The Falkirk FC Thread

19 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

If someone signed a PG they could easily borrow the cash.

Absolute nonsense.  Who would sign a pg against a presumably decades long funding of an asset from which they are not seeing a return? To what end?

And why would it be accepted?  How could they be known to be good for the money?

13 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

It is not just about the SS.

Where we are is no coincidence IMO.

He and Ritchie are the best of buddies and make all the meaningful decisions at the club. They are not investing and are not going to. They are the brainchild of the Pressley experiment which merely sold players to survive not to prosper.

It will get to a stage soon where it will hardly worthwhile going to see the team as all we do is sell to survive. The Kingsley money will have filled part of the gap. I think something else will have to happen before the end of the window to fill the whole gap. I hope I am wrong.

In both this and your comment above you show your real animus here BPM - our directors have money and choose not to spunk it down the drain of a football club. Would you?  I wouldn't.  I might do something similar to SA, a one-off equity contribution.  But again?  And again?  Until the club has done what football clubs do - taken all my money?  No thank you.

i can understand gripes about directors not being competent in running a business, but not in people being sensible enough not to throw good money after bad.

ETA - and nor do I think we should want someone like that...a Melville, a Murray, a Romanov, a Mileson etc etc.  Short term gain for long term pain.

Edited by Disco Duck

It is not just about the SS.

Where we are is no coincidence IMO.

He and Ritchie are the best of buddies and make all the meaningful decisions at the club. They are not investing and are not going to. They are the brainchild of the Pressley experiment which merely sold players to survive not to prosper.

It will get to a stage soon where it will hardly worthwhile going to see the team as all we do is sell to survive. The Kingsley money will have filled part of the gap. I think something else will have to happen before the end of the window to fill the whole gap. I hope I am wrong.

I think we all know what that something else will be. Gallagher will be sold & for buttons too. Only hope scouts watched his Dunfermline performance, rather than the other league matches.

However for teams like Swansea a few hundred thousand a drop in the ocean considering they can sell a player on for much more than they shelled out. The've already made a healthy profit on the FFC players they bought with Kingsley moving on.

I'm all for us selling players on but I would be nice to actually see them play for us for a decent amount of time tho.

We will have the second biggest budget in the league this season, how much more do you want to give him to spend on Kevin McHattie or Paul Dixon?

It wouldn't matter who the manager is he wouldn't see a penny of it

In both this and your comment above you show your real animus here BPM - our directors have money and choose not to spunk it down the drain of a football club. Would you?  I wouldn't.  I might do something similar to SA, a one-off equity contribution.  But again?  And again?  Until the club has done what football clubs do - taken all my money?  No thank you.

i can understand gripes about directors not being competent in running a business, but not in people being sensible enough not to throw good money after bad.

ETA - and nor do I think we should want someone like that...a Melville, a Murray, a Romanov, a Mileson etc etc.  Short term gain for long term pain.

Hold on a minute.

They made some horrific decisions the two years leading up to getting relegated. That meant we got relegated and lost £1m in one season. Their decisions meant they had to fill the hole building up huge soft loans which were at a considerable extra cost than borrowing from other sources. In that time the then Chairman says unless we get the the Premier league this club can't generate enough cash without selling players or significant cup runs. He said it on many occasions.

We has a bumper year in 2015 and made £1.2m.

The choice then is two fold

1. Take back soft loans then and pay off the pitch

2. Hand onto our cash (the FD says it on video on YouTube that cash is king in football after that AGM) and invest if in the team to get us up once the big clubs have gone.

Remember what the Chairman had said in many occasions " the club only wipes ifs feet without player sales and cup runs in the premier league"

To me at the point we had the ready cash and you are thinking about the long term future of the club there is only option 2 that is sensible. Once up part one can be fulfilled.

This MSG chose option 1. We are two years on and as many predicted we are back into the if it has a pulse and wears a blue jersey let's sell it.

At some point our support will wake up and actually see where the fundamental problem at the club lies.

Unless we get new investment and different people making the decisions we will stagnate. They are not bad people just happy to plod along. I want more for our club and I think most supporters do too. Been my view for the best part of ten years and nothing that has happened in the interim time has changed that view. They have had 20 years to make this work and have failed.

16 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

It wouldn't matter who the manager is he wouldn't see a penny of it

If we're running at a loss then good, let's not hand more over to the manager. There is a budget in place from the BoD to be competitive in the league. We can't make an even bigger loss because the squad is unbalanced or not up to scratch.

If we're running at a loss then good, let's not hand more over to the manager. There is a budget in place from the BoD to be competitive in the league. We can't make an even bigger loss because the squad is unbalanced or not up to scratch.

Well sack the fucking manager then FFS. Do something to sort it out. Jesus Christ they have had 20 years trying to get the business to work. Anyone competent would surely have sussed it by now

Just now, Back Post Misses said:

This MSG chose option 1. We are two years on and as many predicted we are back into the if it has a pulse and wears a blue jersey let's sell it.

We haven't sold a player for cash since Vaulks last summer?

We haven't sold a player for cash since Vaulks last summer?

We have had add ons from Kingsley though which have been significant. And a shed load is about to drop from his transfer today

Just now, Back Post Misses said:

We have had add ons from Kingsley though which have been significant. And a shed load is about to drop from his transfer today

How does Swansea selling a player count as "if it has a pulse and wears a blue jersey let's sell it"? 

7 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Hold on a minute.

