The Falkirk FC Thread

44 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I am calling bullshit on that. Of course the club want the cash, but if they do not allow him to sign, the offer is esentially withdrawn and we would not be entitled to any compo. If Sibbald wants to come back he will. I don't know how many other clubs in League 2 could afford the compo anyway, Luton are one of the best supported teams down there and his lack of pace/physicality means League 1 teams aren't going to be interested. If the Luton manager doesn't think he is worth the compo after a weeks trial it is unlikely other managers in the division will think he is either.

As far as I know because  we have made him an offer and he hasn't chosen to sign it , we don't then definitely have to sign him now. We could move on and he has then the choice of doing nowt for a year or finding another club willing to pay us the comp. 

The whole Luton thing seems to have been an utter waste of time. He only got limited game time the other night and surely giving him more game time on Sat wouldve given them a better view of him.  You wonder if they were ever going to seriously sign him.

As far as I know because  we have made him an offer and he hasn't chosen to sign it , we don't then definitely have to sign him now. We could move on and he has then the choice of doing nowt for a year or finding another club willing to pay us the comp. 
The whole Luton thing seems to have been an utter waste of time. He only got limited game time the other night and surely giving him more game time on Sat wouldve given them a better view of him.  You wonder if they were ever going to seriously sign him.

Why would the club treat a player who played his first game for us at 16, way before he was ready by the way, like that?

I like Loy but let's not forget he fucked off for more cash but has been welcomed back like some sort of returning messiah.

He deserves to be treated well. I think the Board have treated him shabbily.

53 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Why would the club treat a player who played his first game for us at 16, way before he was ready by the way, like that?

I like Loy but let's not forget he fucked off for more cash but has been welcomed back like some sort of returning messiah.

Got to remember players only have a limited career and they obviously want to do the best for what they think is a career and money move as any of us would as for Sibbs as you said the board want the cash as am pretty sure did they not aim for a player sale each season.

cant claim to know ins and outs of it but agree with you but end of the day they are businessmen (alledgedly) and as any of us know as far as employers go there is no loyalty with them its a one way street that one.

when Houston said he spoke to him for advice when he was interviewed then there and then its not right if he had doubts at the start, I couldnt fault Sibbs at all just been unfortunate the way its been panned out as he seems to be stuck between club and agent.

I sometimes wonder about our board if they genuinely want us to be in the Premiership or are content with a challenge each year in the championship and selling a player/cashing in to keep things on track for a bit cash.

Said this for years, the playoffs always appear to be our limit and focus.

IMO, DU have their sights set to get out this league this season despite all the skint stories etc.

Although we have started well this season we still do not appear to have that "this is our time" feel as our signing actions have suggested to me. Not trying to be controversial or on the wind up here, still think we are well short of champions material. The only hope we have is DU mirror last season's miserable performance.

Remember this is only my own opinion. We could be doing with another RB, LB and another decent striker - not another import from the under 20s. Loy apart up front and Austin as a developing back up we are still light weight. I can't in my wildest dreams imagine O'Hara, Shepherd and Hippo ever going to score enough goals that will allow us to win this league outright.

I think the BOD agree with me too, winning the league will take more investment and I think we had our fingers burned in the past and are frightened to go there again.

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Where did i say that?I was simply replying to a post that I thought was inaccurate . Navybluearmy1876 stated that if we didnt let him sign we would not be able to get compensation. I replied that as far as I know that is not the case. I never said we would or should do that at any point though.

It has a feeling of this is our time but should have in brackets after it (on a budget with a hope that a couple of youngsters come good and give us someone to sell).

I do think if we do get promoted this season then there will need to be a rebuilding job or significant investment in the team if they are serious about staying in the Premiership.

