The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

The latter.
I can think of precisely zero injuries caused by the pitch.

I got a groin strain when I was on it at the Elton John gig.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The problem is that by selling players before they reach the first team your missing out on a series of players and so it's no surprise that the cupboard is currently dry. Players like Blair and biabi should now bein the first team but we only saw a handful of appearances from each. Some players like McGrandles had to move on as their contracts were running down but others were sold the first time anyone came in for them when there was no pressure to sell other than the boards financial mismanagement. If james mccarthy had come through our youth system he wouldve been sold for 400k or similar. We would never have held out lke hamilton and ended up with 1.7million. 

You can look at it both ways though. Who's to say that either Blair or biabi would have been any good at 1st team level? We may just have got decent dosh for two players that could’ve disappeared without trace. Biabi in particular I didn't feel was all that good and I was very surprised that we got a decent enough fee for him. There may also be some decent add on's with them too.

14 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

You can look at it both ways though. Who's to say that either Blair or biabi would have been any good at 1st team level? We may just have got decent dosh for two players that could’ve disappeared without trace. Biabi in particular I didn't feel was all that good and I was very surprised that we got a decent enough fee for him. There may also be some decent add on's with them too.

Yeah, the board in some cases do sell guys a bit quickly for me but I can see the temptation when the other option is guys like sibbs and alston who give good service to the club over 100's of games but ultimately leave for nothing.

I have to say that I have thought Swansea's recruitment with us has been strange, kingsley had played a lot of games for us but Blair and Biabbi had barely kicked a ball, they certainly hadn't proven their ability. If the Gallacher rumour is true it's a bit strange as well, the lad appears to have potential but he is getting roasted in some games in the Scottish first division, he is years away from being able to sit of the bench of an English premier league team, at this stage he doesn't look as good as kingsley did when they bought him and they are about to punt him. 

We also managed to get some decent cash for the likes of Taylor and Higginbotham, the latter of whom's career has nose dived since! 

Since Higginbotham has left you he's been above Falkirk every season bar last, hard to see how that's nosedived tbh.

20 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Since Higginbotham has left you he's been above Falkirk every season bar last, hard to see how that's nosedived tbh.

He did well for us and so got a move to Huddersfield, but ever since then he's played for teams who were at a lower level than his previous club. I think that's a fair description of nosedive.

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

You're partly right so my post may have been poorly worded. He left us for, I believe, £175k to join Huddersfield in the EC. Since then his career has gone backward.

Congratulations on being the 1st pars man to notice the dig though! :P

TBH though, Higgy tended to run about beating players a lot without maybe providing an end product consistently enough. His best game for us was probably the SC semi against Celtic when he coaxed some of the young lads through, particularly Jay Fulton. I think that's probably what got him his move.

Yeah, the board in some cases do sell guys a bit quickly for me but I can see the temptation when the other option is guys like sibbs and alston who give good service to the club over 100's of games but ultimately leave for nothing.
I have to say that I have thought Swansea's recruitment with us has been strange, kingsley had played a lot of games for us but Blair and Biabbi had barely kicked a ball, they certainly hadn't proven their ability. If the Gallacher rumour is true it's a bit strange as well, the lad appears to have potential but he is getting roasted in some games in the Scottish first division, he is years away from being able to sit of the bench of an English premier league team, at this stage he doesn't look as good as kingsley did when they bought him and they are about to punt him. 

Did Gallacher play against us (St Mirren) at LB? If so find it amazing that Swansea would be looking at him, he looked miles off.

Appreciate it was only 1 game and he didn't get a lot of support but seemed to get done for pace quite easily.

In saying that I guess down there it's worth a punt for them and can probably get there money back by selling him on to some championship or league 1 team so no real gamble

3 hours ago, GMBairn said:

Aye, I think, in a perfect world, every one of our players would come through the Academy and play for us for a few seasons before moving on so it's hard to take when we sell guys that we haven't really seen playing!

Can you imagine the seethe though if somebody like Biabi left us after a few years to join Montrose for example for us then to find out that Swansea had earlier had a £150k bid rejected!

I think Swansea have simply taken advantage of our earlier success with the Academy. They've obviously had someone scouting the young lads and have taken the best available at a cost that is really a drop in the ocean to them knowing that they will probably be able to sell them on at a profit if they don't become 1st team regulars. They'll make a profit of around £2.5m or so on Kingsley for example.

9 minutes ago, GaZaH said:

Did Gallacher play against us (St Mirren) at LB? If so find it amazing that Swansea would be looking at him, he looked miles off.

Appreciate it was only 1 game and he didn't get a lot of support but seemed to get done for pace quite easily.

In saying that I guess down there it's worth a punt for them and can probably get there money back by selling him on to some championship or league 1 team so no real gamble

Aye, that was he.

He's only just turned 18 earlier this month though so it's maybe no real surprise that he's not quite ready. I don't think a lack of pace is his problem though (I would imagine that he's possibly one of the faster players in the squad) more poor anticipation and positioning which hopefully will come with time. Problem is, we've no-one else available to play LB and it concerns me that a promising young career could be badly affected before it's even started due to this.

Aye, that was he.
He's only just turned 18 earlier this month though so it's maybe no real surprise that he's not quite ready. I don't think a lack of pace is his problem though (I would imagine that he's possibly one of the faster players in the squad) more poor anticipation and positioning which hopefully will come with time. Problem is, we've no-one else available to play LB and it concerns me that a promising young career could be badly affected before it's even started due to this.

Looked done for pace against Morgan who is quick but just seemed to knock it past him and run into it, but do agree easy to write players off, especially when they're only 18

11 hours ago, GaZaH said:

Looked done for pace against Morgan who is quick but just seemed to knock it past him and run into it, but do agree easy to write players off, especially when they're only 18

He actually kept up with Morgan pace wise it was the fact that he wasn't tight enough that was the main problem. He was running alongside him but 3 or 4 yards away giving him loads of room to get the cross in. He should've been shoulder to shoulder with him . He also seemed frightened to go to ground. An experienced player wouldve at least fouled Morgan once that day but Gallacher stood off him too much.

12 hours ago, GaZaH said:

Gallacher has been chased by a host of club since he was 14/15. He still has a lot to learn but he has been on the radar of big clubs for a few years. I believe QPR are coming to have a look today.

4 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Gallacher has been chased by a host of club since he was 14/15. He still has a lot to learn but he has been on the radar of big clubs for a few years. I believe QPR are coming to have a look today.

Great point. People who's job is to spot potential see something and they can't all be wrong.

Fulham have been watching him this season as well.

Great point. People who's job is to spot potential see something and they can't all be wrong.

We had a player scouted by Man U, and a host of other EPL sides, for years.

Last I heard he worked in an ice cream parlour