The Falkirk FC Thread

And again you've not answered the question.  Would you put your money in?  Given pretty much everyone on here seems to say they won't put in a tenner a month or whatever it is, would you put hundreds of thousands in if you had it? Nobody "invests" in a football club ffs. They donate money out of stupidity, ego-trip or when it's a drop in the ocean. 

Sensible investment in any business gets a return.

And again you've not answered the question.  Would you put your money in?  Given pretty much everyone on here seems to say they won't put in a tenner a month or whatever it is, would you put hundreds of thousands in if you had it?
Nobody "invests" in a football club ffs. They donate money out of stupidity, ego-trip or when it's a drop in the ocean. 
ETA just noticed above - you say the board had to put money in before, and then say it's an investment that provides a return.  Surely if it was an investment they would have done so willingly, rather than have to do so?

Alexander bankrolled us in 2004/5 with his initial large share purchase. Not been anything from any of that group recently I understand. They didn't need to put cash in they could have let the club go to the wall. However they were investing because the loans were 5% above base. Much better than putting cash into most other investments

16 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Alexander bankrolled us in 2004/5 with his initial large share purchase. Not been anything from any of that group recently I understand. They didn't need to put cash in they could have let the club go to the wall. However they were investing because the loans were 5% above base. Much better than putting cash into most other investments

What do you think a commercial loan for company such as Falkirk would be?  Again, with no assets to secure and no predictable profit?  It would be a lot more than 5% above base, and the reason for that is it's a stupid loan at any price - or one driven out of loyalty or ego, or good money after bad.  It certainly isn't balancing risk and return. 

Look, I appreciate you putting money into the club, but I think it's an idiotic thing to do if you're expecting any more than novelty value.  And your responses still smack of "I've put money in, but the directors aren't putting anything in."  They already have, and they don't NEED to put more in.

If you think directors aren't exercising their fiduciary duties properly, by all means complain.  But don't bitch about people, particularly our biggest backer in recent years, not putting more money in.

Edited by Disco Duck

18 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Sensible investment in any business gets a return.

And water is wet.  What a completely fatuous comment.

If only someone would tell the private equity industry, they just need to invest SENSIBLY!  Easy really!

7 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I'm so sorry guys. Losing to Dunfermline seems to have left you all flying off the deep end.

You'll still end up in the top four, likely 2nd/3rd. United will skoosh the league. 

Had bugger all to do with Dunfermline, we were already in meltdown post St Mirren thank you very much. What on earth makes you think we are calm and level headed enough to wait 3 league games before proclaiming doom? 

My main gripe with the bod is that we seem to be cutting budgets now that  we have a decent chance of winning the league. The last 3 seasons we've had Hearts, Rangers and Hibs. Very little chance of competing with them budget wise but the first of those seasons apart we've seen a continual reduction in the quality of the side and now when those three have all headed off to the top flight we seem to be tightening our belts . Surely if this was going to be the case we should have been keeping things tight over the past few seasons until now and then using the extra cash to produce a side that can win the league . We've lost 6 or 7  players and brought in 2 and we're relying on an 18 year old left back . Now whether Houston has spent the cash wisely ( I think we all know that isnt the case) is another thing but its disappointing to see that when the chance to win the league is there we seem to be unable to fund a team to achieve that .

28 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I know you beat us last time out but the cracks were there to see. Clever play by a couple of subs dug Houston out of a hole. 

I think a lot of teams, no matter the level they are coming from, find the championship difficult to play in when coming from another division. Pars last season was a prime example. They looked good pre-season and then came un-stuck when the league proper kicked off, not really looking good till the 2nd half of the season. They looked like we do this season, like they had completely under-estimated the level of the league. St Mirren, DU, Hibs and Rangers all found it tougher than they expected to and we had a lot of results that looked decent on paper but were playing against sides that were struggling to adapt (Or in the case of Hibs, playing managerial merry-go-round to extend that process out even further). Last season against DU at the stadium I believe this was the case, they were struggling and we took advantage of that fact. The first game where Van Der Velden was doing keepie uppies on the halfway line at 1-1 really underlined some of the problems their team had last season regarding understanding which division they had ended up in and the level of work that was going to be required to get out of it.

