Kris.

The Falkirk FC Thread

At least Falkirk are acknowledging the cost of a January revamp

I doubt many people in the division, least of all Pars fans, are likely to forget the admin period.
When did that happen?

I don't disagree with this decision, and of course it can be reviewed if we ever get promoted again, but the way it has been handled is nothing short of shambolic. You've got staff finding out via the papers that they're potentially out of a job. No blame to the press, as it's their job to break these stories, the blame is firmly in the boardroom and it's just another in a long line of faux pas from our current group of prawn sandwich munching acolytes.

Gordon Waddell is getting pelters on twitter but his point is he didnt make the decision. Well he did take the decision to print it before staff and the kids found out. His exclusive was clearly far more important.

8 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Gordon Waddell is getting pelters on twitter but his point is he didnt make the decision. Well he did take the decision to print it before staff and the kids found out. His exclusive was clearly far more important.

He's doing his job. His loyalty first and foremost has to be to his job, which pays his bills. Our BOD  is the inherent problem here. 

At the end of the day its another result of bad management off and on the park over the past ten years or so.  If we hadnt been forced to flog our best young talent to the first half decent bidder due to our financial constraints we would've quite possibly been promoted by now . Now that the bod have squeezed the academy dry their ditching it basically when only a few months ago when asked that direct question at the meet the manager event this was categorically denied.  There would be hee haw wrong with our strategy either if we had employed a decent manager and signed some decent players instead of haddies like Harris.  We have the second biggest budget in the league this season and as DU have not really been great shakes promotion could've  been a distinct possibility if recruitment had been far better.  You can throw as much money as you want at a team but if your employing the wrong manager and players it means feck all. Just look at DU last season and Hibs the year before for instance.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Its the clubs f**k up. No one but the club. Relevant parties should have been kept informed long before any reporter.

He's doing his job. His loyalty first and foremost has to be to his job, which pays his bills. Our BOD  is the inherent problem here. 

Yep they are totally correct points.

Complete shitfest going on just now. Scarily similar circumances to ourselves, on the park last season and off the park near the end of Gilmour's reign.

The most cost effective way for teams at this level to build a squad of players they can sell on is by taking players from lower levels or whom have been rejected higher up and developing them. Our title winning squad was full of players from 2nd and 3rd division, junior clubs and guys released from SPL youth setups. Infact as far as I know, only Stuart Bannigan came through the youth system and we got him well into his teens as he was actually at Celtic first.

It's costs a fortune to run these systems for often little return in the lower divisions. The media won't let that get in the way of a good Armageddon story though.

Edited by Snakebite

1 minute ago, Im_Rodger said:

A short term gamble which could kill a club long term. Falkirk FC to be the next Clyde FC.

Image result for gary o'connor morton

Great statement from Laing and a good decision by the club. Sibbald aside, how many of our best players in the last 3-5 years have come through this system? Timing is unfortunate and the Record shouldn't have been the source to reveal it, but it is absolutely the correct way for us to go.

Maybe I'm callous but all the sob stories about little Billy not having a team to play under-9s for on a Saturday morning don't really bother me. Just win on a Saturday at 3pm and the rest will follow.

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

Maybe I'm callous but all the sob stories about little Billy not having a team to play under-9s for on a Saturday morning don't really bother me. Just win on a Saturday at 3pm and the rest will follow.

Even at Christmas Marshy? At Christmas?!

My brothers partners son plays for the u16's/17s and they were only given their latest individual progress reports a couple of weeks ago and now the whole things down the tubes.  Even with George craig well gone we still never seem to be able to do things the right way and instead turn them into a shambles.

17 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Great statement from Laing and a good decision by the club. Sibbald aside, how many of our best players in the last 3-5 years have come through this system? Timing is unfortunate and the Record shouldn't have been the source to reveal it, but it is absolutely the correct way for us to go.

100% this. Took the words out of my mouth. A quick glance at the Facebook comments about breakin the news to a child with hopes and dreams etc which are now in tatters is unfortunate but necessary. If your wean is that good he or she will find another club and follow their 'dreams' putting your child at that age under illusions of success is what is wrong with this program in the first place. Make the club all about the 1st team first and foremost and if this pays off and down the line we may have the luxury of being a comfortable, sustainable side in the premier league then dabble in the thought of an academy. Right now it is not needed and not the answer. 

Agree with BTH and Marshy. Couldn't give much of a f**k about some greeting wain, if he's good enough he'll make it somewhere.

There's a lot of ways to look at this. The route FFC are taking is understandable financially in the short-term, but the fact that so many of their products are playing at higher levels in the British game ,this decision would be making me uneasy if it were my club. We embraced the Falkirk/Hamilton/Ross Co Academy sort of thing by having our own separate training ground and facilities and are reaping the benefits more than we've ever done. That said , we would have been relegated last season if we hadn't brought in almost a full team of experience in an attempt to keep us up. Financially, though , the Academy products have been our long-term saviour , so it's difficult to see where Falkirk are going to generate the same cash as before !