The Falkirk FC Thread

If we have genuinely serious ambitions of challenging for the title next season, we have to be signing players of a much higher quality than Sam Stanton. Another bang average Championship midfielder will not lead to progress. 

If we have genuinely serious ambitions of challenging for the title next season, we have to be signing players of a much higher quality than Sam Stanton. Another bang average Championship midfielder will not lead to progress. 

Plays the same role as Kerr who is 12 years older than Stanton.

Dumbarton fans raving about him last season.

With respect you will have seen him 3/4 times tops.

I thought Stanton was more attacking than Kerr and would be a replacement for Sibbald maybe? By all accounts he was Dumbarton's POTY so I'm willing to give him a shot at least. Smacks of a lack of imagination yet again though.

Ex Hibs or Hearts [emoji736]
Small midfielder who doesn't fit the system [emoji736]
Spent time on loan at a part time club [emoji736]

I thought Stanton was more attacking than Kerr and would be a replacement for Sibbald maybe? By all accounts he was Dumbarton's POTY so I'm willing to give him a shot at least. Smacks of a lack of imagination yet again though.

Agree, worryingly I think he may be a straight swap for Sibbald which unfortunately may mean the wee man is away very soon and a bid has come in. We can't keep hold of Sibbs forever. Only guessing though.

7 hours ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Sure Stanton still has another year on his deal, maybe we've worked out a deal to let him move on. Think he's had a decent season at Dumbarton.

Aye, heard it's 20k + Stanton for wee Sibbs. Decent deal for us. 

7 hours ago, hope street said:

You believe wrong mate.

I've got a couple of friends in and around the club who pass on snippets of info.

Nothing malicious intended, or trying to be a big shot by passing on what get toldemoji106.png

Fair enough. I must be wrong then and if I am I apologise.

However, I say that because you used to post a lot about a certain youth player, and once defended him by posting a newspaper cutting in his defence when someone on here slagged him off. Most normal fans don't keep newspaper cuttings about players.  

At the start of the season we played Albion Rovers in a friendly. You (as Hope Street) posted an image of the view from your seat on P&B. The same image - and comment - appeared on the social media of one of the youth players' fathers. I'd say that was pretty conclusive proof. 

Can do both roles by the sounds

13 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

McKee was excellent at right mid for the two games. Craigen and taiwo could be worth a bash in the middle.we need a right back and a quality striker to play with Austin. I reckon grant and muirhead would be a strong centrehalf partnership.

Get rid of the chaff and replace them with 3 better quality players instead of signing 4 or 5 mediocre ones.

I guess my point is that Craigen, McKee and Taiwo have been in the squad when we've been close but not close enough to getting up. Strong evidence that we need better IMO. Nothing against these guys at all, Craigen has done well to balance off some terrible performances with some important goals and both McKee and Taiwo are pretty solid and hard working players to have in the middle....just think they are 3 that we should be looking to combine wages to get someone much better - easier said than done of course as more money on the table doesn't always mean that a better quality would be willing to play for us in the championship.

Its a tough stance, particularly on Taiwo who has been a great ambassador as a player getting involved in everything he could when he was injured - but we need to improve to get where we want to be.

I would keep one of Taiwo/McKee. I think McKee is slightly better but that injury record puts me off.

Either guy could offer something individually to a title winning squad next season, but as you say as a collective the likes of those two, Craigen, Kerr is a bit uninspiring. I kind of feel the same about Stanton, it's another known quantity who is alright but doesn't jump off the page as being a big differential over our rivals.

Wouldn't mind seeing us go 4-2-3-1

Thomson

New RB Grant Watson/Gasparotto Gallagher

McKee/Taiwo New CM

Craigen Stanton Hippo

Austin

I'm assuming Sibbald and Leahy are leaving. Get in a RB who can get forward. Sign a player like Morgaro Gomis to play in midfield (not necessarily him). Play a narrow three and let them interchange. Full backs can give us width.

Punt Kidd, one of Gasparotto/Watson, one of McKee/Taiwo, McHugh, McCracken. I'd also punt Kerr but looks like he's getting a new deal.

Baird I can take or leave but sounds like he's staying. Miller and O'Hara are good back up options. Muirhead as the back up RB/CB. Either sign a cheap keeper or put a youth on the bench.

That should reduce the wage bill enough to sign a couple of difference makers. We should be looking for a Stainrod or Latapy type who can lift the whole team. My preference would be signing someone to play behind the striker along those lines.

"We should be looking for a Stainrod or Latapy type"
Who did you have in mind?

That's the problem eh. Scott MacDonald is the best I can do off the top of my head but he has always got by more in guile or instinct rather than great technique. Lee Trundle 5-10 years ago if we can find a time machine.