The tragic thing, from our perspective, is that it looks like we've managed to do the same. Houston currently looks like he's assumed that Hibs, Rangers and Hearts being out of the division would weaken it to the extent that he can get away with fielding players like an aging Mark Kerr, Lee Miller and crowbar make-shift players into a variety of positions while still walking to the title. I don't know how but he's failed to realise that the strength of the championship isn't just the big teams that had all dropped down from the Premier league. If it was, they would have been 20 odd points ahead of everyone, as a group, and wouldn't have dropped any points except to each other.

Just now, PipoIsABairn said:

I think a lot of teams, no matter the level they are coming from, find the championship difficult to play in when coming from another division. Pars last season was a prime example. They looked good pre-season and then came un-stuck when the league proper kicked off, not really looking good till the 2nd half of the season. They looked like we do this season, like they had completely under-estimated the level of the league. St Mirren, DU, Hibs and Rangers all found it tougher than they expected to and we had a lot of results that looked decent on paper but were playing against sides that were struggling to adapt (Or in the case of Hibs, playing managerial merry-go-round to extend that process out even further). Last season against DU at the stadium I believe this was the case, they were struggling and we took advantage of that fact. The first game where Van Der Velden was doing keepie uppies on the halfway line at 1-1 really underlined some of the problems their team had last season regarding understanding which division they had ended up in and the level of work that was going to be required to get out of it.

The tragic thing, from our perspective, is that it looks like we've managed to do the same. Houston currently looks like he's assumed that Hibs, Rangers and Hearts being out of the division would weaken it to the extent that he can get away with fielding players like an aging Mark Kerr, Lee Miller and crowbar make-shift players into a variety of positions while still walking to the title. I don't know how but he's failed to realise that the strength of the championship isn't just the big teams that had all dropped down from the Premier league. If it was, they would have been 20 odd points ahead of everyone, as a group, and wouldn't have dropped any points except to each other.

Early days. You guys have these moments most seasons - a few wins and it's all forgotten. If you look back a few weeks Pars fans were saying similar stuff (the we looked to be under strength and were relying on reshuffling the squad and expecting fringe players from last year to become starters). Seems to have worked so far though. Cardle on the left and Williamson on the right were fringe players last year but have come in and played well. 

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

Early days. You guys have these moments most seasons - a few wins and it's all forgotten. If you look back a few weeks Pars fans were saying similar stuff (the we looked to be under strength and were relying on reshuffling the squad and expecting fringe players from last year to become starters). Seems to have worked so far though. Cardle on the left and Williamson on the right were fringe players last year but have come in and played well. 

Williamson looks good from what i've seen so far. 

2 minutes ago, PipoIsABairn said:

Williamson looks good from what i've seen so far. 

Missing out on McMullan to Dundee United was a blessing IMO. Williamson and Higgy look really handy on the right. A bad leg break halted Williamson's progress for a year or so but he looks to be getting back to his seaside league form. 

10 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

We are 500 ST's down - not my doing. I would presume most who have not bought have done so because of perceived lack of ambition and poor product on the pitch. Certainly that was the feedback the club got when the did a phone round.

Sorry BPM, but both these claims are wrong.

Firstly, 500 existing season ticket holders didn't renew. That was partially balanced out by a surprisingly high number of people who bought season tickets for the first time ever. We're not 500 down on overall numbers.

The feedback on WHY they didn't renew was that most of them had personal reasons for doing so - family commitments, different work patterns, finances etc. I was in the office at the time and spoke to the girl who'ld just finished doing the phoning round. She didn't have any reason to lie to me.

17 minutes ago, PipoIsABairn said:

I think the way you have to look at is as been mentioned the board seem to be cutting the budget in the assumption we can put up a challenge with no Hibs and Rangers in the league and said that will do you, also as you mention about an aging Kerr and Miller are they not assisting with development squad and under 19s or something so theres 2 jobs  used with 1 person in each saving 2 wages is how they will be looking at it.

One thing i will say nothing against Sheps and hate to be negative towards a player but i think he's a salary that could have been used elsewhere but same time i dont think he would be on that much surely. 

Shepps and Watson should've been let go to imo.

Rodgers, Leahy, Aird, Baird, McHugh and Mcracken on a lesser wage as fitness coach all of the wage bill replaced by Mitchell, Harris and Loy.

Board has a lot to answer for this evening.