The Falkirk FC Thread

If St Mirren are signing players from Albion Rovers and Alloa, then it'll be up a step in for those players in terms of wages - which means they would probably be keen to sign ASAP. I would expect us to have signings in early if we'd bid for someone at Stenhousemuir. As we did with Fash from East Fife. 

We may be trying to attract a higher calibre of player, which makes it harder to secure them. Lets wait and see.  

After all, we've got over two months before the first league game of the season. It's a wee bit early to be worrying about the lack of signings. 

I'd like a Scott MacDonald Stephen dobbie or Rory loy type striker signed.

Does Bairds contract roll over at the same pay or was the club allowed to offer him less just wondered why he's delaying signing unless he's cheesed at the fans not loving him as much now and exploring options

6 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

If St Mirren are signing players from Albion Rovers and Alloa, then it'll be up a step in for those players in terms of wages - which means they would probably be keen to sign ASAP. I would expect us to have signings in early if we'd bid for someone at Stenhousemuir. As we did with Fash from East Fife. 

We may be trying to attract a higher calibre of player, which makes it harder to secure them. Lets wait and see.  

After all, we've got over two months before the first league game of the season. It's a wee bit early to be worrying about the lack of signings. 

At the end of the day, Jack Ross realises that he's got to go with a bigger squad over this season. Everyone knew he wanted a couple of 'project' players and both Ross Stewarts seem to fit this bill.

I reckon those we've signed so far, Cammy Smith aside, are being brought to challenge for places from the fringes as we have the core of a first team already signed up. Give me guys who are young, hungry and wanting to make the step up over washed up duds looking for a last payday.

Falkrk got it on the money with Nathan Austin, a player who was doing it at League 1 level who I would have liked to have seen in the stripes. Ross Stewart isn't an expensive gamble and those who have seen him all agree there's a player in there, if a bit raw. He apparently took a bit of a sore one last season but a return of 12 league goals from 22 starts and 3 sub appearances is not too bad at all. We've apparently nicked him from under the noses of Kilmarnock as well so there is hopefully something there with the lad.

I reckon we're still a long way from finished as well and the more established players will almost certainly follow. Rory Loy is a name that keeps cropping up in relation to us and he's certainly someone that every St. Mirren fan would love to see back.

2 hours ago, FalkirkLad said:

Tbf if you look on the St Mirren website they said 12 in 72 I was just going from that, fair play if its 12 in 25 not bad for someone his age.

I think St. Mirren made the same mistake I initially did in that they've taken their stats from Transfermarkt, who have evidently mixed Ross Stewart the forward with Ross Stewart the goalie in 2015/16. Ross Stewart the forward wasn't with Albion Rovers that season but the Keeper was and was ever present but they've pinned the keeper's stats to the striker's profile... so whilst 36 starts and no goals might look shite for a centre forward, it's no bad for a keeper. :lol:

Edited by djchapsticks

Off topic, but whenever I hear the Gasparotto song being sung I have chuckle and wonder what you are thinking (and whether you join in)

I'm never sure what to make of it when I hear that song. Is it a subtle attempt at sarcasm by our own fans directed at the board? Or do people really rate him? Or just a name that conveniently fits with the song?

Staying well clear of suggesting what he might be eating, I do hope he starts next season in better shape. Although seeing him in a strip gives me a glimpse of what I look like in a kit & I resist the temptation to squeeze myself into one so I am grateful for that.

Back on topic...I can't believe we are offering Baird a contract? I wish we weren't but more unbelievable is him apparently delaying signing it!

A few points re the last few posts.

I agree re Buchanan being pish. Was pointing out that they'd announced signings today - Buchanan and the striker Stewart were announced together.

Austin was a January signing, not sure if you would count that as really "early". I think the timing was dead on to sign him and he'll be a big player for us next year after a full preseason.

I shake my head at the Gasparotto song and don't join in. Opinions on here look to have converged with mine re his ability.

My concern isn't the lack of signings. I think I say this every year but I'd rather make no signings than signing players who aren't good enough. We're filling the squad with more of the same after the largely dross campaign which has just finished.

2 hours ago, FalkirkLad said:

I just really want a striker similar to the way Simon Murray plays, in those play off games he made me scared anytime he picked up the ball near our box, as much as I love Austin I don't think he does that.

I dinnae really rate Murray that much tbh, neither have UTDs managers. He is like Shepherd with a better build for me, tho he has been stop start, Shepherds been stop since the Holt season.

When we were struggling, i suggested we needed Loy to rescue our season and perhaps show a bit of ambition. We would be playing Hamilton on Sunday if we did, as far as i am concerned and a lot closer or challenged Hibs.

We are all kidding ourselves if anyone is expecting a big signing. It will be more of the same

13 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

How is he similar to Shepherd other than being ginger?

aye pretty much this, Murray picks up the ball just off the centre circle and defenders back off every time, i think the spittal goals says it all, 5 players around him and no one picking up the wide man, shite defending i know but they also clearly identified him as the big threat.

Although on the subject of Shepherd I actually want to see him play a lot of the pre season and Betfred cup just to see if there is a player in there to warrant the 2 year deal.

aye pretty much this, Murray picks up the ball just off the centre circle and defenders back off every time, i think the spittal goals says it all, 5 players around him and no one picking up the wide man, shite defending i know but they also clearly identified him as the big threat.
Although on the subject of Shepherd I actually want to see him play a lot of the pre season and Betfred cup just to see if there is a player in there to warrant the 2 year deal.

I forgot about the betfred cup that nearly put me off going back three penalties at Perth losing to stirling Albion. Realising kidd and Rankin were the new hope. hope we get off to a better start this season

4 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

I forgot about the betfred cup that nearly put me off going back three penalties at Perth losing to stirling Albion. Realising kidd and Rankin were the new hope. hope we get off to a better start this season

Aye hopefully get a fairly easy group so we can test out new signings (if any) and young players e.g Shephard, O'Hara etc. The less said about the cup last year the better

Murray has improved a lot this season. Looked more like shepherd at the start of the season but played well against us in the two playoff games.

Surely only two things would stop us getting Loy.  Houston not wanting him or the bod not spending the cash to get him. He loved it here the first time around and is Lee Miller not one of his best mates?

Edited by Shadwell Dog

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Lee Miller is my best mate and iv never even met him so dont read too much into that.

No seriously as far as I know miller and loy are very good friends.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Can't stop laughing at some of the comments regarding Murray.

He's better than anything Falkirk had that's for sure, regarding Loy, Why would he come back? 

The Manager and the B.o.d really need to sign a player, or preferably two or three player's so that we can actually believe we are trying to get promoted. Livingston will end up with a better pool of player's.

Maybe we're just waiting on answers from a few well regarded prospect's and the league will be ours for the taking? 

1 hour ago, Trump said:

People will find any reason to moan, might take a note of the poster and what moan they may have. Add it up before the first competitive game and poster with the most moans wins a prize. My money is on Shadwell, a man who would be miserable if he won the lottery.

There's not been much arguing going on here . The majority seem to have the same views on what is required for the new season.

There's not been much arguing going on here . The majority seem to have the same views on what is required for the new season.

A new manager, a new squad and a new board! Also less ramblings from our Chairman and less hot tubs. Not too much to ask?