I might have missed on the internet, I'm open to suggestions.

I find myself missing exercise weirdly now, whereas three years ago I would have dismissed the thought entirely. Weight wise, I'm actually half a stone lighter than I was before(probably through loss of muscle), however I found myself sleeping better and dealing with shit a lot better when I was. On a four on, four off shift, I hardly do anything on my days offs, mostly because that will-power and motivation to do more things that I had built up, seems to have been chipped away.

tl;dr Knee is fucked MCL, personal tips to aid recovery plz; cut sugar out of the diet, good for health, but as it's little price.

That's another 4Lb off, really noticing a difference now with how clothes fit and even my breathing.

Not been to the gym much, but having the dogs there to take on 3 mile walks every day this weeks made up for it anyway.

That's another 4Lb off, really noticing a difference now with how clothes fit and even my breathing.

Not been to the gym much, but having the dogs there to take on 3 mile walks every day this weeks made up for it anyway.

Do you use the gym at work? I find it great to just nip up in my lunch hour and get a wee workout.

1 minute ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Do you use the gym at work? I find it great to just nip up in my lunch hour and get a wee workout.

I've never got around to it, went a few times but prefer going to the liveactive ones to be honest. 

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

That's another 4Lb off, really noticing a difference now with how clothes fit

The expense of losing weight. I've got a wardrobe full of clothes that don't really fit me anymore. I've got a handful of stuff that fits me at my new current size but I'm holding off on spending a fortune replacing all of it until I'm definitely done the bulk of my changing shape. I'm not far from finished my major shape change though. 3st 8lbs lost since June has me stagnated at 13st right now and around 18.5% BF (I'm 6ft 2).

Aiming to get the 4st lost mark by April and that's about as low as I think I can get as I'm putting muscle on too. But I'm borderline on waist size now and I don't really want to go down another one as I could end up a difficult size to buy.

I did have to renege on the spending too much on new clothes bit a little though, as I no longer had any suits that fitted me so had to get fitted for a new one over Christmas time.

27 minutes ago, Spain said:

The expense of losing weight. I've got a wardrobe full of clothes that don't really fit me anymore. I've got a handful of stuff that fits me at my new current size but I'm holding off on spending a fortune replacing all of it until I'm definitely done the bulk of my changing shape. I'm not far from finished my major shape change though. 3st 8lbs lost since June has me stagnated at 13st right now and around 18.5% BF (I'm 6ft 2).

Aiming to get the 4st lost mark by April and that's about as low as I think I can get as I'm putting muscle on too. But I'm borderline on waist size now and I don't really want to go down another one as I could end up a difficult size to buy.

I did have to renege on the spending too much on new clothes bit a little though, as I no longer had any suits that fitted me so had to get fitted for a new one over Christmas time.

I prefer having my stuff a size up anyway to be honest, like my stuff feeling loose as long as its not too daft. 

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 22:19, Milnzo said:

Does anyone bother with rowing machines? I've been at them the last week and got my time for 2k down to 8:43, tonight. Should probably be aiming for a longer workout but that basically leaves me emptied.  

Used to enjoy them but now try and avoid. I aim to do 2000m in under 8 minutes. For me the most knackering machine at the gym if you are aiming to accomplish a certain time.

If I do use the machine I leave it till last as it leaves you too knackered to do anything else : )

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 10:29, Spain said:

3st 8lbs lost since June has me stagnated at 13st right now and around 18.5% BF (I'm 6ft 2).

That's virtually the same as me.  Folk won't be able to tell us apart next time I see you :ph34r:

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 22:19, Milnzo said:

I tend to go on the rowing machine as a bit of a warm down at the end of a cardio session, just for 1km though, in about 4:30/5mins.  A good use of time while the heart rate slows down from running.

Had a workmate come to the gym with me this morning who is far more experienced at #deadlifts than me and I have to say, he stripped my technique back and I feel much more comfortable now.  No pain in the lower back and the bar feels lighter even though I was lifting the same weight.

Does anyone use a kettle bell and if so, what is a good weight for someone who's reasonably fit - do cardio 5x a week, mostly running but walk,cycle and swimming too.

Had a quick scan there and two websites seem to recommend 16kg. Strangely both sites suggest that most men might think this is too light! I was thinking the opposite and it would be too heavy. 

12 hours ago, Kejan said:

Does anyone use a kettle bell and if so, what is a good weight for someone who's reasonably fit - do cardio 5x a week, mostly running but walk,cycle and swimming too.

Had a quick scan there and two websites seem to recommend 16kg. Strangely both sites suggest that most men might think this is too light! I was thinking the opposite and it would be too heavy. 

Depends on your starting point TBH and what kind of exercise you're going to do with it. I'd never done weights before June last year, and bought a set of 8kg, 10kg, & 12kg and quickly found that the I didn't need the bottom two at all and could easily have started off higher up. I use a 16kg now. But then I only Alternating Swing Catches & Deadlift Sumo Jumps, both as finishers with them.

Depends on your starting point TBH and what kind of exercise you're going to do with it. I'd never done weights before June last year, and bought a set of 8kg, 10kg, & 12kg and quickly found that the I didn't need the bottom two at all and could easily have started off higher up. I use a 16kg now. But then I only Alternating Swing Catches & Deadlift Sumo Jumps, both as finishers with them.

A Deadlift Sumo Jump sounds like one of E Honda's moves on Street Fighter.

Did a Kettlercise class for about two years and would use an 8kg bell for it, but thats a solid 40 minute class with no rest.

I've bought a 12kg bell from Aldi which I find ok for all the compound and 2 armed moves but heavy for single arm shoulder presses and the like.

The bell I got from Aldi cost all of £12 so there are some decent cheaper options out there.

Decided to ditch the £31 a month gym membership and get one of these. Got some weights lying in my old room at my parents house, so going to bring them home the next time I'm over. I'm a physical job, but still need to tighten up a bit. 292123e34411ffff56e790d09653a153.jpg

Started doing this 5 x 5 weight program. 5 sets of 5 reps. Using Squats, deadlift, bench press, overhead press and bent over row.

You do 3 exercises each workout day, three times a week. Squats every day and rotate 2 of the other 4 exercises each day.

Supposed to start out with the bar and add 2.5kg every workout until you can't do 5 sets of 5. 

I did my ACL in years ago so been scared of squatting,  but this seems to help get you used to the movement. Knee doesn't feel as weak now, 3 weeks in. Seems pointless starting as such a low weight to begin with but it adds up quickly.

On 26/02/2017 at 11:17, Spain said:

Cheers!