The Falkirk FC Thread

7 minutes ago, Jackie Moon said:

I think the way you have to look at is as been mentioned the board seem to be cutting the budget in the assumption we can put up a challenge with no Hibs and Rangers in the league and said that will do you, also as you mention about an aging Kerr and Miller are they not assisting with development squad and under 19s or something so theres 2 jobs  used with 1 person in each saving 2 wages is how they will be looking at it.

One thing i will say nothing against Sheps and hate to be negative towards a player but i think he's a salary that could have been used elsewhere but same time i dont think he would be on that much surely. 

I would presume the academy will be paying a part of Kerr and Millers wages which would be okay if it wasn't for the fact that it looks like a season too far for both of them.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

My main gripe with the bod is that we seem to be cutting budgets now that  we have a decent chance of winning the league. The last 3 seasons we've had Hearts, Rangers and Hibs. Very little chance of competing with them budget wise but the first of those seasons apart we've seen a continual reduction in the quality of the side and now when those three have all headed off to the top flight we seem to be tightening our belts . Surely if this was going to be the case we should have been keeping things tight over the past few seasons until now and then using the extra cash to produce a side that can win the league . We've lost 6 or 7  players and brought in 2 and we're relying on an 18 year old left back . Now whether Houston has spent the cash wisely ( I think we all know that isnt the case) is another thing but its disappointing to see that when the chance to win the league is there we seem to be unable to fund a team to achieve that .

Every team in the league this season has cut its cloth accordingly to the money that will come in, losing Hibs, Raith and Ayr to get Inverness, Brechin and Livvy is massive downfall. 

The quality argument falls on Houston's head as he has failed to replace what he inherited with like for like quality or even better.

Kerr, Hippo, Taiwo and Baird really have been his only successes and two of them were players we players we didn't fully need, yes they improved us but taiwo and Vaulks were doing superb, he brings Kerr in and Vaulks loses his way for a bit, Sibbs was doing well on the left, he brings Hippo in.

I'd mention Austin as a success to some extent, but I said this season is his season to prove it.

We have had numerous right wingers, not replaced Duffie and now the case with Leahy, none of the centre backs are as good to what he inherited and he has had to go back to what he inherited to improve his strikers.

Has Houston improved our squad ?

He has for sure stopped the youth policy of players coming through to first team, as we now sell players who barely kick a ball for us

1 minute ago, MrDust said:

Every team in the league this season has cut its cloth accordingly to the money that will come in, losing Hibs, Raith and Ayr to get Inverness, Brechin and Livvy is massive downfall. 

The quality argument falls on Houston's head as he has failed to replace what he inherited with like for like quality or even better.

Kerr, Hippo, Taiwo and Baird really have been his only successes and two of them were players we players we didn't fully need, yes they improved us but taiwo and Vaulks were doing superb, he brings Kerr in and Vaulks loses his way for a bit, Sibbs was doing well on the left, he brings Hippo in.

I'd mention Austin as a success to some extent, but I said this season is his season to prove it.

We have had numerous right wingers, not replaced Duffie and now the case with Leahy, none of the centre backs are as good to what he inherited and he has had to go back to what he inherited to improve his strikers.

Has Houston improved our squad ?

He has for sure stopped the youth policy of players coming through to first team, as we now sell players who barely kick a ball for us

Yeah so surely it would've been a better idea to plan for this and instead of pishing money down the drain on the likes of Fraser Airds wages last season save it up so we can make a real go of it this season. 

Whilst Houston also has a lot to answer for I doubt he has much say in players getting flogged off before they make the first team.

As everyone has pretty much said tonight is going to be interesting. I'm going to guess this'll follow the same pattern as last years with a 'presentation' from Houston and a board member doing their bit to guilt trip those in attendance

What I want to know from the BoD in particular is what position we took on this Project Brave and how much it's costing us. I have a hunch (based on nothing) that's where a fair chunk of cash has been earmarked too

4 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Yeah so surely it would've been a better idea to plan for this and instead of pishing money down the drain on the likes of Fraser Airds wages last season save it up so we can make a real go of it this season. 

Whilst Houston also has a lot to answer for I doubt he has much say in players getting flogged off before they make the first team.

It wasn't a dig at players getting sold before making the first team, its not just coincidence that the players coming through under Houston tenure, that all of them have made not much a note in the first team, the likes of Blair and Botti are really the only players that have come through, the latter only because his failing in the transfer market. Our business model has been drawn on basically selling a player we bring through, yet under Houston we aren't bringing anyone through, our team is made up of league jobbers

Edited by MrDust

57 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Give them hell tonight boys.

Think you may be expecting too much - after all wasn't it last year where someone with a straight face asked why players weren't being signed from the Juniors. On that basis I fully anticipate a question on how many Stirling Uni players is Houston planning to bring in.

And someone having a full on meltdown over Saturday proclaiming it the "worst result ever" and telling Houston "to gtf"

24 minutes ago, drs said:

Think you may be expecting too much - after all wasn't it last year where someone with a straight face asked why players weren't being signed from the Juniors.

Bit of a waste of a question but there are some rough diamonds out there. Ross Stewart of St Mirren was at Kilwinning 15 months ago.