The Falkirk FC Thread

No love-in here, but your focus is on their performance this season which I totally get. However, mine was on the POTENTIAL some of the players have which we have simply failed to exploit under Hartley.

Let’s see what he brings in to replace what we have although I have previously highlighted that Hartley’s signing record causes some concern.

You are right that he has to do something because in terms of motivating or getting the best out of what we have he has failed miserably to date.

I was trying to see what Nelson brings to the party based on previous record but struggling to find his goal scoring record with Harrogate Town...

It's all about opinions and Hartley will have his. He sees players train daily, their attitudes, their efforts.

Yes, I believe Austin showed signs of potential last season but he had regressed not only under Hartley but Houston as well.

You can work with a player to make them fitter, sharper, better techniques etc, the one thing you can't do it teach them drive, hunger and their desire to be the best as that comes from within the individual.

There must be a flaw somewhere within Austin's make up, you would not expect Hartley to get rid of if he was showing the potential that you suggest.

I feel we have waited long enough for certain players to fulfill their potential and look where that has got us... Dire straits... Money for nothing, that was quite good [emoji4]

Seriously, waiting on potential... The players listed below have shown potential in the past
Hippolyte
Loy
Craigen
Gallagher
Sibbald
Shepherd
O'Hara
Austin
Harris

Football is a results based business, waiting on potential may get you relegated and sacked.

We've waited long enough. We need to back the manager here. Potential does not get 3 points every week

On the thread for the QOS game Bridge of Allan Bairn has given a break down of our strike force stats this season and it makes horrific reading.

We are nearly in January and between the 5 of them Austin, Miller, O'Hara, Loy and Shepherd they have scored one goal. That was Austin against St Mirren, first game of the season.

That is rank rotten, if Hartley wants to get rid of the lot of them and bring in others to have a go then fine by me. Crack on Paul you have my backing.

Surely folk can see that agreeing a mutual deal to move Austin on, probably at zero cost, is a better option than handing Alex Harris 40k to leave? Austin will have another club lined up, it gives us more room to manoeuvre getting rid of him than paying off the ultra diddies on two year deals that will be finished in full time football once they leave us.

15 minutes ago, wullie robb said:

Poet, I can't even defend that just now, surely better player's in Scotland than signing guy's that don't even have any history that suggests they'll score goals. 

On paper, it's very underwhelming but you never know. I'd say you have to give the guy a chance. Seeing as you've scored 9 goals in 16 league games so far, it's not like he's going to do any worse.

7 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Definitely want to give the lad a chance but it isn’t great...

https://www.transfermarkt.com/andrew-nelson/leistungsdatenverein/spieler/359187

I've no idea what sort of player Nelson is, so perhaps it's unfair to judge him on goals alone, but Joe Nuttall who was on-loan at ourselves and Stranraer last year - scoring twice in L1 for the Blues, and only making it off the bench for about 20 minutes for us - has 10 goals and 2 assists in the same league.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/joe-nuttall/profil/spieler/277069

Sutton is likely but Hilson is a cert as his 6 months is up and if anyone will take him, Duffy will go too.
I'm pretty certain we'll be looking for a forward on January as we'll only have Reilly and Mullen as out and out forwards. 

Is Hilson fit,I can see him ending up at Arbroath,with Dick Campbell

1 hour ago, wullie robb said:

How do we end up signing a boy that went on loan to Hartlepool and picked up a bad injury, then end's up at Harrogate Town. 

Harrogate Town are in the sixth tier of English football. The last player you signed from that level was Will Vaulks, who was at Workington before you signed him.

28 minutes ago, WHM said:

Is Hilson fit,I can see him ending up at Arbroath,with Dick Campbell

Hilson has not been fit since he signed for us. He looked promising in a pre-season friendly but has been on the treatment table since then.

. Not quite so sure under AJ at the Pars, although that’s simply because I don’t really know that much re his coaching style or record in this regard.

He done pretty well with Faiss who seems a similar case, I highly doubt we'd sign Fash though despite him being local, we're very well stocked upfront. Raith wouldn't shock me.

Surely folk can see that agreeing a mutual deal to move Austin on, probably at zero cost, is a better option than handing Alex Harris 40k to leave?

There's absolutely no chance that you've moved Austin on at zero cost. Absolutely mental that some football fans think this is the case.

11 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

There's absolutely no chance that you've moved Austin on at zero cost. Absolutely mental that some football fans think this is the case.

"Absolutely no chance", you sure about that? Quite a conclusive statement with you having no evidence to back it up.

I'm not saying it's a certainty but it was a mutual agreement to rip the contract up. If he's been told he's surplus to requirements and can get first team football elsewhere at the same wage, why would there be "absolutely no chance" and "absolutely mental" to think otherwise?

"Absolutely no chance", you sure about that? Quite a conclusive statement with you having no evidence to back it up.
I'm not saying it's a certainty but it was a mutual agreement to rip the contract up. If he's been told he's surplus to requirements and can get first team football elsewhere at the same wage, why would there be "absolutely no chance" and "absolutely mental" to think otherwise?
Yes, you'd still be absolutely mental to think that.

9 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Definitely want to give the lad a chance but it isn’t great...

https://www.transfermarkt.com/andrew-nelson/leistungsdatenverein/spieler/359187

He needs to work out for us and for Hartley. It's a big and brave statement to move on Austin and replace him with Nelson so obviously Hartley trusts him to get goals.

At the end of the day, the Austin of last season looked really promising however all this shite  with winning best dressed person at horse racing etc seems to have made him lose focus on playing football.

Drastic times call for drastic measures and hopefully Nelson works out well for us.

Well argued. You sure showed me.
I could try and convince you, but seing as I'm not likely to start throwing people under the bus and release there financial details you'll inevitably not believe me.

As it is I'll just continue to chuckle whenever a football fan thinks there club is going to be able to magically f**k of players from a contract with no financial repercussions, especially in this instance.