The Falkirk FC Thread

I don't think we have any chance of making the play offs and not only would we get bodied if we did, it would be a distraction to our re-building for next season. We need probably every second of the close season to sort our squad out.

I think Hartley will be pretty well advanced with planning his rebuild for next season. The only scenario that would cause disruption would be the infinitesimal chance of promotion through the play offs.
Play to win every game (obviously) and in the meantime we should enjoy watching a far better team than we had early season.

24 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I think Hartley will be pretty well advanced with planning his rebuild for next season. The only scenario that would cause disruption would be the infinitesimal chance of promotion through the play offs.
Play to win every game (obviously) and in the meantime we should enjoy watching a far better team than we had early season.

Pretty odd to say I have enjoyed a decent portion of this season. We were disgusting at the start of the season, and tbh Hartley didn't improve things until after the window, but considering post January theres been little to play for except trying to avoid relegation, I have enjoyed it. The players Hartley brought in are good to watch generally and his style has made for some decent games. When I think back to how I felt at Tannadice when Aero went to LB and Cameron Blues got slaughtered by Billy King, I wondered if that was me finished with football that day.

17 minutes ago, Millions said:

Grant seems to be out of favour. Would genuinely say he's one of the best in the league. Be surprised if he's binned

He was one of the best in the league pre-injury. He is roughly half of what he was IMO. 

45 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Pretty odd to say I have enjoyed a decent portion of this season. We were disgusting at the start of the season, and tbh Hartley didn't improve things until after the window, but considering post January theres been little to play for except trying to avoid relegation, I have enjoyed it. The players Hartley brought in are good to watch generally and his style has made for some decent games. When I think back to how I felt at Tannadice when Aero went to LB and Cameron Blues got slaughtered by Billy King, I wondered if that was me finished with football that day.

For me, Hartley being unable to get a dead cat bounce out of the players he inherited kind of made it obvious that it wasn’t Houston’s man management or tactics that were at fault, just as it wasn’t Hartley’s man management or tactics.

Be is unsettling elements amongst the players, or just their collective lack of desire, it was that group of players who were 100% culpable for what was going on.

Now Hartley might prove to be great for us or not, but so far, be it Hippolyte or Austin or Craigen or Miller or Kerr, there’s not a single player that he has jettisoned that I have spent a moment wishing they were back in our team. It’s just a pity he couldn’t extend it further, and got rid off the remaining flops. While never world beaters, give me Robson, Nelson and the Yak over any of those that have left.

40 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

For me, Hartley being unable to get a dead cat bounce out of the players he inherited kind of made it obvious that it wasn’t Houston’s man management or tactics that were at fault, just as it wasn’t Hartley’s man management or tactics.

Be is unsettling elements amongst the players, or just their collective lack of desire, it was that group of players who were 100% culpable for what was going on.

Now Hartley might prove to be great for us or not, but so far, be it Hippolyte or Austin or Craigen or Miller or Kerr, there’s not a single player that he has jettisoned that I have spent a moment wishing they were back in our team. It’s just a pity he couldn’t extend it further, and got rid off the remaining flops. While never world beaters, give me Robson, Nelson and the Yak over any of those that have left.

Absolutely this. As I said, Tannadice was a low point for me as a Falkirk fan, probably in my top five individual games of feeling utter despair. It was beyond abject, and I felt a boiling seethe for a lot of those players involved that day. Of the ones I felt the seethe for, only Joe McKee stands any chance of redemption since the rest have been deservedly fucked off. 

Absolutely this. As I said, Tannadice was a low point for me as a Falkirk fan, probably in my top five individual games of feeling utter despair. It was beyond abject, and I felt a boiling seethe for a lot of those players involved that day. Of the ones I felt the seethe for, only Joe McKee stands any chance of redemption since the rest have been deservedly fucked off. 

That Tannadice game was absolutely brutal, Willo Flood ripping the piss out of us :lol:
I hardly remember any of it other than one moment when Louis was pressing their back line only to turn and see all his teammates sitting behind the half way line. Felt sorry for him having to play with that shite that day.

I'd say the opposite in that it was Houston's fault, the buck always falls on the manager and it was no coincidence we started picking up points when we got a left back in which for me was Houstons fault in not getting in a back up or first team left back if Gallacher didnt reach the levels required to be a first team player, we were losing a goal a game with him playing down the left hand side, sometimes more, 

You can also add Smiths two games in charge not playing Gallacher was the only real difference in the previous weeks under Houston resulting in two wins.

You can also add in having started the season then getting in 2 more centre halves to give us around 7, that is simply bad management.

Hartley also has to take some of the blame with the team he put out in the Utd game and the positions he ended up putting players in after Gallacher went off injured never mind starting him.

Edited by MrDust

8 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Much as I agree that it wasn't man management at fault, Houston assembled that squad with a reasonably large, comparatively, budget so he really should take the blame. I also think that a lot of Hartley's pre-window games were an exercise in figuring out who was worth keeping and who wasn't. He mixed and matched the squad like crazy for quite a few games. 

34 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Folk still trying to absolve Houston of blame :lol:

You need to read things more carefully. Because I (or anyone else) didn’t see our dire straits being directly linked to Houston’s man management or tactical nous, that doesn’t mean he wasn’t the guy who caused the mess.

Olaf Thom used to batter on about him being a “lazy manager”, and agree or disagree, it was Houston’s recruitment that brought everything tumbling down. He gave a home to far too many waifs and strays that persuasive agents pushed his way. No detailed work was done on how and why those players were shoved out by their previous outfits.

Houston absolutely was to blame, but not from a tactical or man man management perspective. Thoughtless recruitment is another matter entirely.

32 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Genuinely think that at least half of the people in the 'COYB Falkirk Fan Page' facebook page still believe that Houston should not have been sacked and given until at least January to turn it around.

A good chunk of them also think that Hartley's poor record up until December shows that he's not the right man for the job.

Conveniently ignoring the massive upturn in form we've had since he was actually able to do something about Houston's jobbers.

A good chunk of them also think that Hartley's poor record up until December shows that he's not the right man for the job.
Conveniently ignoring the massive upturn in form we've had since he was actually able to do something about Houston's jobbers.
Theres no helping anyone who thinks that. People who argue for Houstons results last season fail to remember how grim the football was. Hartleys team is much, much better to watch.

In particular the many abject first half performances boiled my piss no end last season.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Theres no helping anyone who thinks that. People who argue for Houstons results last season fail to remember how grim the football was. Hartleys team is much, much better to watch.

In particular the many abject first half performances boiled my piss no end last season.

It's not even up for debate. Even when we did fairly well last season, Houston's team was pedestrian AF. After conceding possession, we'd drop off and not attempt a tackle until the opposition reached our box. Under Hartley we press as a team and have much more urgency with the ball.