The Falkirk FC Thread

6 minutes ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

Personally I’d add McKee to the Deadwood Stagecoach out of town; hard to see what he offers now. 

I was thinking the same but i think he will be kept as a squad player, although looking at some that are away you could argue Taiwo and/or Longridge  would have been a better option from the bench than him. That said if Harris doesnt get punted McKee is prob an upgrade on him

43 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Not after one of his summer transfer bonanzas though... 

Out of Hartley's 3 full seasons with us, only his last transfer bonanza was a disaster and that was because we sold Hemmings and Stewart (In which Hemmings apparently had a clause that Hartley was unaware of). Not a bad strike rate. 

9 hours ago, FalkirkLad said:

Honestly think that Harrison is a cheap squad player, think if it’s 3 again it will be Muirhead, Dallison and McGhee.

Also I’d probably give it too Muirhead again just purely given his time with the club but Hartley will probably have someone in mind if it’s not him.

I cant see Harrison giving up a decent contract at Hartlepool to sign for us on the cheap.

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I cant see Harrison giving up a decent contract at Hartlepool to sign for us on the cheap.

If you listen to his interviews think the reason he left as he had things down there causing him issues he wanted away from.

1 minute ago, AL-FFC said:

If you listen to his interviews think the reason he left as he had things down there causing him issues he wanted away from.

Aye maybe but I still dont see him coming all the way up here to sign on the cheap. He'll be a on a decent contract and I doubt signed as simply a squad player.

It's good that we've got all these guys in for day one of pre-season training. They've got 6 weeks, friendlies and the diddy cup to be moulded into some kind of unit. I expect the loanees will come just before the season starts.

7 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

It's good that we've got all these guys in for day one of pre-season training. They've got 6 weeks, friendlies and the diddy cup to be moulded into some kind of unit. I expect the loanees will come just before the season starts.

Absolutely this. This is very important. Both for fitness and squad morale. Having them all (bar a few later ones hopefully) together at the start can only bode well.

Yes it's always difficult almost completely changing a squad, and we don't know much about most of these players, but it can work, and one thing I'm really thinking here is Hartley and his recruitment folk are working their fucking bollocks off to find the right type of players. One player signed from a local team, and the rest are from far and wide - Houston would have been the opposite, one if we were lucky from far and wide, and the rest the likes of Flood ( :lol::lol: ) and other jobbers released from teams within touching distance of us. I 100% believe we would have signed Willo Flood if Houston was still in charge.

Trust the Don. 

Flood would have been Houston's marquee signing on a two year deal.

I like Houston, I think he has good man-management skills and he was tactically aware (how many games did he turn around with his subs), but he was terrible at recruiting players. How on earth he got a scouting role at Celtic beggars belief. As a coach, Houston would be fine.

Mind the heady days of the 90s when you'd sign some fourth-division Eastern European jobber like Dragutin Ristic and have absolutely no idea how good they were because it was the days before YouTube? The excitement and the build-up because you genuinely didn't know if you'd got the next Marco van Basten or some absolute haddie?

Those were the days.

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Mind the heady days of the 90s when you'd sign some fourth-division Eastern European jobber like Dragutin Ristic and have absolutely no idea how good they were because it was the days before YouTube? The excitement and the build-up because you genuinely didn't know if you'd got the next Marco van Basten or some absolute haddie?

Those were the days.

To be fair you could probably come up with 30 seconds of Scott Shepperd looking like a player to post on You Tube.

6 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Flood would have been Houston's marquee signing on a two year deal.

I like Houston, I think he has good man-management skills and he was tactically aware (how many games did he turn around with his subs), but he was terrible at recruiting players. How on earth he got a scouting role at Celtic beggars belief. As a coach, Houston would be fine.

I agree. He'll always be a legend and I really like him. One season too many I think, and you're correct, his recruitment was appalling. 

2 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

To be fair you could probably come up with 30 seconds of Scott Shepperd looking like a player to post on You Tube.

and that was against Edinburgh City at Spartans at least seasons pre season friendly

Edited by AL-FFC

Those were the days.

I was actually thinking about that when yesterdays theatre was in full flow, trying to remember how we found out pre season who had signed etc. It must have just been a case of reading the sports pages every day.

I can definitely remember the daily record appearing each morning and firing past the turgid Old Firm drivel into the wee diddy team section seeking out any sort of Falkirk story during the season.

Eta, recall genuine excitement at the signing Sabatino De Massis......