The Falkirk FC Thread

In relation to Dumbarton always staying up here are the bottom 2 teams the last 5 seasons.

2017 Ayr and Raith - Dumbarton 8th

2016 Alloa and Livingston - Dumbarton 8th

2015 Cowdenbeath and Alloa - Dumbarton 7th

2014 Morton and Cowdenbeath - Dumbarton 5th

2013 Airdrie and Dunfermline - Dumbarton 7th

Certainly impressive stuff from Dumbarton especially finishing 5th.

Seems they always finish above the leagues diddies and don't have a habit of seeing off big teams.

That sort of thing is just patter I reckon. No relevance to whether he would actually come or not. Just saying what sounds good coming from a player. 
Give Alex Harris a wave on ur way thru the revolving door Jack x x

You don’t think that sort of thing stops clubs approaching Hearts with a view to a loan deal though? I would think if Hearts want to loan him out they would not find this useful.

Having seen the nick of Dumbarton last weekend I'd be amazed if Falkirk don't finish well above them.

FWIW I think Falkirk will finish above us but you can't judge that on one game against the league leaders, with 5 first team starters out injured. We currently have 1 fit striker, a completely finished Nade, who by all accounts looks set to retire in the not too distant future.

As was mentioned above less than 2 months ago we came to Paisley and were the first team to beat St Mirren at home for the best part of a year. That formed part of a 6 match unbeaten run. As a part time team in this league we always have bad runs, I fully expect us to make a few decent signings in the coming weeks so you just never know.

Personally I think this may be a season too far for us but that's more due to me expecting a Falkirk revival and not having much hope of anyone else imploding. Either way I'm confident we'll not disgrace ourselves and will hopefully keep it relatively tight until the end of the season. That will be fully dependant on who we bring in and if we manage to get our injured players back asap.

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

FWIW I think Falkirk will finish above us but you can't judge that on one game against the league leaders, with 5 first team starters out injured. We currently have 1 fit striker, a completely finished Nade, who by all accounts looks set to retire in the not too distant future.

As was mentioned above less than 2 months ago we came to Paisley and were the first team to beat St Mirren at home for the best part of a year. That formed part of a 6 match unbeaten run. As a part time team in this league we always have bad runs, I fully expect us to make a few decent signings in the coming weeks so you just never know.

Personally I think this may be a season too far for us but that's more due to me expecting a Falkirk revival and not having much hope of anyone else imploding. Either way I'm confident we'll not disgrace ourselves and will hopefully keep it relatively tight until the end of the season. That will be fully dependant on who we bring in and if we manage to get our injured players back asap.

Fair comment, I've only seen Dumbarton 3 times this season and Saturday there is by far the worst I've seen them play but Aitken has proved time and again that he can dig them out of poor runs so maybe things will improve as you say when the injury situation clears up.

What I would say is that on the form I've seen him in Tom Walsh would get a game for nearly every team in the division, he's been outstanding.

2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

I think Morton might be that team

Don't see it. Morton are one of those that will pick up wins and draws here and there, don't see them going on a long losing run.

Hope you are right though :P

Fair comment, I've only seen Dumbarton 3 times this season and Saturday there is by far the worst I've seen them play but Aitken has proved time and again that he can dig them out of poor runs so maybe things will improve as you say when the injury situation clears up.
What I would say is that on the form I've seen him in Tom Walsh would get a game for nearly every team in the division, he's been outstanding.

Walsh has been our best player this season without a doubt but unfortunately injuries have meant we've had to play him wide in recent weeks where he's far less effective. When we had him through the middle with Froxy and Stewart up there providing support we looked far more threatening going forward. If we can add another striker and a decent wide player we will be looking much stronger going into the 2nd half of the season.

If Walsh keeps up his form I'll be fully expecting him to get a decent move in the summer. As far as I'm aware Dundee Utd are keen, there's even been chat of them chucking us a fee for him before the end of the window, I do very much doubt that mind you.

30 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'd fancy your chances in the playoffs anyway to be honest.  More pressure probably on Raith or Ayr to come back up . On the other hand if we ended up second bottom the pressure would be all on us .

17 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Why do people still doubt Dumbarton, after all these years? They always stay up and haven't even needed to use the play-offs to survive since they were promoted back in 2012.

They always have bad results and they get written off - then they pick up a surprise win. It's just what they do.

Aye, Falkirk have now shown they're capable of winning and you'd probably make them favourites to stay up, but Dumbarton have always had a prolonged downturn in form at one point in the season and they've always recovered and avoided the bottom two. This is probably the most trouble they've been in since their first season up and it'd wouldn't be a surprise if they ended up 9th now, but it'd be a shock if they end up cut adrift by a distance come the end of the season.

Even if Falkirk turn it around enough to be comfortably clear, there's always the prospect of a collapse from anyone from 4th-7th. You wouldn't think any of them are likely to go on a long bad run without grinding out enough occasional wins to keep them safe, but none of them are good enough to entirely discount it either.  Between them Morton, Livingston, QoS and ICT have had runs of four without a win, only one win in six, that kind of thing - it only takes a run like that going a couple of games longer to drag them into it.

Morton's next three league games are Dundee United away, Dunfermline at home and QoS away: it's feasible that one or both sides will be in touching distance after that, and ICT also have a tough run of fixtures following if they lose to Falkirk next week.

I'd fancy your chances in the playoffs anyway to be honest.  More pressure probably on Raith or Ayr to come back up . On the other hand if we ended up second bottom the pressure would be all on us .

Remember we would need to win a two legged play off semi final (currently looks like Arbroath or Alloa) just to get to meet Ayr or Raith.

The play offs are best avoided as Raith found out...

45 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Remember we would need to win a two legged play off semi final (currently looks like Arbroath or Alloa) just to get to meet Ayr or Raith.

The play offs are best avoided as Raith found out...

I know that's why i said we'd struggle with the pressure all being on us whilst I think Dumbarton would be fine.

You lads are a decent price againt Livvy on Saturday, do you expect Hartley to play his strongest team? 

We've got Taiwo and McGhee carrying knocks so I'd imagine they'll be rested. A look at our last 3 results will tell you that it's been like watching a different team in each game.