The Falkirk FC Thread

47 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Both sides have to sign the deal. We had an option on Gregory Tade, took up the option, he refused to sign and he moved on for nothing. Players hold the power.

What's the point in it then? What's different to say just offering the player another year extension? I'm evidently not very clued up on player contracts. 

5 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

What's the point in it then? What's different to say just offering the player another year extension? I'm evidently not very clued up on player contracts. 

I think theres meant to be a sort of "gentlemans agreement" that if either side want to extend then they will. But you're reliant on people sticking by their word.

56 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think theres meant to be a sort of "gentlemans agreement" that if either side want to extend then they will. But you're reliant on people sticking by their word.

It's nothing of the sort. These are formal terms written into a players contract to protect the club from said player buggering off for nothing at the end of the contract. Sibbald never kicked a ball in August because he wanted a straight one year deal whilst the club would only countenance a year with a years option. Falkirk won. So whilst Sibbald may well be agitating for a move again this summer, he'll automatically be under contract for 2018/19 and any club looking to take him will have to cough up a transfer fee.  The option is at the discretion of the club, not the player, otherwise it is totally pointless.

2 minutes ago, AGPar said:

It's nothing of the sort. These are formal terms written into a players contract to protect the club from said player buggering off for nothing at the end of the contract. Sibbald never kicked a ball in August because he wanted a straight one year deal whilst the club would only countenance a year with a years option. Falkirk won. So whilst Sibbald may well be agitating for a move again this summer, he'll automatically be under contract for 2018/19 and any club looking to take him will have to cough up a transfer fee.  The option is at the discretion of the club, not the player, otherwise it is totally pointless.

Maybe theres different versions, all I know is St Johnstone had an option on Tades contract and triggered it with his agent, he admitted that to fans at the supporters award night, and then he signed elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Maybe theres different versions, all I know is St Johnstone had an option on Tades contract and triggered it with his agent, he admitted that to fans at the supporters award night, and then he signed elsewhere.

Sounds like you might be a diddy club. Just speculating obviously, but it seems like that may the issue here.

Surely a player "signs" the extension which the club holds the right to, when he signs the initial contract?

e.g. McGhee will have known that he's with us until the end of next season if the club so wish come the time to trigger the extension.

Surely a player "signs" the extension which the club holds the right to, when he signs the initial contract?
e.g. McGhee will have known that he's with us until the end of next season if the club so wish come the time to trigger the extension.

Pretty much. Think this deal was put in place so that if we went down ( looked likely when he signed) we wouldn’t have to pay him off or same wages in league 1.

Same deals in place with Robson pretty sure Longridge also. Soon as we are safe mathematically I see contracts being extended.

Good planning from the club having all the power such as Balatoni who had a similar deal to McGhee only until December 31st. We didn’t want to keep him so he went.

15 hours ago, AGPar said:

I believe that both McGhee and the club have an option which presumably means that he's got to stay if we want him to and we've got to keep him if he wants to stay whether we want him or not? :unsure2:

20 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I believe that both McGhee and the club have an option which presumably means that he's got to stay if we want him to and we've got to keep him if he wants to stay whether we want him or not? :unsure2:

That's just the same as a 2 year contract though. 

1 hour ago, Believe The Hype said:

That's just the same as a 2 year contract though. 

What him down there said...probably.

9 minutes ago, Ryan-FFC said:

Kind of. It provides a get out point at 1yr(should neither side be keen on taking up the option) but gives the security of a 2yr deal (should even 1 side take up the option)

59 minutes ago, Ryan-FFC said:

Kind of. It provides a get out point at 1yr(should neither side be keen on taking up the option) but gives the security of a 2yr deal (should even 1 side take up the option)

If after one year a player and a club do not want each other the contract can be terminated though. 

If neither exercises the additional years option then the contract is terminated.

For instance if we want to take up the option on McGhee - he stays. If we don’t and he doesn’t want to exercise it either he goes for nothing.