The Falkirk FC Thread

I didn't quite get the Jakubiak love in. He was highly skilful and could terrorise defenders but at the same time went missing a lot during games, didn't read the game well and his finishing on the whole was poor.  5 goals in 15 which I bet most were against lesser opposition. I think I'd prefer Nelson plus a natural goal scorer.

Edited by wee_bairn

6 minutes ago, wee_bairn said:

I didn't quite get the Jakubiak love in. He was highly skilful and could terrorise defenders but at the same time went missing a lot during games, didn't read the game well and his finishing on the whole was poor.  5 goals in 14 which I bet most were against lesser opposition. I think I'd prefer Nelson plus a natural goal scorer.

3 goals in 13 games for Nelson as opposed to 6 goals in 9 games for the Jak? Think you have them mixed up brer. 

Eta: fucked it. Never rely on wiki. 

As you were. 

Edited by Believe The Hype

I liked Jak but he needs to improve his game against the better sides . That said he didnt have much support at times especially after Nelson got injured. I think with the right partner up front though he'd score a barrowload.

27 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

3 goals in 13 games for Nelson as opposed to 6 goals in 9 games for the Jak? Think you have them mixed up brer. 

Eta: fucked it. Never rely on wiki. 

As you were. 

I think Nelson provides a more physical dimension to the attack hence why I said him plus a natural goal scorer. I don't think we'd have enough goals in the two of them. Nelsons all round game had a better contribution to the team than Jakubiak, in my opinion.

Eta: I got my stats from bettermeddle. Nelson in the league with 4 goals in 12.  Jakubiak with 5 in 15 (2 being sub appearances).

Edited by wee_bairn

11 minutes ago, wee_bairn said:

I think Nelson provides a more physical dimension to the attack hence why I said him plus a natural goal scorer. I don't think we'd have enough goals in the two of them. Nelsons all round game had a better contribution to the team than Jakubiak, in my opinion.

Eta: I got my stats from bettermeddle. Nelson in the league 4 goals in 12.  Jakubiak 5 in 15 (2 being sub appearances).

Put that ratio over a 36 game season and it'd be 12 goals. Add in the cups and it's not too much of a stretch to think he'd be a 20 goal a season striker. Soccerbase has him down as 7 in 18 if you count cups last year.

He needs to be smarter at times in the way he uses the ball and lift his head a bit more, but he looks an absolute nightmare to play against given his strength and pace. I'd agree that he's not the best striker I've seen at Falkirk and the love was a bit hysterical (see also Taiwo, Tom) but he's a clear talent.

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

Think it was the 2 year deal rather than just wages alone. 

Geggan and Moffat are both pish though. Fecks sake their seaside league players at best.  If Ayr are paying them more then they must be aff their trolley.

1 minute ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

I see on twitter that Hartley took a training session with the under 15's ahead of their final at the weekend. I have to admit I wasn't sure about him as our manager but he is rapidly growing on me now!

Is that a community side?

34 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Put that ratio over a 36 game season and it'd be 12 goals. Add in the cups and it's not too much of a stretch to think he'd be a 20 goal a season striker. Soccerbase has him down as 7 in 18 if you count cups last year.

He needs to be smarter at times in the way he uses the ball and lift his head a bit more, but he looks an absolute nightmare to play against given his strength and pace. I'd agree that he's not the best striker I've seen at Falkirk and the love was a bit hysterical (see also Taiwo, Tom) but he's a clear talent.

I agree he has talent and will only improve with experience of first team games. As you said, he looks an absolute nightmare to defend against. I'd rather fancy my chances marking against a male adult cheetah on speed.

On the flip side on his goal scoring ability, If you look at where his goals came from:- 2 x Brechin, 1 x an already relegated Dumbarton, 1 x Morton when they hit free fall and 1 x Livingston. His two cup goals both came against a Highland league side. Not impressive at all. Would be interesting to see what his assists stats were like.

Of course I would take him back dependant on who else the Don has in mind. I just wouldn't be overly confident with a strike force of Nelson, Jak, Lewis and O'Hara; which my initial reply was in response to. Dennon is an unknown who may well be our main goal scorer.

Whoever we sign, this is an exciting time to be a bairn. Gone are the days of signing proven journeyman diddies from the Scottish Leagues.

Edited by wee_bairn

That's got to sting losing players to that village team.
Surely Ayr aren't/weren't paying higher wages than Pars?

Both were surplus to requirements, Mof could only score against Morton. Actually, could have done with him on a 4 game a season contract...!

2 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Both were surplus to requirements, Mof could only score against Morton. Actually, could have done with him on a 4 game a season contract...!

So basically their a pish example of players moving on for bigger wages/contracts then as they were getting punted anyway.

Anyone know where Sibbs is going next. I presume now that we're a week past the deadline he won't be playing for us next season.

Edited by Shodwall cat

I didn't quite get the Jakubiak love in. He was highly skilful and could terrorise defenders but at the same time went missing a lot during games, didn't read the game well and his finishing on the whole was poor.  5 goals in 15 which I bet most were against lesser opposition. I think I'd prefer Nelson plus a natural goal scorer.

Very harsh with the comment about his finishing. I certainly thought he had an eye for goal and was a better finisher than Nelson.

Id suggest it would be hard to give an accurate indication of what Jak or Nelson could do with them only coming in on January, Jaks case really February . Nelson starting to find the net after a rocky start in missing a good few one on ones and both players are still learning in regard to their ages and first team football.

As for Jak, Im not so sure if he is a an out and out goalscorer, its the skill, a bit of pace and his assists he provides. A  bit of continuity is also a good thing if we did aim to get either Nelson or Jak back as no one knows what the new players bring to the dressing room on a daily basis.  A pre season and the experience of last season would see both Jak and Nelson improve on last season for me and better players around them.