The Falkirk FC Thread

Of the many, many outrageous OF decisions to go against us, the one that VAR would absolutely have resolved in our favour was in the famous Jimmy Gilmour game at Parkhead...Falkirk leading 1-0, 10-15 mins to go, Celtic had to win; Roy Aitken and ref Dougie Hope conspired to give a penalty against us with the worst, worst piece of blatant cheating by a referee I can recall in a match.

The supposed hand ball (which hit Jim Kerr on the back as he jumped up against a cross from the wing) was at least 3 feet outside the box, as can clearly be seen on the match highlights (still on youTube). But, the game's at Parkhead, and Roy wants a penalty, the home fans want a penalty, so after a brief spell of haranguing the ref - voila!  Roy gets his penalty... Home fans are happy, Roy is happy, so everything is alright with the world, and natural order against a diddy team is restored...

Sorry, no - it was an utter travesty; and there are plenty other examples, sadly. Fair to say I'd be pretty happy to see the use of VAR to put a stop to that sort of OF bias, so bring it on. 

Of the many, many outrageous OF decisions to go against us, the one that VAR would absolutely have resolved in our favour was in the famous Jimmy Gilmour game at Parkhead...Falkirk leading 1-0, 10-15 mins to go, Celtic had to win; Roy Aitken and ref Dougie Hope conspired to give a penalty against us with the worst, worst piece of blatant cheating by a referee I can recall in a match.

The supposed hand ball (which hit Jim Kerr on the back as he jumped up against a cross from the wing) was at least 3 feet outside the box, as can clearly be seen on the match highlights (still on youTube). But, the game's at Parkhead, and Roy wants a penalty, the home fans want a penalty, so after a brief spell of haranguing the ref - voila!  Roy gets his penalty... Home fans are happy, Roy is happy, so everything is alright with the world, and natural order against a diddy team is restored...

Sorry, no - it was an utter travesty; and there are plenty other examples, sadly. Fair to say I'd be pretty happy to see the use of VAR to put a stop to that sort of OF bias, so bring it on. 

There are times it will work for us, and all of us can probably think of examples that should have went in our favour.

What we probably struggle more with is remembering the times a decision may have gone against us.

I genuinely think smaller clubs will lose out more often than they will gain from VAR so I remain sceptical...

Pretty sure when they spoke about having VAR in Scotland on  sport sound the SFA/SPFL said it would cost too much money and that it would only be used in important games i.e. OF games nee doubt.

With the transfer market in full swing both North and South of the border, the Bairns are set to bolster their squad with as many as five new faces expected to arrive at The Falkirk Stadium in the next 48 hours. 

All of the team at Falkirk have been very busy getting ready for the new season especially the Manager, Paul Hartley, assistant manager, Gordon Young, and Head of Recruitment, Richard Mitchell.

It’s set to be a week full of interest.  Season Ticket Sales continue to progress well and on Friday evening at a special event the Season 2018/19 strips are launched. All of this is expected to add to the huge excitement and anticipation we are all feeling ahead of the new campaign which is now just weeks away.

Speaking to falkirkfc.co.uk, Falkirk manager, Paul Hartley, said: “I can see a real change in the market over the last 5-7 days with teams, particularly in England, where they are really starting to do their business.

“This has allowed us to progress with a number of our signing targets with deals now concluded for at least three of those players and I am extremely hopeful of another two also being signed up before we start for pre-season training on Wednesday.”

The Bairns’ boss also spoke of his excitement ahead of the players returning for pre-season training on Wednesday morning.

Hartley, commented: “I am very, very excited about the season which lies ahead. I love being out on the training pitch and I can’t wait to get this group of players together for the first time. This a fresh challenge and one which the coaching team are all looking forward to.

“There have been a lot of changes across the entire squad this summer and we will continue to be open to recruitment in the weeks ahead to add the right quality where we can.

“This a time for everyone at the club to be excited. We want to give the people of Falkirk a team to proud of. An attacking team that they know will give absolutely everything to the cause and provide entertainment on a Saturday afternoon, but most importantly, a winning team.”

Hartley also spoke of his gratitude to and admiration of all of those supporters who have already committed for the campaign ahead in the purchase of a Season Ticket.

He said: “I speak regularly with all of the staff at the club and I know that things are progressing well with Season Tickets sales. It’s quite simple, we want as many Falkirk fans  as possible behind the team on a weekly basis. As I have said before, I am determined to give them all a team to be proud of.”

Working closely alongside Paul Hartley and Richard Mitchell has been Chief Executive, Craig Campbell. Craig and the rest of the staff team at The Falkirk Stadium are set for another busy week both on and off the field as the countdown to the first league fixture against Inverness CT on Saturday 4th August really kicks into gear.

He said: “There has been a lot of change right across the club this summer both on and off the pitch. We have been working extremely hard to support Paul in every way that we can and also improve things operationally at the club.

“Among all of the hustle and bustle that a transfer window as busy as this brings, we have managed to improve our retail offering, re-design our club website and launch a new ticketing system that will make access to buying tickets for matches easier than ever.

“Everyone at Falkirk is working extremely hard to do everything they can to get this club promoted and I am sure once everyone is back in together on Wednesday there will be a great buzz around the stadium.”

Craig was also full of praise for the supporters who have already renewed or purchased their Season Ticket for the new campaign.

He added: “We have been really pleased with Season Ticket sales so far and we continue to see around a 20% improvement from this time last year. We are, as always, extremely grateful for the support and I would urge anyone who can afford to do so right now, not to delay and sign up for the next season in the coming week.

“This helps give us certainty around our budgets and all money brought in from Season Tickets sold over our budgeted target of 2,700 will be given to Paul Hartley to spend on our first team. Your support really can make a difference and we thank you all for that.”

Pretty sure when they spoke about having VAR in Scotland on  sport sound the SFA/SPFL said it would cost too much money and that it would only be used in important games i.e. OF games nee doubt.

In the short term it may have limited introduction but eventually I am sure it will increase in use across probably the top two divisions at least.

With the transfer market in full swing both North and South of the border, the Bairns are set to bolster their squad with as many as five new faces expected to arrive at The Falkirk Stadium in the next 48 hours.

F936E701-E44E-4184-BAD1-854DFFA6350C.gif

26 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

There are times it will work for us, and all of us can probably think of examples that should have went in our favour.

What we probably struggle more with is remembering the times a decision may have gone against us.

I genuinely think smaller clubs will lose out more often than they will gain from VAR so I remain sceptical...

Yeah, sceptical is fair enough RB; this is the SFA/SPFL we’re dealing with after all, and over the years there’s not much been done for the good of all (as opposed to the best for the few). 

20 hours ago, DeeBairn said:

I'm holding out for the inevitable Ronaldo VAR red card for diving, then I'll die laughing. 

20 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Probably not the right forum (yet), but I really dread the day VAR comes into action in Scottish football. Five penalties in four games today. If this carries on football will become a mockery with most games being decided on penalty incidents rather than good open play.
The biggest threat to our game imo, providing even less opportunities for smaller clubs to prevail.

Too much to hope perhaps for but might it  mitigate against the obligatory late dubious SeVco penalty?

34 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

very, very moist...