They made some horrific decisions the two years leading up to getting relegated. That meant we got relegated and lost £1m in one season. Their decisions meant they had to fill the hole building up huge soft loans which were at a considerable extra cost than borrowing from other sources. In that time the then Chairman says unless we get the the Premier league this club can't generate enough cash without selling players or significant cup runs. He said it on many occasions.

We has a bumper year in 2015 and made £1.2m.

The choice then is two fold

1. Take back soft loans then and pay off the pitch

2. Hand onto our cash (the FD says it on video on YouTube that cash is king in football after that AGM) and invest if in the team to get us up once the big clubs have gone.

Remember what the Chairman had said in many occasions " the club only wipes ifs feet without player sales and cup runs in the premier league"

To me at the point we had the ready cash and you are thinking about the long term future of the club there is only option 2 that is sensible. Once up part one can be fulfilled.

At some point our support will wake up and actually see where the fundamental problem at the club lies.

Unless we get new investment and different people making the decisions we will stagnate. They are not bad people just happy to plod along. I want more for our club and I think most supporters do too. Been my view for the best part of ten years and nothing that has happened in the interim time has changed that view. They have had 20 years to make this work and have failed.

And as I said, I can understand gripes (albeit subjective ones) that directors aren't running the business well.  But I ask again - if you had the spare cash, would you throw large amounts of it at a football club?  Because chances are if you would, you'll be poorer very quickly.

We've not got money to sack the manager, his contract expires at the end of the season. What part of this are you not getting?

We are 500 ST's down - not my doing. I would presume most who have not bought have done so because of perceived lack of ambition and poor product on the pitch. Certainly that was the feedback the club got when the did a phone round. 500 ST is c100k. Not my fault, not yours. That is money lost to the club that a Board of Directors could have foreseen and taken action to prevent.

If the product on the pitch is shit then we lose revenue. It happens every time at Falkirk and would you believe at every other club too. What part are you not getting ?

We are 500 ST's down - not my doing. I would presume most who have not bought have done so because of perceived lack of ambition and poor product on the pitch. Certainly that was the feedback the club got when the did a phone round. 500 ST is c100k. Not my fault, not yours. That is money lost to the club that a Board of Directors could have foreseen and taken action to prevent.

If the product on the pitch is shit then we lose revenue. It happens every time at Falkirk and would you believe at every other club too. What part are you not getting ?

I didn't see any lack of ambition from the club/board this season. For the first time in a while we've not lost a key player being pinched by another club, and have recruited well in signing Loy (albeit with external help).

Where the club/manager lacks ambition is by signing on the likes of Shepherd for 2 years, Kerr and Miller on first team wages, not signing a full back and not signing a commanding centre half, who'd have replaced Watson for me.

Where we lack ambition is playing Muirhead/Gasperotto at right back with Tom Taiwo at right mid. Continually playing Kerr (not Kerrs fault btw).

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wouldn't give Houston another penny to fritter away on absolute dug meat. He's had more than an adequate budget to do what is required this year and fucked it.

And as I said, I can understand gripes (albeit subjective ones) that directors aren't running the business well.  But I ask again - if you had the spare cash, would you throw large amounts of it at a football club?  Because chances are if you would, you'll be poorer very quickly.

They had to before because of their poor decisions. If we didn't get this cash from Kingsley and probably another sale they would most likely have to do it again anyway or we would go pop. They have had 20 years to sort this. We even sold Brockville because it would only raise money for the club 1 day a fortnight and look at the c**t they have made of that.

Let's not think either investing in a football club doesn't get you business contacts and your cash back in other ways. People will put money into football to get those contacts and revenue streams. It is not simply pouring money down a hole.

I didn't see any lack of ambition from the club/board this season. For the first time in a while we've not lost a key player being pinched by another club, and have recruited well in signing Loy (albeit with external help).

Where the club/manager lacks ambition is by signing on the likes of Shepherd for 2 years, Kerr and Miller on first team wages, not signing a full back and not signing a commanding centre half, who'd have replaced Watson for me.

Where we lack ambition is playing Muirhead/Gasperotto at right back with Tom Taiwo at right mid. Continually playing Kerr (not Kerrs fault btw).

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wouldn't give Houston another penny to fritter away on absolute dug meat. He's had more than an adequate budget to do what is required this year and fucked it.

No lack of ambition? You are having a laugh right?

Our ex-MD got at least one thing right when he said the MS of Falkirk would rather we were Dumbarton (with all respect to them) than St.Johnstone

7 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

They had to before because of their poor decisions. If we didn't get this cash from Kingsley and probably another sale they would most likely have to do it again anyway or we would go pop. They have had 20 years to sort this. We even sold Brockville because it would only raise money for the club 1 day a fortnight and look at the c**t they have made of that.

Let's not think either investing in a football club doesn't get you business contacts and your cash back in other ways. People will put money into football to get those contacts and revenue streams. It is not simply pouring money down a hole.

And again you've not answered the question.  Would you put your money in?  Given pretty much everyone on here seems to say they won't put in a tenner a month or whatever it is, would you put hundreds of thousands in if you had it?

Nobody "invests" in a football club ffs. They donate money out of stupidity, ego-trip or when it's a drop in the ocean. 

ETA just noticed above - you say the board had to put money in before, and then say it's an investment that provides a return.  Surely if it was an investment they would have done so willingly, rather than have to do so?

Edited by Disco Duck