The Falkirk FC Thread

41 minutes ago, Gaz said:

You think that using words such as "Paki" can be excused due to people not knowing that they are racist.

I counter that with saying that I believe there is not one person, that is not a child, who does not know that that is a racist word. Therefore, to use it is to be racist.

Gaz, you are also failing to understand the difference between racist and xenophobic.....and no, they are not interchangeable.  You are saying you clearly know the word “Paki” is racist. The word is a derogatory slang for “Pakistani” is it not? So it wouldn’t actually be a racist term, but a xenophobic one (given that there isn’t a race of people called “Pakistanis”).

1 minute ago, kyleffc said:

can you drop the last however many pages of shite and get back to talking football and the positives of the team going forward on sat, still lacked in the middle for me though

Good point, well made.

2 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Gaz, you are also failing to understand the difference between racist and xenophobic.....and no, they are not interchangeable.  You are saying you clearly know the word “Paki” is racist. The word is a derogatory slang for “Pakistani” is it not? So it wouldn’t actually be a racist term, but a xenophobic one (given that there isn’t a race of people called “Pakistanis”).

A common fallacy. The word 'Paki' wasn't used solely as a derogatory term for people of Pakistani origin. Rather, it was used as a derogatory term for people with a particular characteristic. What do you think that characteristic was?

Or, do you actually believe that your common-garden racist found out where people were from before using it?

Edited by Gaz

15 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I am well aware there is a difference between ignorance and racism. I just don't believe that anyone can claim 'ignorance' over 'Paki' being a racist term.

I put his first term down to ignorance at the time of reading, he could have  handled it better when called out there and then and apologised for any offence caused. Instead he tried to explain why it was ok again thinking he is just being ignorant to this specific term. Jimmy then asked him whether he thought your above term was acceptable and he did..... Well that was that after his reply to be honest. I called him put as a Bernard manning type last year. Nailed it. 

Hazard in the northern Ireland squad. When do they play? 

Theres U21s the week after next. I see the St Mirren lads on their thread mentioning a potential postponement to our game against them as they have 3 called up so maybe we wont have to do without Hazard.

Eta would take missing Hazard to get them with three first team players away tbh

Hazard in the northern Ireland squad. When do they play? 

The guys looked nervy to me at times in his few games for us.
It’s a bit of a step up to play at international level but I guess if you play for either of the OF its almost inevitable he would get called up.

17 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Probably not, but I can think of examples in my lifetime where people have used the term with no intention to show dislike or disrespect (same applies to chinky) Admittedly we are probably talking a lot more common 15-20 years ago as people become aware of the offense caused. My point simply is that not every instance of this is designed to cause offence, but if someone makes that mistake, they should make a point of not making it again. 

17 hours ago, Gaz said:

If folk are using words like Paki and Chinky in 2018 then they're well aware how offensive they are. Ignorance is not an excuse.

I'm positive you had a Falkirk fan in the last year say "chinky" on this board when he was referring to a Chinese takeaway. He admitted the error of his ways though. 

Been a bad year on PnB for posters not knowing what terms would be considered racist. 

I'm positive you had a Falkirk fan in the last year say "chinky" on this board when he was referring to a Chinese takeaway. He admitted the error of his ways though. 

Been a bad year on PnB for posters not knowing what terms would be considered racist. 
Yeah I remember that incident. He was apologetic about it when pulled up and pretty genuine. Perhaps he isnt a racist?

Anyway, we are moving on it seems. By all means get a racism thread on the go though. Its a big issue and well worth discussion.

3 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

I should mention its full squad not U21s

So it is.

In that case its the 24th March.

Pretty mental to think he's been called up to the full squad after 5 or 6 first team games.

I doubt he'll play, but it'll be good for him to experience being with the squad.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
6 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:
I should mention its full squad not U21s

Full squad.....fucking hell. They are either well short of keepers or thats yer Old Firm love in in full flow. Nae offence to the laddie but hes not exactly proven a lot yet.

Still have Mcgovern and Carson infront of him mind you

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah I remember that incident. He was apologetic about it when pulled up and pretty genuine. Perhaps he isnt a racist?

Didn't seem like one, maybe a bit "yer granda" but I remember him being pretty apologetic about it when it was pointed out. 

Anyway I'll stop derailing your thread, carry on.