Interesting seeing people chatting about whether the board see us as a premiership outfit or not. I've often wondered if premier league clubs find it difficult to bring through youngsters because the level is that little bit higher which forces them to instead bring in more experienced players to survive. At our level we can play a Sibbald or a Gallacher in the first team very early on in their development and not worry about them having a massive detrimental effect on the team or results. Players in the premiership, outside of the old firm, seem to be at a slightly later stage in their development and there appears to be less younger lads coming through directly into the first team. It seems to be a fairly unique point for our club that we have a relatively good youth team that can feed directly into our first team because the gap between first team championship level and youth level maybe isn't quite as large. Lower division clubs will have an even smaller gap but many can't afford to invest as much into the youth setup and aren't necessarily as attractive a prospect for decent young players. I wonder if being a division up would change that and maybe cause us problems in terms of longer term development? For me personally i'm stuck in that middle ground between wanting us to win the division but not really wanting to play in the premiership as I don't think it's a good league to watch or compete in. Do we really want to get turned over by Aberdeen, Celtic and Rangers for 12 games a season while paying out more wages to battle against relegation, hoping to make the split and then play a bunch of meaningless games at the end of the season? I noticed that Hibs have released Handling, following sending out Stanton on loan and giving us Harris for free. A few years back they had pretty high hopes for all three of them and I wonder, if they had gotten marooned much longer in the Championship, whether they would have started to appear in the first team when the budget got tighter. 

Between some of the comments here and on that FB page I do wonder about our fans sometimes.

If Sibbs signs back on, which I hope he does, he's a first pick on the park. Where? Taiwo currently but also remember Hippo will do his usual 2 good games to 3 quiet ones ratio.

Hopefully he's back in the squad come Paisley next week.

8 hours ago, RC55 FFC said:

Between some of the comments here and on that FB page I do wonder about our fans sometimes.

If Sibbs signs back on, which I hope he does, he's a first pick on the park. Where? Taiwo currently but also remember Hippo will do his usual 2 good games to 3 quiet ones ratio.

Hopefully he's back in the squad come Paisley next week.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I don't think anyone's going to come out of this one smelling of roses.

That implies Sibbald has done wrong. What is he guilty of? Trying to better himself? He owes Falkirk nothing. This mess lies completely at the feet of our Directors/Shareholders

13 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

That implies Sibbald has done wrong. What is he guilty of? Trying to better himself? He owes Falkirk nothing. This mess lies completely at the feet of our Directors/Shareholders

What "mess"?  How is this a mess?  We offer a player - a good servant of the club - a contract, he wants to try his luck elsewhere.  Good luck to him, and as a bonus we're due compensation.

He wants to come back having not worked out, regardless of reason?  Are you sure? Yes...bonus for fans, we have a good player back.

What precisely were the board supposed to do here?

Sibbald staying would be huge for us. Anyone that can't see that is putting far too much faith in a promising pre season & the signing of one player in my opinion. Some even suggesting that it might be difficult fitting him into the team and that he would be a good option from the bench!!

The guy is quality! The more players we have in his category, the more chance of winning the league.

Also I doubt that anymore signings would be made if he did leave and seriously doubt what quality they would be.

What "mess"?  How is this a mess?  We offer a player - a good servant of the club - a contract, he wants to try his luck elsewhere.  Good luck to him, and as a bonus we're due compensation.
He wants to come back having not worked out, regardless of reason?  Are you sure? Yes...bonus for fans, we have a good player back.

The board could & should have honoured the contract offered to him & let him sign the thing when he came back last week.

Instead, play the guilt trip on him saying we'd rather have the cash for him & to keep looking.

We could have had another settled & quality player in the squad with a chance of being fairly fit to face St Mirren.

Plan things not always for the short term.

Don't let costs run away in the last 8 months when Ronnie Bateman resigned because of Henderson.

Offer him a contract that shows the club has ambition to get to the Premiership. To replace Sibbald's quality it will cost more than retaining him.

The board are desperate for Sibs to leave as they're desperate for money, the club is not in a good financial place. They knew the offer thats on the table for him would force him to move that's the reality, the boy deserved better IMO. That being said the club needs to survive and Sibs & Gallagher are our 2 most prized assets to strip. Which is what's happening. We need a change at board level with new blood and investment coming in and to renegotiate TFS position.