The Falkirk FC Thread

14 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

He doesn't work nearly as hard as Baird IMO. Baird can be awful but he rarely hides, he always shows where I think McHugh can disappear in games. IMO McHugh wont get another contract especially if Austin shows like he did on Saturday. 2nd half he ripped the Dundee Utd backline apart at times.

This is a tricky one for me.  Agree with your comparison that sometimes McHugh seems to disappear when on from the start, but he's been such a fantastic impact sub I'd like us to keep him and give him the chance to get more consistent...He's mobile, quick thinking and has shown he has a great instinct for being in the right place - with those sorts of attributes that's not someone we should let go IMO!!  But it is great to see Baird right back in scoring form again and his confidence is clearly up, so looks like he's re-gained effectiveness to add to his non-stop effort... Maybe the issue is the two of them are too similar physically, for the occasions when we need Plan B or C... When we would need someone different, like Austin - who looked a little nervy I thought, but promising.  (And a better prospect than Biabi at this stage).  Interesting few weeks ahead, hope we can keep our re-discovered momentum going.   

3 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Do you go to any development games?

It really is comparing men against boys.

Shepherd might do a job down the leagues but not at Falkirk.

Yes I do go to development games and yes there's is a decent gap between that and the first team but that doesnt stop other first teamers looking mediocre when their playing in those games whilst shepherd at least stands out. He then plays for the first team and rarely does anything. I'd have to think long and hard before I'd give him a new deal but Houston has offered him one so if noone else comes in (which is doubtful as they'll have to pay cash for him now) he'll be back with us next season.

IIRC Morgan only came on for about 5 mins against Hibs in the 3-3 game? He did look good (although he barely touched the ball), but it was hard to judge his ability which was quickly found out in the following matches.

Austin had a full 50 minutes against United and looked an exciting prospect. Composed to go round the keeper when through 1 on 1 as well. I very much doubt any player could be as bad as Morgan was any way 

Just now, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

IIRC Morgan only came on for about 5 mins against Hibs in the 3-3 game? He did look good (although he barely touched the ball), but it was hard to judge his ability which was quickly found out in the following matches.

Austin had a full 50 minutes against United and looked an exciting prospect. Composed to go round the keeper when through 1 on 1 as well. I very much doubt any player could be as bad as Morgan was any way 

The fact he was on trial and yet we still signed him was ridiculous. If it had been a rushed, panic signing then thats one thing but to actually give someone that pish a trial and then still sign them is criminal.

I dreaded the expected McHugh for Baird sub on Saturday but surprised and pleased it was Austin. We all know Bob's contribution to us has been super sub and for only a quarter of a season. Its time to look to the cash buy to get his chance and if he does onwards, I'm sure he will overtake Bob's measly 2 league goals total.

If Austin improves week by week and contributes, it will set us up for the season and set him up for next season, whilst still having Bob available from the bench, for him to do what he's done best if required.

Bob will be 26 in the summer and will be lucky to have 50 league starts in his career so far, I'd suggest those stats tell you more about his career, good lad in giving us some of the most mental moments ever, in which my heart is now saying keep him for next season....!!!

The head says no tho

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The fact he was on trial and yet we still signed him was ridiculous. If it had been a rushed, panic signing then thats one thing but to actually give someone that pish a trial and then still sign them is criminal.

Never pass up the chance for a wee moan ae Shadwell?

2 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Taylor Morgan's debut was one my favourites. In that five minutes he exemplified the "defend from the front" philosophy - chasing down obvious lost causes, pressuring the Hibs defence and got a couple of good blocks in to prevent Hibs punting the ball up the park. What a shame the only other contribution he ever made was making an arse of header attempt in the Hibs semi, allowing Sibbald to score.

Anyway, Austin's angled and diagonal runs on to balls over the top of the United defence was very Lyle Taylor-esque in my eyes. It's a tactic I haven't seen us use since, well, Lyle Taylor, and it was pretty effective. His aerial ability looked decent too, competing for many headers albeit not many of those were won. Early days yet, but he looks a much more complete player to me than Bob McHugh and I'd like to Austin gradually phased into the squad at the expense of McShug.